PDA

View Full Version : Headspace ? This seems odd....

rekvehicle
June 14, 2002, 19:41
Well, got the barrell screwed in all the way to the receiver and it stops at about 10 o`clock .Now I know I need to shave the shoulder ,but, the chamber face is all the way inside the receiver and I don`t think it will turn in anymore,How do I approach this? thanks in advance everyone.RV:confused:

Antares
June 14, 2002, 21:46
Very slowly file the chamber face. Check yur hand timing often as ya can.

There shouldnt be any pressure on the chamber face

3doghouse
June 14, 2002, 21:50
I agree, and by the way, what kind of reciever is it?

goose
June 14, 2002, 22:34
This is just FYI. I'm working on timing an imbel barrel on a gear logo receiver. It hand timed just like yours. Had another imbel barrel... screwed it in and it timed at 11:00 with no contact of chamber face. Go figure!

rekvehicle
June 15, 2002, 08:38
#dog , it is an Imbel from CAI.I will try ya`lls suggestion.Thanks.

MM in NM
June 15, 2002, 10:15
Clean the barrel face squeeky clean then get out your handy regular black magic marker and "blacken" the barrel where you suspect it is hitting the receiver.. Screw barrel in hand tight until it bottoms. Where the magic marker is rubbed off is where you should do some file work.
Repeat.
It's not uncommon to find a barrel that interferes in the barrel face area. The fact is that these things often take some common sense hand fitting when assembling, that's the name of the game.

rwwje
June 15, 2002, 22:44
Don't shave the barrel shoulder until AFTER you remove about 0.011" from the barrel face (the area contacting receiver). You will need to remove 0.00173" from a barrel face in contact with the receiver for each 10 degrees from TDC. ;)

NSingle
June 18, 2002, 19:39
Any luck yet on these tips? Mine same way, tried above, no luck yet.

rekvehicle
June 19, 2002, 01:18
Have`nt had a chance yet to try the suggestions.Too much other stuff going on right now to have ahance to work on the gun.Hope to soon though.Thanks everyone.RV