PDA

View Full Version : M14 Clone - mag issue

tower06
June 12, 2017, 07:31
Was out at the range with my dad yesterday, and took out my Armscorp M21. I will qualify this by saying it hasn't been shot much since I had it built by Fulton Armory back in 1998. That being said, she shoots amazing, but had some mag issues which I was hoping someone could help me with. I was using Checkmate 15 round mags and Korean 5 rounder's. I ran into two issues. First, one of the Korean mags would constantly fail to feed after about 2 rounds. Looks like the follower would tilt and jam in the mag body. Secondly, I was having issues with all mags dumping the first round when I would load a mag with the bolt open. Basically as I inserted the mag, and tried to rock it back, the first round would pop out. Am I doing something wrong? I couldn't figure out what the round was hitting that made it pop. With a closed bolt, no issues like this whatsoever.

Any help would be appreciated.

Invictus77
June 12, 2017, 08:04
Not uncommon with the Korean mags. I would toss them in the trash and not look back.

The Checkmate mag I am not familiar with.

2barearms
June 12, 2017, 08:24
New receivers and magazines can be problematic until the sharp edges
are burnished. I'd go get some used GI M14 mags and look carefully at
the left side of the breach for metal shaving.

tower06
June 12, 2017, 08:45
New receivers and magazines can be problematic until the sharp edges
are burnished. I'd go get some used GI M14 mags and look carefully at
the left side of the breach for metal shaving.

The Checkmates are actually issue mags but cut down my manufacturer to 15 for NJ compliance. I guess I will have to spend some more time behind the sights to break it in and see how it does. Its only the second time Ive shot it. Used in in a NRA match about 8 years ago, and it was cleaned and put away. My dad was actually quite impressed at how spot on the rifle is. My shoulder is a little sore this morning, but well worth it , spending a day at the range with dad.

ServiceRifle
June 12, 2017, 10:15
Clearly - BOTH issues are the mags. Trash the Korean mag - and as far as the "cutdown" Checkmate all I can say is move to a free State where you're Constitutional rights are not infringed. Support the movement for a Constitutional Convention - it's the ONLY way these things are going to be resolved.

I would try loading only 14 rounds in the "cutdown" 15 round Checkmate

tower06
June 12, 2017, 10:26
Clearly - BOTH issues are the mags. Trash the Korean mag - and as far as the "cutdown" Checkmate all I can say is move to a free State where you're Constitutional rights are not infringed. Support the movement for a Constitutional Convention - it's the ONLY way these things are going to be resolved.

I would try loading only 14 rounds in the "cutdown" 15 round Checkmate

Sorry, but to clarify, I mis-spoke. Its a factory built mag made for 15 rounds. I tend to say cutdown for any bastardized mag. Its not a full size cutdown.

As for moving to a free state, not an option as of now. I still hold out hope, that the citizens of this state will wise up and clean house in Trenton. May take some time, but could happen.

ArtBanks
June 12, 2017, 12:46
About the only reason for a round to pop out would be feed lips being bent improperly. Shouldn't be anything hitting a round in the mag to displace it. That is unless receiver geometry is off.
Did you have this problem with you first had the rifle? Is the bolt lock USGI or an aftermarket?

HD-Ghost
June 12, 2017, 12:54
Magazines are the heart of any automatic; don't skimp. Stick with USGI, which is what Checkmate is. I convert mags for the disenfranchised states, so can help you there if you need some good ones.

As to Armscorp, I have never handled any but have heard various stories. Some could be good, some bad. Like getting a car built on Monday.

1911Ron
June 12, 2017, 17:42
Are the rounds seated all of the way to the rear?

raubvogel
June 13, 2017, 05:48
Could you get some snap caps and slowly bring the bolt forward as you see how it feeds in hopes you can catch where it is getting unhappy?

2barearms
June 13, 2017, 06:55
Magazines are the heart of any automatic; don't skimp. Stick with USGI, which is what Checkmate is. I convert mags for the disenfranchised states, so can help you there if you need some good ones.

As to Armscorp, I have never handled any but have heard various stories. Some could be good, some bad. Like getting a car built on Monday.

They had issues with quite a few early on....then when they made a batch with programming errors etc they sold them as scrap/seconds to Sarco.

tower06
June 13, 2017, 07:57
About the only reason for a round to pop out would be feed lips being bent improperly. Shouldn't be anything hitting a round in the mag to displace it. That is unless receiver geometry is off.
Did you have this problem with you first had the rifle? Is the bolt lock USGI or an aftermarket?

All USGI. Don't recall having that problem before. Then again, it hasn't been shot since about 2008-09.

tower06
June 13, 2017, 07:59

The rifle started as a stripped receiver. Picked it up at SARCO before then high tailed it out of this state. Fulton Armory checked it before they built. I specifically asked that they check the geometry to make sure it was GTG. From what I recall, no issues found.

tower06
June 13, 2017, 07:59
Are the rounds seated all of the way to the rear?

Going to take it out again next week to see if it happens with the Checkmates.

tower06
June 13, 2017, 08:00
Could you get some snap caps and slowly bring the bolt forward as you see how it feeds in hopes you can catch where it is getting unhappy?

Don't have any, but will pick some up and try it. Thanks

tower06
June 13, 2017, 08:02
They had issues with quite a few early on....then when they made a batch with programming errors etc they sold them as scrap/seconds to Sarco.

That's why I had Fulton check the receiver before the build. I had heard that. I think it was earlier receivers though. I have to check my serial #, but I believe, mine was after that time frame.

Jarhead504
June 13, 2017, 19:43
Do not trash the Korean M-14 clone mags just yet. Get a hold of an "Armalite" of Geneseo. IL AR-10 mag, note and measure EXACTLY where and the size hole they make in the side of the mag, then get a quality hole saw and drill the hole as they did. Dress it up inside and out with files and finishing stones. Bam! Now you have some "Armalite" AR-10 mags which may be wrothy of selling or trading. If you shit can them, you don't have that chance.

NEVER use an original, scarce, good condition USGI M-14 magazine to convert to an Armalite of Geneseo, IL AR-10 mag but always use an import or Checkmate brand to do so. Some Checkmate mags, typically the "early" ones were reported to be of dubious quality.

I have had mag feeding problems in various M-14 clones and the root of the problem turned out to be the STOCKS involved, again typically after-market stocks. Magazine feeding peculiarity is the NUMBER ONE reason you should ALWAYS bring the rifle needing mags to the gunshow in order TO TEST EVERY MAG in said rifle BEFORE you buy the magazines. IF THEY FIT, throw down your money and grab them. I have seen plenty M-12 mags that will only work in certain M-14 clones. The same goes for FAL mags and I supposed other semi-auto, magazine fed, military-style, look-a-likes,

HTH,
Jarhead

tower06
June 15, 2017, 07:48
Do not trash the Korean M-14 clone mags just yet. Get a hold of an "Armalite" of Geneseo. IL AR-10 mag, note and measure EXACTLY where and the size hole they make in the side of the mag, then get a quality hole saw and drill the hole as they did. Dress it up inside and out with files and finishing stones. Bam! Now you have some "Armalite" AR-10 mags which may be wrothy of selling or trading. If you shit can them, you don't have that chance.

NEVER use an original, scarce, good condition USGI M-14 magazine to convert to an Armalite of Geneseo, IL AR-10 mag but always use an import or Checkmate brand to do so. Some Checkmate mags, typically the "early" ones were reported to be of dubious quality.

I have had mag feeding problems in various M-14 clones and the root of the problem turned out to be the STOCKS involved, again typically after-market stocks. Magazine feeding peculiarity is the NUMBER ONE reason you should ALWAYS bring the rifle needing mags to the gunshow in order TO TEST EVERY MAG in said rifle BEFORE you buy the magazines. IF THEY FIT, throw down your money and grab them. I have seen plenty M-12 mags that will only work in certain M-14 clones. The same goes for FAL mags and I supposed other semi-auto, magazine fed, military-style, look-a-likes,

HTH,
Jarhead

Thanks for the idea about the AR10 mags. I have a receiver in the safe waiting to be assembled. I will do that. My Checkmates were purchased in 2006-07 so not sure if they are problem mags. As for stock. I have a GI Birch that I stripped and refinished, so not thinking that is the problem