PDA

View Full Version : Coonan British receiver?

rpk74dr
June 03, 2017, 14:25
I have a friend that has a Coonan British pattern on order from the next run. While I have built a few on their early metric patterns with no issues I have heard of some problems with the inch pattern. Once it arrives I'll look it over and test fit parts before building. I have a few questions before attempting to barrel and headspace.

What issues were encountered?

What was the remedy?

TIA

308/223shooter
June 03, 2017, 14:44
I built one a year or so ago, went together and shot fine. Built one for a mate on one of their new ones a couple weeks ago, went together fine but has feeding issues.

MilsurpMonkey
June 03, 2017, 14:52
I built one a year or so ago, went together and shot fine. Built one for a mate on one of their new ones a couple weeks ago, went together fine but has feeding issues.

Mine's built on a Coonan from their first run, and it hasn't had a receiver related issue. I think they just stopped caring. Now there seem to be problems with incomplete magazine well cuts, poor ejector block placement, and out of spec bc rails. Gunplumber has multiple posts concerning the issues. DSA doesn't seem to be doing much better at the moment.

hueyville
June 03, 2017, 17:35
Was going to start a thread but since this is asking about receivers will stick in an active thread. Have an opportunity to buy several new parkerized Enterprise inch L1a1 receivers on the cheap. I know Enterprise rifles are assembled by drunken monkeys but these receivers have not made it to that stage yet. They are new, never built on and freshly finished. Am not scared of some fitting issues just want to know if they are safe and not complete abortions to try and make work.

Cheap is the motivating principle as have two DSA receivers and one Enterprise that have fitted barrel, locking lug and ready to assemble into a Brit rifle. One of the DSA's is going with an Aussie kit, other DSA is a spare and was planning to use to build a b!tch rifle on with all the spare parts from assembling the Brit and Aussie kits. If the Century uppers are buildable may be much better choice for the mix-master b!tch build and hold the DSA for that unicorn L2a1 kit still waiting to fall out of the sky.

308/223shooter
June 03, 2017, 18:25
If these are truly Entreprise receivers, they'd be Aussie cut. And, for what it's worth, they'd also be pretty old if un-built. May I ask how you ran across them? Since Mark bought up the last of Walters inventory of FAL parts, I'm surprised he didn't get them.

4markk
June 03, 2017, 20:44
The Entreprise Inch and Israeli receivers are actually pretty good. But as pointed out, they were made a LONG time ago. Long before the recent implosion of Entreprise.

mrbshooter
June 04, 2017, 14:39
I ordered a Coonan inch about a year ago. I ordered it maybe a week before Gunplumber updated his "Coonan doesnt care thread". So I had concerns.

Got it in September. Test fitted the parts and found that they had failed to make the inch cover tab cuts at the rear of the receiver. So I emailed customer service with photos. Got an email from the president confirming the omission and pledging to fix it. Sent me a pre-paid packing label and off it went. Got it back in December, all cuts made, everything fit.

Sent it off to Dr. Shock to be parked and painted. Has gone together fine and everything appears good to go. Waiting on some small parts, but should all go together in the next week.

I am generally satisfied with Coonan, but caution is called for.

hueyville
June 05, 2017, 16:42
LGS got an email from one of our vendors saying had Century L1a1 inch receivers "in the white" unfinished and parkerized for a darn decent price. Was not A.R.S. and have actually forgot who it was as manager just showed me the web-page with pricing information but when stop in the store on the way home to see if there is any AR work in the pile will ask. Told boss to get me one of each for sure and would let him know if wanted more soon as got some edjumication. All I know is info said Century L1a1 receivers unfinished and parked at a darn reasonable employee price. We could retail them for about what wholesale is on a DSA (metric pricing) and do o.k. on them. The last DSA inch receivers were unicorns, DSA didn't wholesale those to retailers, just sold direct as never showed up on our dealer page when I logged in while they were selling them. They did say would eventually do another run if had enough requests but they seem to be willing to do most any FAL type thing if smell enough cash floating in the water.

G3isMe
June 06, 2017, 20:26
.... Have an opportunity to buy several new parkerized Enterprise inch L1a1 receivers on the cheap. I know Enterprise rifles are assembled by drunken monkeys but these receivers have not made it to that stage yet.If the Century uppers are buildable ....

LGS got an email from one of our vendors saying had Century L1a1 inch receivers "in the white" unfinished and parkerized for a darn decent price.

....Century L1a1 receivers unfinished and parked at a darn reasonable employee price.....

Did you mean Century receivers in both posts and not Entreprise?......:wink: