PDA

View Full Version : Flash hider

Northwoods
June 11, 2017, 06:36
I have a neutered bbl. Fal. Threads cut off and recrowned. Canadian built inch with metric mag well. I wondered if a slip on flash hider can be epoxied on rather than welding or silver soldered? I don't want to refinish the bbl. I also do not want the hider to go downrange !

3Gunnah
June 11, 2017, 07:02
What about having a gunsmith thread the barrel and rekey it and then you can just use a standard flash hider. Refinishing should not be an issue as the threads would be underneath the flash hider and hidden from View.

MAINER
June 11, 2017, 08:12
Yeah, what he said. ^^ :D

With the high amount of force applied to a muzzle devise by the .308, a "slip-on" would need to be silver soldered and pinned at the least. Highly recommend threading.

I have an L1A1 FH if you need one, but lacks the pin and donut for the slot. The L1A1 also needs to be timed.

Northwoods
June 11, 2017, 12:56
I have the donut and pin with it. When they chopped it they left half of the slot for the donut. Just did not want to go the shipping route.

Pluribus
June 11, 2017, 15:29
I have a neutered bbl. Fal. Threads cut off and recrowned. Canadian built inch with metric mag well. I wondered if a slip on flash hider can be epoxied on rather than welding or silver soldered? I don't want to refinish the bbl. I also do not want the hider to go downrange !

No, thread it, pin it, weld it, solder it but, do not epoxy to a smooth barrel. It will not hold.

I say again, It will not hold. over...

Northwoods
June 11, 2017, 20:37
I am going to have it threaded. I just needed to think it through. I do not half ass aynything so I agree. No sense in sending a good flashider down range. I had an Fal L1A1 blow up with a round that did not chamber fully but still fired. That was a life changer.

3Gunnah
June 12, 2017, 11:30
There is a guy up in Auburn Maine that does that kind of work he is really good. He is a Class 2 manufacturer. Happens to be a friend of mine I'll give him a call and ask him if he's ever done one and what he would charge. He probably won't even need to take your Barrel off your receiver. I watched him crown an M1 garand Barrel still connected to the receiver using his lathe.

Northwoods
June 12, 2017, 15:03
Do you have a name and number. I will give him a call. I am close to Auburn. I have been in shop there before and looked around.

Northwoods
June 17, 2017, 06:32
Reids Gun in Auburn did it for me. Came out very nice.