PDA

View Full Version : Brass gouges on scope mount

withergyld
June 14, 2002, 19:15
I got my Tapco 3rd gen scope mount on Tuesday. I went to the range today and shot 200 rnds. I am getting brass gouges on the bottom surface of the ejection port. These aren't brass kisses, the area is getting beat up and is now very rough. Has any one else had this problem with their scope mount?

capman
June 15, 2002, 10:36
Yes, that is normal. I saw a DSA mount that must have been on a rifle for thousands of rounds, it looked like it was tag teamed by a cold chisel and a rough file.

You could put a buffer there, some thick black tape or stick on velcro.

HTH

cap

Xenophon
June 15, 2002, 10:56
I opine that unless the aluminum is hard-coated (MilSpec) then the brass will ding the port. Put a small piece of tape there and see what occurs.

withergyld
June 15, 2002, 11:13
Thanks, I wasn't sure if this was typical of an aluminum scope mount or not. I'll try putting something there to soften the blows.

W.E.G.
June 15, 2002, 18:31
I have a DSA mount with a bunch of dings.

No big deal. Its a shooter. I figure it will last 20,000+ rounds before it fails.

The only gun that isn't scratched or damaged is one that is never fired.

FWRA
June 15, 2002, 19:38
Originally posted by Warrior-Poet
I opine that unless the aluminum is hard-coated (MilSpec) then the brass will ding the port. Put a small piece of tape there and see what occurs.

Mil Spec hard coat may slow the process down a bit but aluminum is still going to gouge and get nicked up within a couple of hundred rounds. The necks of the empties will do their nasty job real quick no matter the finish. Mil Spec hardening of aluminum is not clear through. (remember Williams claim of 70rc hardening? Translated into "buyers speak" that means it's hardened to a depth of only a few thousandths of an inch.)

FWRA