PDA

View Full Version : I was able to do a good thing today....

Sand Pirate
June 14, 2002, 14:06
Found out, back-channel, from an old buddy that my outfit was minutes away from destroying a whole bunch of firearms. The list included old Colt New Police .38s with our emblem on them, Colt 1911 A1s, Winchester Model 70s, M-1 Carbines, Winchester Model 11 shotguns, Ruger Mini-14s, and a bunch of other nice stuff. All headed to the furnace.

Made a few phone calls, called in a favor or two, whispered in some ears, helped get the mass destruction put on hold. Extremely good chance now that most of those firearms will be sent various places where they will be used. Some will be stroked and put to use in various competitions with our teams.

I simply do not understand how any human can feed a perfectly good firearm into a furnace or chopsaw. I worry for their eternal souls. I am quite sure that my Lord and Savior is a shooter at heart, and these godless heathens that destroy firearms will be called to account for their evil sins. May God have mercy on them, because I can find none in my heart.:)

Just wanted to share. I figured if anybody can appreciate the feeling of rescuing firearms from destruction, it would be guys that build FALs.

Squint
June 14, 2002, 14:30
Good Job!

Stranger
June 14, 2002, 14:38
My Hero!

rwwje
June 14, 2002, 15:16
Service above and beyond by Sand Pirate. Thanks!:cool:

Blood of Tyrants
June 14, 2002, 15:20
I am quite sure that my Lord and Savior is a shooter at heart,

I am, too. But I would hate to have to shoot against him.;)

PCSinc
June 14, 2002, 16:25
Good work SP!!!

RRotz
June 14, 2002, 16:37
HOOOAH!

MK ULTRA
June 14, 2002, 17:06
Destroying firearms is a serious sin. Those guys will die and go to HELL for that.......

Deltaten
June 14, 2002, 17:20
Must' been some awful big chips you cashed in! ;)

I'd like to know how some of us "unconnected" guys could do the same, at these buy-backs (yeah! right), and destructo-mats like you came across.

Seems there would be a better use for Depts to sell the weapons to RESPONSIBLE gun owners and put the cash to good use, than spend our tax dollars for an item that's gonna go to the scrapyard.

Good on ya!

Best,
Paul

Snakeshot
June 14, 2002, 17:38
Sand Pirate! Sand Pirate! Sand Pirate!

A toast to you, good man!

Sand Pirate
June 14, 2002, 19:42
Deltaten:

Nope, never happen. All the firearms will go to one of our three academies, or to an organized team made up of agents at a particular station. None of them will ever see private ownership again. Government will destroy them, but will never sell them, even to other agencies. I have no idea why. I guess I didn't commute a death sentence for these weapons, as much as I got a stay of execution.

When my agency switched from Ruger GP-100s and Smith 686s to this turd Beretta, many of the agents asked if they could buy their old revolvers at fair market value. Lots of guys wanted them for sentimental reasons, like me. You ride the river and bet your life on a sidearm, have to use it once or twice, you'd like to keep it in the family. Higher-highers always said no, no way.

Well, Janet Reno came by our station for a dog and pony show right as we were transitioning, and one of the agents asked her if we would be allowed to buy our weapons. I swear to God, this was her answer: "No, no, see, more guns on the streets is not the answer." Every man in there had a set of credentials authorizing him to carry a weapon, signed by an Attorney General.

It boggles the mind........

GSF1200
June 14, 2002, 22:15
All Americans have the credentials to cary firearms! Ever heard of the 2nd Amendment?

Sand Pirate
June 14, 2002, 23:02
You're preachin' to the choir, my brother. I'm with you there. I just found it especially hypocritical, even for a liberal, to worry about guns in the hands of the very people she thought of as "annointed" or some crap. Very telling.

Burner
June 14, 2002, 23:50
I'll bet that if Reno wanted one she would have got her pick of the litter.

geerhed
June 15, 2002, 01:28
"Reno" and "litter" are two words that frequently wind up in the same sentence.:mad:

SJetwrench
June 15, 2002, 03:00
Sand Priate Bravo Zulu to you first of all :) . Yes to bad they can't be sold to lawabiding people. Yea the Gov't does'nt want to sell it's old equipment.
Down here in Tucson they used to sell old airplane and helo's but try to get one today and wham you hit a brick wall :eek: . They must think we are going to try and shoot down airplanes when we get the craft flying:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: .
Any way good jopb on saving the ones you did, old guns should not be chopped or melted down until they rattle to pieces.

"It's easier to apologize then,ask premission."

Deltaten
June 15, 2002, 07:10
S-P:

It may have something to do w/a instance several years ago. Seems some PD in Central US sold some out-of-service
guns on the open market. Some ended up being used in crimes in another state. Don't know the details anymore. Shame on the Dept of gun destruction!
"Why, we're the Government! We don't have to make sense"

Best,
Paul