PDA

View Full Version : Century L1A1 problem

ShinyGoon
June 15, 2002, 09:54
I picked up a Century Arms L1A1 last week. After that I started hitting these boards. Seems a lot of folks are not too impressed with the Century build, and after having the gun for 3 days I must agree.
This thing hits so far to the left I have run out of room to move the rear sight right, its buried and I am just catching the black on a Nation match standing target reduced to 100 yrds. BTW I fired from a bench. This thing is going back to the distributor monday unless It is a simple problem that perhaps one of you might have an idea about. If not, the distributor has Imbels too and will swap me up to one of those for a bit of extra money. I do like the L1A1 and I have ordered a bunch of spare mags and wood for it so I would like to get this one rockin', but I dont want to get stuck with a lemon either. And the more I hear about Century and after their lack of concern when I contacted them about it, ( their advise was "we cant help you. call the distributor") I am leaning toward spending some more cash to get something useable.
But I am hoping that this sight problem is something simple that I am not aware off, any ideas? thanks

FWRA
June 15, 2002, 10:11
Call your dealer and he'll contact them for an return auth. number and have it replaced under warranty. Once you have that number, put it on the outside of the box and ship it back yourself UPS Ground. They'll fix it and send it back to you or if replaced they'll send to your FFL and you'll have to fill out another 4473.

This assumes it was a new rifle and not a used one. The Century Invoice has provisions for return on the back.

No biggie. Turnaround is usually just a few weeks.

FWRA

aleph_beth
June 15, 2002, 13:31
barrel timing could be off (undertimed)
lots of info has been archived here about barrel timing.
personally, i think you could fix it yourself, but why would you if it is a new gun. they should make it right.
you are going to be happier if you ''upgrade" to the imbel i think, ahh, but this is an inch pattern, did you order inch mags?
the imbel is metric . i like the inch sight picture but i like the metric precision.

W.E.G.
June 15, 2002, 18:41
If it shoots to the right, the barrel is too tight.

ShinyGoon
June 16, 2002, 16:51
So , no simple solutions, darn. Heh. Guess my best bet is to let it go back, pay some more money and get the Imbel. I should have known considering how cheap the Century L1A1 was/is. Darn again. :( :rolleyes: I was hoping I only had to turn a knob somewhere...

ShinyGoon
June 25, 2002, 22:51
I sent it back. waiting for a replacement but in the meantime got a Imbel 444. Pacific armament corp stamped under Imbel line. Laser etched: model 444 308 sporter Liberty Armory Liberty TX under ejection port.
Feel and fit much tighter than Cent L1A1. Anyone have anything to say about this build? It hits the range tomorrow, unless its pouring rain. heh

charlie echo
June 26, 2002, 08:33
Aw, dude, you jumped the gun. The knob you needed to turn was the barrel. Just squeeze the receiver up in a padded vise, hook a pipe wrench onto yer barrel flats, gitcher cheater pipe on there, and crank her on in a little ways til you center your group.

Eh ben, tant pis, chaq'un a son gout.

TinMan99
June 26, 2002, 10:18
Don't forget to take a scewdriver and index the barrel to the receiver BEFORE you start turning the wrench! That little line is essential in making fine adjustments the right way!

TinMan99