PDA

View Full Version : AK barrel question

lew
June 05, 2017, 12:24
Howdy,

I have a brand new nitrided, US-made AK barrel. In addition to the gas hole, and muzzle threads, it only has the half-round pin slot near the handguard retainer, and is lacking any other cuts- front sight and rear sight bases, gas block.

Should a new AK barrel have had these operations performed already?

Guy-epic
June 05, 2017, 13:25
Howdy,

I have a brand new nitrided, US-made AK barrel. In addition to the gas hole, and muzzle threads, it only has the half-round pin slot near the handguard retainer, and is lacking any other cuts- front sight and rear sight bases, gas block.

Should a new AK barrel have had these operations performed already?

Depends on the barrel and what form it was purchased. Likely as Ak barrels have other issues as you will soon find out if you build on it. If you ever see a real Russian AKM barrel it's will have a row of numbers. They are the size of parts need to build on it. So it may need a number 2 sight a number 3 gas port and a 1 trunion

lew
June 05, 2017, 14:43
Are new barrels supposed to be lacking those cuts so they can be added at the time of assembly?

Bonac9
June 05, 2017, 20:04
I've never had one with any of those cuts. My experience is pretty limited in that respect though, only 3. I'd guess they don't usually cut them though because of the minor differences between different country's parts. It would sort of suck if when you put your rear sight block, or gas block, on if they weren't cut in the right spot for your pins.

slavicshooter
June 05, 2017, 20:48
..."poot on fahkin tang vitch hammer, den shootan fahkin ting". I don't know if this is sound advise.:facepalm:~ss
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c118/slavicshooter/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-06/Screenshot_20170605-203729_zpsxf4gwj6x_edit_1496713194293_zpsdeygnrjf. jpeg (http://s26.photobucket.com/user/slavicshooter/media/Mobile%20Uploads/2017-06/Screenshot_20170605-203729_zpsxf4gwj6x_edit_1496713194293_zpsdeygnrjf. jpeg.html)

akinnepa
June 05, 2017, 21:57
Are new barrels supposed to be lacking those cuts so they can be added at the time of assembly?

Yes, you will need to drill and team each pin hole.

The only things your barrel should have are the extractor cut on chamber face, handguard retainer slots and detent.

lew
June 06, 2017, 12:04
Yes, you will need to drill and team each pin hole.

The only things your barrel should have are the extractor cut on chamber face, handguard retainer slots and detent.

Got it. Thanks for the confirmation.

How difficult is it to cut through a nitrided surface?

Guy-epic
June 06, 2017, 13:15
Got it. Thanks for the confirmation.

How difficult is it to cut through a nitrided surface?

It's not hard at all as it's a very thin shell, similar to blueing but different. It is dipped at a high temp to nitride the barrel. When completed it has a "shell" that is hard, but a softer core. The funny thing is nitride is a cheap version of getting steel hardened on the extior. The process has been around for many years on other applications, it's just that getting barrels chromed is so expensive that companies had to figure out a different way to produce barrels other then chrome lined, or double chromed? ! Ugh I digress.

lew
June 07, 2017, 11:55
Much appreciated, Guy. I ordered a new barrel with everything fitted, but I'll see if we can't get the nitrided barrel outfitted so I can use all the nice Polish parts I have. Either way, I have a spare barrel, and I like spare parts (until they get out of hand and become a new rifle).