PDA

View Full Version : Barreling - OK to tap that thing home?

LarryLove
June 14, 2002, 21:29
Hi all,

Just barreled my first receiver: Imbel receiver viced in an Elliot block, using wrench to turn the G1 barrel. Got it as far with man-strength as I could. So I used a hammer to tap (beat, actually) the wrench and thus turn the barrel the final 0.25 degrees. My big question is, was it ok to do that? I know the ideal is to gently but firmly crunch the barrel home, but it wasn't happening.

I'll add that the barrel properly timed to 1030-1100 range with hand-turning, and I'm sure I could back the barrel out of the receiver if I had to (I don't think it's stuck or jammed in there). I think it's an overall good barrel job, I just had to beat on it a little. Is a little tapping acceptable?

3doghouse
June 14, 2002, 21:36
I think what you end up with is more important than how you did it. Check the timing by your choice of method, and if it's good, it's good.

The main reason I'm afraid of "tapping it on" is the concern of making the wrench slip off of the barrel flats, and round them... which I have done.

I know Casey was having a hard time finding a manufacturer for his -almost not fair to call it a barrel vise-cuz-it's-just-too-nice-barrel vise, but you really can't beat a barrel vise if you can find or make one.

There was a post in this section not too long ago featuring a very innovative and simple vise made from some angular brackets - cheap and easy!!!

All that having been said, if it is timed right now, you don't need to mess with it!

Good luck!

goose
June 14, 2002, 21:38
Ideally I would have used an extension on the end of your wrench. Makes it effortless to turn that barrel on. I use a three foot pipe that slips over my open end wrench. As far as damage goes I have know idea.

LarryLove
June 14, 2002, 21:43
Originally posted by goose
Ideally I would have used an extension on the end of your wrench. Makes it effortless to turn that barrel on. I use a three foot pipe that slips over my open end wrench

I wanted to do that, but didn't have anything handy and the stores were closed, so I figured, what the hell. I know, slow and steady wins the race, but when gun fever takes over it's gotta get done now, now, now.

3doghouse
June 14, 2002, 21:48
Maybe I was the kid that always managed to get the square peg in the round hole, but I have actually done worse with leverage than with a BFH (yes, I managed to do damage with both).

I'm sure there is a happy medium, and I'm not trying to sound like a shop snob - I should post photos of my (basement) shop to prove it, but I don't want to get laughed off the board.

Anyway... IMHO the receiver wrench in the bench vise method is a very poor substitute for even a WECSOG'ed barrel vise.

bykerhd
June 14, 2002, 22:24
Using Casey's action wrench & barrel vise, 1/2" breaker bar with 3/4" adaptor and a 4'(approx)pipe(handle off my 3 ton floor jack)works very well to finesse the action that last little bit.
At least on the last two.