PDA

View Full Version : oven cured paint

droog
June 14, 2002, 16:56
When baking these parts in the oven is it a good idea to make a rack of some sort to hang the parts from?:confused: :confused: :confused:

joanroco
June 14, 2002, 17:58
I recentlyl baked a scope mount, receiver cover and handguards in a toaster oven.

First I tried laying some test strips face down directly on the rack -The finish was marred at the contact points.

So I mounted the parts on posts created by bolts held to the rack with washers and screws. I placed the parts on the posts, painted side up.

I used Dutch Boy#3604 - Flat Black Enamel.
I cleaned the parts thoroughly with acetone.
Multiple LIGHT coats with drying time in between.
Cooked at 275 degrees for 1.25 hours.
(or until it's no longer tacky)

It came out ready to use (after cooling for a few minutes).
It was very scratch resistant.
And it covered the scratches and dings that were there before.

Snakeshot
June 14, 2002, 18:45
The paint is soft, especially while baking. The more you can suspend or support everything, the better the results.

It also helps to let parts cool slowly and gently, then cure for a while, before assembly.

June 14, 2002, 20:23
Did a rifle with KG Gunkote and put the parts right on the rack with no noticable marks. I let the parts dry in the hot sun for about 30 minutes before baking. YMMV

The instructions say to suspend the parts.

Adventurer_96
June 14, 2002, 23:27
I just got through using Brownell's baking lacquer, and I had to use a coathanger to suspend parts in the oven for baking. I ran out of baking lacquer and switched to Alumahyde II at the same time that I had to figure out how to coat things like pins and the receiver cover which don't suspend well. So, I don't know how that finish would look with contact with another piece while baking.

davem3
June 15, 2002, 00:18
I put one rack in the highest position & take the rest out. Then hang the parts down from it on soft iron wire so they are in the center. Large or long pieces take two wire hangers but this avoids them touching anything. Dave

jeffrey
June 15, 2002, 09:54
Ditto to Davem3..worked for me.

The directions on the Brownells paint say the parts should be
warmed before spraying.What worked for me was to string the
parts on short pieces of wire,put on rubber gloves,and do the final
degreasing.Then I fired up the wifes blowdryer and used it to heat the pieces.While I sprayed one part, the next was getting hot. It got the pieces almost too hot to hold,and the paint dried almost on contact. Then there was less chance of marring the
finish while hanging parts from the oven rack.

droog
June 15, 2002, 10:26
Its yard and garage sale season in this neck of the woods so today Im going out in search of the biggest toaster oven I can find. Ill bet in the last thirty years Ive tossed out at least four or five of them things wished now I would have kept at least one of them.:D :D

cookie
June 15, 2002, 17:23
Per my wife's instructions :rolleyes: I put aluminum foil on a cookie sheet and placed the parts directly on it. It's worked perfectly using GunKote and Brownell's Moly. No marks, nice even finish. :)

Adventurer_96
June 15, 2002, 23:51
Another option is using a barbecue grill, if you have an accurate thermometer.

It seems to me that four to five days after application the baking lacquer is even harder than before. Has anyone else noticed this?

I can't wait to see how the AlumahydeII works out, I think it's a good option too, especially when you run out of baking lacquer for the small parts...:rolleyes: