PDA

View Full Version : A1 Butt stock trimmings

MAINER
June 05, 2017, 09:14
Have an A1 stock on the way, but need Buffer Tube, Buffer, Sling Tab, Buttplate and screw.

Anyone know where to find a steel tube? $48.00, really? All I see are aluminum, anything wrong with that?
Steel plates w/trap door available somewhere? Keep turning up plastic.

Thanks for any info you may be able to provide.

mikeuniform
June 05, 2017, 12:24
Here's parts for the tube, buffer etc.

http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/lowerreceiverparts.aspx

As for the buttplate, that's how they were from the factory.

Mebsuta
June 05, 2017, 12:47
I don't think there are steel buffer tubes. Military rifels had 7075 aluminum, but they are expensive and hard to find. Apex used to have them. Brownells might have them. The aftermarket buffer tubes are 6061.

Think the 7075 one is 160-306-100WB AR15A4 Receiver Extension. Mfr Part: SP64994 at Brownells.

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts/receiver-parts/buffer-tube-parts/buffer-tubes/ar15a4-receiver-extension-prod4857.aspx

Bonac9
June 05, 2017, 12:59
I'd look around on Sarco.com, Appex.com, or www.gunpartscorp.com for the butt plate. I got my A1 sbutt stock from the later, came with the stock, sling loop, lower screw, and trap-door plate, for a decent price. Don't know if they have any A1 butt plates by themselves in stock. On one note though, they originally sent me an A2 butt plate, but sent the right one after I got a hold of them. Try Brownell's for the tube, buffer, spring, and upper screw if you don't find them elsewhere.
As for the above reply,
"As for the buttplate, that's how they were from the factory. "
Not sure what you mean here. Late model A1s have the metal trap door butt plates, earlier ones had a solid rubber pad with no trap door, and they went to the plastic trap door models with A2s and after.

yovinny
June 05, 2017, 13:26
"As for the buttplate, that's how they were from the factory. "
Not sure what you mean here. Late model A1s have the metal trap door butt plates, earlier ones had a solid rubber pad with no trap door, and they went to the plastic trap door models with A2s and after.

Really ??
Any chances for some pics, because I was active duty when we went from the A1 to the A2. In fact I worked on probably thousands of A1's doing overseas inspections and dont recall ever seeing a single example with a trap door.
Now all the first A2's we got had metal trap doors,,,,the cheap plastic trap doors I never even saw until much later in the free world.

ftierson
June 05, 2017, 13:40
Really ??
Any chances for some pics, because I was active duty when we went from the A1 to the A2. In fact I worked on probably thousands of A1's doing overseas inspections and dont recall ever seeing a single example with a trap door.
Now all the first A2's we got had metal trap doors,,,,the cheap plastic trap doors I never even saw until much later in the free world.

The Colt SP-1 that I bought in 1974 came with a trap (and an A1 FS). One that I got for someone the year before had no trap and a 3-prong FS...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

Bonac9
June 05, 2017, 14:22
Really ??

Don't know about the early A2s, never saw one to long after my active duty. For that matter I never saw one until the one I mentioned was sent to me by mistake, and I had to look into it, thinking it was some after market thing they were trying to pass off as an A1 butt plate. Of the approx. 800-900 I handled in the early to mid 80s I'd guess about 5-10% had the old style rubber butt, I only saw 1 with the rubber butt and 3 prong flash hider in service, and all the rest had the metal trap doors.
Don't know, maybe it was a regional thing, this was at Ft. Lewis, and not over seas.
The one thing I can add, is I never saw an A1 with a plastic trap door, which is what inspired my original comment.

mikeuniform
June 05, 2017, 14:33
You might have seen the trap door itself being metal but the plate itself was/is plastic.
As for the solid non trapdoor buttplate, that was the type D buttstock some saw.

Go to this site, click on "military rifles", then find "Military Rifle Components Guide"

http://www.retroblackrifle.com/

yovinny
June 05, 2017, 20:23
You might have seen the trap door itself being metal but the plate itself was/is plastic.
As for the solid non trapdoor buttplate, that was the type D buttstock some saw.

Go to this site, click on "military rifles", then find "Military Rifle Components Guide"

http://www.retroblackrifle.com/

Thanks,,,learned sometin new...:smile:

I was at Benning mid 80's,,,ended up working a few weeks doing what they called 'overseas inspections'...Since the civilian employees were under the gun and just swimming it piles of A1's..This was for change from A1 to A2,,guess the old, beat training A1's were being shipped somewhere 'over there' and needed inspection before crating..handled literally a ton of A1's,,but I dont remember ever seeing a one with a trap door when checking for broke stocks..

MAINER
June 06, 2017, 10:37
Thanks all. Mebs, that is what I'm looking for, just wish the freight was lower. I run a low budget operation, not by choice. :tongue:

I am not doing a retro, so doesn't matter if the Buttplate is A1 or A2, just would like it to be metal, not plastic.

Found an A R Stoner 7075 tube at Midway for $40, but prefer to do business at Brownells.

I'm danged if I can remember what the Butts wore on the M16's we had in '65- '66. I don't remember any trap doors, so guess they were rubber? Remember guys trying the "Shoot from the chin" trick and one of them loosing a tooth for the effort.
I wasn't issued one, but they were around if needed. Great rifle for Sharks by the way. :)

mikeuniform
June 07, 2017, 08:25
This is probably the only metal buttplate for the fixed stocks you're gonna find. No trapdoor.
http://www.thenewrifleman.com/gwacs-armory-buttplate-a-slightly-shorter-lop-for-your-a2/