PDA

View Full Version : Sharing - PSA weekend deal

Eyeguy
June 09, 2017, 11:49
Not an AR guy but this looks like a great price if you want to get into .308

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-rifle-516446226.html?trk_msg=6AUSGQ12V6F43D1LA8ARI5UML8&trk_contact=0VB4UAD25TD8086DMF5DTOCC14&trk_sid=86OQOP75AUSECFTHA011GIQFJ4&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fps a-gen2-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-rifle-516446226.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=12%3a00+Email

hellfish
June 09, 2017, 16:27

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-gen2-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-rifle-516446226.html?trk_msg=6AUSGQ12V6F43D1LA8ARI5UML8&trk_contact=0VB4UAD25TD8086DMF5DTOCC14&trk_sid=86OQOP75AUSECFTHA011GIQFJ4&utm_source=Listrak&utm_medium=email&utm_term=http%3a%2f%2fpalmettostatearmory.com%2fps a-gen2-pa10-18-mid-length-308-win-stainless-steel-lightweight-m-lok-rifle-516446226.html&utm_campaign=Daily+Deal+Email&utm_content=12%3a00+Email

does anyone have one of their GEN 2 .308 rifles ? What are your thoughts?
I tried looking for some reviews and can't find anyone saying anything positive regarding these rifles.

Falfan2017
June 09, 2017, 16:35
Armalite defender can be had in 308 for another 100$. That's the route I'd go

Eyeguy
June 09, 2017, 17:50

Not intended as an endorsement gentlemen; as stated I'm not an AR guy; certainly others here have some knowledge of the PSA AR 308; good or bad.

Just not often you see a 40% discount on new product. Maybe that's a sign....

nopec
June 09, 2017, 19:40
Nice parts spec. I'd prefer a chromed or melonite barrel, but hard to complain about 416r for 699.

June 10, 2017, 06:01
I have a friend who has one. His functions flawlessly, and the accuracy outstanding when using match grade ammo. If he sees what the price is right now, he's going to be sick. He paid a bunch more.

hueyville
June 10, 2017, 09:48
I have a friend who has one. His functions flawlessly, and the accuracy outstanding when using match grade ammo. If he sees what the price is right now, he's going to be sick. He paid a bunch more.

Learned there is no profit in telling a friend he could have done something different, better or cheaper. When mix friends with ego, feelings and money it's better to keep your mouth shut. Tried to save a friend from a six figure mistake couple years ago, when he realized I was right, has not really spoken with me since. Another is about to do same exact thing just 30 minutes south of me rather than 30 minutes north. Repeating almost exact method my other friend did trying to do the same thing, (rescue a house purchased pre 2008 with a predatory loan, owes more than paid and double current appraised value) has not spoken with me since. People get really odd when emotionally attached to an object and a friend even implies their impulse purchase was not best way to achieve results wanted and suggests a bether way to extract themselves. Do yourself a favor and don't tell the guy about the sale.

raubvogel
June 10, 2017, 16:47
Learned there is no profit in telling a friend he could have done something different, better or cheaper. When mix friends with ego, feelings and money it's better to keep your mouth shut. Tried to save a friend from a six figure mistake couple years ago, when he realized I was right, has not really spoken with me since. Another is about to do same exact thing just 30 minutes south of me rather than 30 minutes north. Repeating almost exact method my other friend did trying to do the same thing, (rescue a house purchased pre 2008 with a predatory loan, owes more than paid and double current appraised value) has not spoken with me since. People get really odd when emotionally attached to an object and a friend even implies their impulse purchase was not best way to achieve results wanted and suggests a bether way to extract themselves. Do yourself a favor and don't tell the guy about the sale.

Some people equate friends with yesmen

hueyville
June 10, 2017, 19:47
Some people equate friends with yesmen

And when ask for advice are really just wanting someone to validate the course of action they have already chosen.

Segway off. If not highly committed to some other purchases and spent huge on AR 15 and FAL stuff this year (more to date than any other entire single year and only half way through) plus another M1a, would buy one or two of the rifles O.P. linked in this thread, go shoot the piss out of them till all parts well meshed to each other, pile of proven magazines for each one then would buy a really nice barrel and bolt for the Bolt Carrier Group and put originals back as spares. While swapping barrels would do trigger jobs and square front of upper receivers. Bet it would really perk them up quite nicely.

Did an AR 15 trigger job today using $29 nickle boron milspec trigger, JP 3.5 Enhanced Reliability spring kit and installed grub screw in top of pistol grip hole. Used hammer and sear jig, squared hammer notch using a stone, hit with 240 grit then 400 grit paper on a machinists flat. Hit top and front of sear same so front of trigger was perfectly square, shiny as a new penny and mated perfectly with hammer. Touched mating surfaces of hammer and disconnector and ran trigger pins across the fine polish wheel at polishing station. Put it all together and measures 3.2 pounds but zero creep or travel and super crisp break, feels slick as any AR trigger currently own. Better feel than my Geisseles or RRA National Match two stage triggers as don't have a first stage to take up and get trigger to breaking point of sear. Just place finger, soon as start pressing it breaks like an icesickle and stops almost immediately after hammer falls and resets immediately.

Purchased two White Oak Armament 24" 5.56 Wylde varmint 1" straight taper heavy barrels and going to build them both 100% identical down to every detail except my last Geissele two stage is going in one and my totally worked over milspec triggers in the other. Then get two other people and all shoot them at 100 and 200 yards and see how much, if any difference in group size is. Been doing so many triggers lately about have the milspec trigger job figured out. If result is what I expect going to go back and pull every Geissele and RRA out of every AR except two then repurpose only in builds use true target grade air gauged barrels. Doesn't make sense to have nice trigger in rifle with average barrel now that believe have the right combo worked out for what I want in most AR 15's for under $40 on a new build or $10 if massaging a factory rifle. Going to have my two ringers shoot some of the rifles plan to swap triggers in before remove the high end units and drop my tweaked milspec units in at range and see if groups open up in real life. Have 500 rounds of Tubbs DTAC 5.56 match ammo with 69 grain SMK's and 200 rounds of Black Hills 52 grain Match for the slow twist barrels. Going to really try and be scientific about it.

ALL FAL
June 10, 2017, 20:56
I do notice an increase in .308 AR Wants in the last few months, working my way into one now. :biggrin: