PDA

View Full Version : P-Mags are NOT a option

KoKodog
June 01, 2017, 17:35
yes you read the title correctly, P-Mags are NOT a option

so if you are a P-Mag fanboy do not bother posting and wasting bandwidth there is absolutely ZERO that you can say or prove to me about the reliability of a all plastic mag

3 family members and 2 friends and myself are considering the PWS MK216 MOD 1

it is chambered in 7.62x51mm we plan on a group purchase w/ a local PWS dealer

I have a hate/hate relationship of at least 40 years w/ plastic mags - in short they suck dick
at least 3 others in our group have near identical experiences and detest the thought of committing to a all plastic mag

I have come to a truce w/ Lancer L5’s for the .300 BO, they have made my rating as “acceptable”, not perfect but “acceptable”

the Lancer L7’s look like a option if I cannot find a decent all metal mag but we are not thrilled with the prospect of $50.00 per mag

from the PWS website FAQ’s

What magazine well pattern is the MK2?

It is SR25/DPMS Pattern. PWS recommends and ships Magpul Pmags with all MK2 rifles.

so with that info I will consider the ASC SR-25 stainless steel mag [coated]

about half the price of the Lancer L7's

http://www.ammosc.com/308-sr-25-20-rd-magazine/

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server1300/5li2gj/products/85/images/338/20rd_308_FDE_1625_LR__23186.1381256106.1280.1280.j pg?c=2

now does anyone have any experience with these ASC mags ?

good or bad I need to hear actual experience

acolonelofcorn
June 01, 2017, 17:52
Have you tried the Pee-mag? :biggrin:

NFADLR
June 01, 2017, 18:29
That's from the Pee (Wee Herman) mag company right ?

I'm rather limited to the Pee Mags for my Ar's as a decent steel mag cannot resonally be found and as to my fal mags I mostly use the NOS Belgian FN FAL 10 round mags, and only have a few of those as they are few and far between.

Have you tried the Pee-mag? :biggrin:

Thorack
June 01, 2017, 18:42
Well,

You are gonna buy a $1700 rifle are a too cheap for $45 mags? (Lancer L7) Cant help a skinflint. I bought 7 L7s for my Aero Precision AR-10. Buy once, cry once.

Thorack

KoKodog
June 01, 2017, 19:29
Well,

You are gonna buy a $1700 rifle are a too cheap for $45 mags? (Lancer L7) Cant help a skinflint. I bought 7 L7s for my Aero Precision AR-10. Buy once, cry once.

Thorack

I do not use plastic mags in my M1A that I built and if I spend significant coin on a AR10 type rifle I do not plan on using plastic mags in them either

if I absolutely must, I might go for the Lancer L7's, but prefer a all steel body mag

Tuscan Raider
June 01, 2017, 22:05
Sounds like you made your decision already.
Let us know how it works out.

Albatross52
June 01, 2017, 22:20
The Lancer's are the best of the polymer line up, agreed. BUT, The reason the military uses metal mags, is simple, they can be repaired in the field. The ASC and DPMS mags are hit and miss on function and the ability to hold a full 20 rounds. I have bought ASC mags and used the red followers from the M118 Pmags, but then you are buying 2 to make one. I do not mind spending the $45-55 for Knights Armament steel mags, but they are very hard to find, as in sold out everywhere. Midway has their on brand called AR-STONER LR/SR 25 20rnd stainless steel mags for $20 a pop. I bought three to test in my kids Armalite DEF10's. In my opinion they are the best off the shelf steel mags you can buy today, unless you find some KAC mags somewhere.
I cant get the dam link to work, just go to midway and search AR-stoner magazine.
Travis

Illurian00
June 01, 2017, 23:05
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=ar+stoner+mag&userItemsPerPage=48

Albatross52
June 01, 2017, 23:09
https://www.midwayusa.com/s?userSearchQuery=ar+stoner+mag&userItemsPerPage=48

See if this works
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2228349966/ar-stoner-magazine-lr-308-gii-sr-25-ruger-precision-rifle-308-winchester-20-round-with-anti-tilt-follower-stainless-steel

Right Side Up
June 02, 2017, 02:52
I don't know.....I haven't had a problem yet with any of the P-Mag's I use for my .300 Blackout, nor have I ever had a problem with any of the plastic AK waffle mags I've used,. But with that said,.,.,.I like a metal mag better.

hueyville
June 02, 2017, 05:42
Do not have experience with that particular ASC magazine but in 5.56 and 6.8 the ASC stainless magazine is my favorite magazine period. Never been able to contribute an issue to one and their tough as nails. Welded stainless steel construction, chrome silicon springs, microslick self lubricating finish and anti-tilt followers. Have over a gross for sure (144) and likely over 200 of them total in 6.8 and 5.56. Usually find that their 6.8 mags are competative with any magazines and the 5.56 are cheap enough in bulk to put back whenever find a free shipping with dozen or more sale. My second favorite magazines ar Lancer L5's. Have a few P Mags that somehow made it out of original packaging and into circulation and they suck. 1/3 of people that bring rifles into gun shop with issues they can be traced to a P mag. They are total suckitude. Load one up to capacity, let it sit a while and will swell till doesn't fit in rifle or if in rifle won't come out. Half the failure for bolt to lock back on last round are P mag issues, especially their ten rounders.

FALonious
June 02, 2017, 05:53
Options seem limited. I found these...no personal experience with them.
https://www.griffinarmament.com/D-H-Industries-20-round-SR25-DPMS-308-Magazine-p/gadh308.htm

herd118
June 02, 2017, 06:14
Brownells has been making AR 308 mags for a while. And they're on sale for $13.49 now.
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-308-20rd-magazine-308-winchester-prod71942.aspx

Cornpone
June 02, 2017, 08:29
Pmags are a great option. You old crotchety dudes need to get with the times. Polymer is here to stay. I bet you think the 1911 is the only handgun to own and your M1 rifle is the best thing since indoor toilets.

gunplumber
June 02, 2017, 08:33
Well,

You are gonna buy a $1700 rifle are a too cheap for $45 mags? (Lancer L7) Cant help a skinflint.

My thoughts exactly.

I want more expensive bbbbbuuut they're more expensive! Waaaa!

Added: I don't care for plastic .308 mags either - the Lancers are what I use in 5.56 since the Pmags were not milspec and would not function in a SCAR (the variance from Milspec I understand has been corrected). But I recognize that the magazine is the weakest link of any semiauto so I pay for quality. Got rid of my .308 ARs before the L7 came out, and I use OEM steel for the SCAR17. But I see it all the time. Buy a $2600+ rifle and whine about $35 mags.

MAINER
June 02, 2017, 08:45
You old crotchety dudes need to get with the times. I bet you think the 1911 is the only handgun to own and your M1 rifle is the best thing since indoor toilets.

:biggrin:

yovinny
June 02, 2017, 08:51
Brownells has been making AR 308 mags for a while. And they're on sale for $13.49 now.
http://www.brownells.com/magazines/rifle-magazines/magazines/ar-308-20rd-magazine-308-winchester-prod71942.aspx

Those are cheap,,,And have some horrible reviews...:(...Just saying.

I only use pmags for range mags, I'm not a big fan either.

With very few exceptions, OEM mags have always proven most desirable and best for me.

Guns that come with plastic mags as OEM, have yet to prove worth my time or money..IMHO

KoKodog
June 02, 2017, 12:43
Sounds like you made your decision already.
Let us know how it works out.

yes, I have made a decision, NO F*CKING P MAGS !

KoKodog
June 02, 2017, 12:50
Do not have experience with that particular ASC magazine but in 5.56 and 6.8 the ASC stainless magazine is my favorite magazine period. Never been able to contribute an issue to one and their tough as nails. Welded stainless steel construction, chrome silicon springs, microslick self lubricating finish and anti-tilt followers. Have over a gross for sure (144) and likely over 200 of them total in 6.8 and 5.56. Usually find that their 6.8 mags are competative with any magazines and the 5.56 are cheap enough in bulk to put back whenever find a free shipping with dozen or more sale. My second favorite magazines ar Lancer L5's. Have a few P Mags that somehow made it out of original packaging and into circulation and they suck. 1/3 of people that bring rifles into gun shop with issues they can be traced to a P mag. They are total suckitude. Load one up to capacity, let it sit a while and will swell till doesn't fit in rifle or if in rifle won't come out. Half the failure for bolt to lock back on last round are P mag issues, especially their ten rounders.

thank you Huey, that does help somewhat, at least it gives me a idea of the overall reliability of the manufacturer

Albatross52
June 02, 2017, 12:52

Buy a couple of these, if they do dot work for you, I'll buy them from you. I have tried them all. I have a pretty good idea these are produced by J Madsen.
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2228349966/ar-stoner-magazine-lr-308-gii-sr-25-ruger-precision-rifle-308-winchester-20-round-with-anti-tilt-follower-stainless-steel

KoKodog
June 02, 2017, 12:56
My thoughts exactly.

I want more expensive bbbbbuuut they're more expensive! Waaaa!

Added: I don't care for plastic .308 mags either - the Lancers are what I use in 5.56 since the Pmags were not milspec and would not function in a SCAR (the variance from Milspec I understand has been corrected). But I recognize that the magazine is the weakest link of any semiauto so I pay for quality. Got rid of my .308 ARs before the L7 came out, and I use OEM steel for the SCAR17. But I see it all the time. Buy a $2600+ rifle and whine about $35 mags.

as I said before; if I have to I will purchase the Lancer L7's, but prefer a all steel body magazine, polymer followers have a decent history in a steel body magazine, so no problem there that I can see

there is no whining, just looking for value for my hard earned dollar

do you use all plastic mags in the FAL's you build ?????????????????

KoKodog
June 02, 2017, 13:01
Options seem limited. I found these...no personal experience with them.
https://www.griffinarmament.com/D-H-Industries-20-round-SR25-DPMS-308-Magazine-p/gadh308.htm

they look slightly similar the the construction of HK-G3 mags

a possible option

MistWolf
June 02, 2017, 14:25

When it come to magazine reliability, it doesn't matter if the magazine is made of polymer, aluminum or steel. What matters is if the magazines are reliable and durable.

ASC supplies the magazines for the M&P-10 (which uses the SR-25/MagPul pattern magazines) and the one I got is completely unreliable. There have been too many reports from M&P-10 owners about problem with the factory supplied ASC mags for me to waste my time trying to make it right.

Last time I priced a KAC SR-25 magazine (which was a few years ago), they were running $90 to $110 each. I have seen too many first hand reports of DPMS magazine problems to take a chance with them.

The simplest solution was to buy the 20 and 25 round PMags. Polymer or not, they've been reliable and have never failed to work, even in freezing temperatures.

But, no Pmags. I get it. Just realize that they are the single most successful and affordable 308 AR magazine on the market. I have yet to hear of any first hand reports of problems caused by 308 AR PMags, even among serious shooters. That leaves you with the KAC SR-25 mags. In my experience, the only thing the 308 AR ASC mags are good for is hitting them with a hammer. Repeatedly

Elkaholic
June 02, 2017, 22:02
I like the LaRue mags

http://www.larue.com/larue-tactical-762-20-round-magazines

Boomerdownsir
June 03, 2017, 15:54
I like the LaRue mags

Rofl holy crap. They do make nice stuff though. I have that MBT trigger, it's pretty nice for 99 when it was on sale. Plus their larue spice isn't half bad haha

grumpy1
June 03, 2017, 18:07
I understand you dont want a Pmag but I have several dozen and have had two that have had problems. Magpul replaced them for free. I'm out nothing. I do like the Lancer mags over Pmags but I haven't found any Lancer mags as cheap as I have with Pmags.

As far as AR10 mags go, it sounds like you got Lancer, ACS, LaRue, Knights or midwayusa. Pick your poison.

Sagerider
June 03, 2017, 20:17
I have a few ACS mags and have had feeding issues. I prefer C Products for 5.45 x39/.223, 7.62x39 for AR rifles or used GI mags for .223. Zero issues with C Products.
My 2 cents

hueyville
June 04, 2017, 16:12
Had to do a re-read on post #24. Opened three S&W M&P 15 boxes have in strategic reserve at work all NIB and when remove the rifle from box under foam where instructions and gun lock are found is a 30 round P-Mag. Refreshed my brain we are talking AR 10's and have not personally purchased an assembled AR 10, all mine are home brew but last dozen Smith AR 15's purchased for future neck bearding all have P-Mags in box.

Am running P Mags in my AR 10's but with Tubbs springs. The AR 10 and AR 15 mags are totally different animal but have some ASC versions never taken out of box and tried as my AR 10's are all bastard cartridges, 338 Federal and 6XC. When built P-Mag was about only option and had to fix all of them to make run to my satisfaction with some filing and spring swaps.

As to ASC AR 15 mags will repeat, except for Lancers the only 6.8 and 22 Nosler mags I own are ASC and never had a failure except initial tuning of gas and buffers first day at range. Once got the gas set and correct buffer weight my rifles run flawlessly with ASC magazines. In truck have a 5.56 Wylde WOA behind seat in lock with ASC mag, front seat have 6.8 with ASC and stashed along transmission tunnel is an 11.5" suppressed 5.56 with Franklin binary trigger and holding an ASC mag. Have three ASC 5.56 in mag pouch and three ASC 6.8 in mag pouch and at least once a week have opportunity to shoot one or all three rifles unless carry the 22 Nosler instead. In console have three Lancer "20 round" 5.56 mags use for 5.t6, 6.8 and 22 Nosler. If don't get greedy and try to top off they are 100% in both the 6.8 and the 22 Nosler or can stuff full of 5.56. If the ASC mags were going to show any issues it would be in the suppressed SBR with binary trigger. Can run singles, doubles, bursts and near full auto rate of fire mag dumps and the ASC mags keep up with the little monster just fine. I don't do anything special to them like clean or lubricate. Advertised as "self lubricating" wonder if people having problems have tried some freakish super lube that's so popular these days? Looked at buying history from one company and have purchased 172 from just that vendor. Most are put back but all in current truck rifle service are ASC except a few Lancers.

I would like to see the issues folks are having with them and try to figure out the why. Over half the folks coming in LGS with AR 15 issues are user induced, not the fault of the equipment. Behind gunsmith counter more days than not so see some odd stuff. Biggest AR 15 magazine issue see consistently is with ten round P-mags. Nobody has seemed to have AR 10 magazine issues and we sell boat loads of them.

hueyville
June 04, 2017, 18:09
KoKodog, sent you a PM where you can get the ASC SR 25 magazines for $15 each and found another site that has them for $17. I have a knack for sniffing out magazine deals as trying to stack one wall of basement from floor to ceiling entire length of house in magazines. Did so well during Bush ban and Sandy Hook my magazine fund is way fat and want to be ready for the next big freak out. Almost time to restock rimfire just waiting for it to fall back under $20 per brick. Neckbearding is a favorite hobby.

KoKodog
June 04, 2017, 21:45
Huey is right about user induced problems and many traceable to mag issues

I am no stranger to magazine issues, like I had previously stated “I have a hate/hate relationship of at least 40 years w/ plastic mags -“ it started with .22 LR magazines

come to think of it the best selling .22 semi that everyone always wants good mags for ……. had years of issues until metal lipped magazines came along and then CNC’ed metal mags came along now no problems

when I built my AR-45 I knew ahead of time that I would have to tweak the M3 Grease Gun mags and I was prepared to think outside the box and controlled the issues, clean off the power coat paint to get them in the mag well and then discovered the retaining cutout was too shallow so I made a small chisel to drive in under the metal lip and lift it high enough for reliability in locking the mag in the well

way back when I built my M1A/M14 clone I had to deal with magazine issues, genuine mags were hard to come by and even they needed tweaked, once tweaked they were good to go, now you can buy real USGI Checkmate mags brand new that barely need any work other than a little polish of the feed lips w/ a 3M roloc-disc if there is a rough surface or burrs

and Glock fanboys ……… there is a steel liner in your factory mags …… and as far as I can tell the Korean Glock mag clones I have seen are not that great, just like the Korean copy’s of M1A/M14 mags

the Lancer L5’s I have for .300 BO had to be tweaked, I took about half of the height of the forward rib off (w/ a carbide burr) so that I can load the mag with my reloads stoked with bullets that weigh more than 110 grains (you can now buy modified L5’s from Wilson - they set up and milled half the forward rib off)

polymer followers have made leaps & bounds over the last 10 years and for many mags they are great

for me, metal mags I can work on them, plastic is a bitch to work on, makes a hell of a mess, smells bad and they are just a pain in the ass to deal with

fmj_shooter
June 05, 2017, 01:01
I like the LaRue mags

I have a couple of these I could let go of, if you want top quality. No more AR 10s. Saving for a Scar.

fmj_shooter
June 05, 2017, 01:04
I have a few ACS mags and have had feeding issues. I prefer C Products for 5.45 x39/.223, 7.62x39 for AR rifles or used GI mags for .223. Zero issues with C Products.
My 2 cents

I don't know if C Products has their 7.62 x 51 mags out yet, but when I spoke to them in April, it was happening soon. I like their 5.56 mags.

fnogger
June 07, 2017, 16:29
Today's spam from CDNN (its only spam 'cause i never have the $ to take advantage of the prices) has Bushmaster stainless AR 10 mags DPMS pattern for $20.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar-308-20rd-bushmaster-stainless-magazine.html#.WThvpB_6zz8

"Details

AR 308 20-ROUND BUSHMASTER STAINLESS MAGAZINE (DPMS Style)

Heat-treated stainless steel magazine body with self-lubricating marlube coating. Chrome Silicon Springs. Made in the USA.

Fits DPMS LR-308 and SR-25 Pattern Rifles"

fnogger
June 08, 2017, 17:00
And today's CDNN spam has C-Products blackened stainless mags for $15 each.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/ar15-308-20rd-dpms-cmmg-sr25-9641.html#.WTnIeR_6zz8

My only EBR is a FAL. I've got plenty of surplus mil mags. But I'm thinking of possibly an AR-10 type down the road a ways. Are these good prices on decent mags? Should I buy 2 or 3 "just because" ?

MistWolf
June 10, 2017, 19:13
That's for 5.56 mags. KoKoDog is looking for 308 mags

ftierson
June 10, 2017, 21:11

Details, details... :)

Forrest

hueyville
June 11, 2017, 22:00

Sent him a PM on exact magazines he wanted in 308 for $15 and $17. Didn't want to post to group till he got what he wanted and then I placed a potential shelf wiping order. If he has his he can post the link or tell me he has them and I will if they have any left after shipping mine.

KoKodog
June 12, 2017, 13:50
Sent him a PM on exact magazines he wanted in 308 for $15 and $17. Didn't want to post to group till he got what he wanted and then I placed a potential shelf wiping order. If he has his he can post the link or tell me he has them and I will if they have any left after shipping mine.

have at it guys, I cannot get a full commitment from the group, so for the time being it will not happen :mad:

hueyville
June 13, 2017, 09:43
$15.50 each and have enough for me, y'all have at in and next week will see if I can wipe their shelf.

]https://www.44mag.com/product/asc_308_ar_magazine_20/asc_magazine

MistWolf
June 16, 2017, 16:34
You don't have to worry about me. After the experiences I've had with ASC, I want NOTHING to do with them

STGThndr
June 17, 2017, 07:58
Im an old fart and doubtless dated by my 70's era style- always used the military 20 and 30 round magazines and Ive got a stack of them, aluminum-alloy I believe. They have always worked for me and Ive got new in package waiting for the Real Shitte to hit the Actual Fan.
That said, I recently bought up a bunch of magpul before the 30 rounders came to the attention of our demoncrap Colorado neo-nazi State legislature and were made "illegal". I like the magpuls and find them as good or better than the military... Nothing wrong with Maggies that Ive discovered.
OP Kokodog: All your P-Mag are belonga me!

michael_g927
June 19, 2017, 08:03
The only AR10 i own and have ever owned in an LWRCI REPR. So my experience is limited. But in 6 years, i have 2 new ASC mags from midway, 10 very used DPMS surplus mags i bought for $12 at Tulsa gunshow. I also have 11 pmags of which only one is out of the package.
Of the mags mentioned, none has ever hiccuped in my rifle.
Interesting thing. Seems like ASC, CP, Windham, ARStoner are all the same mag with just different roll marked baseplates. Either way, i have read many many reviews on these mfgs. My experiences have all been positive. Even the 7.62x39 mags, which if you listen to the "experts" there are none known to man to ever work.
Maybe 10 years ago i bought a dozen KCI glock mags. They were $2 each so i grabbed em. For considering them "range only" mags, they are still working to this day. The only issue is they are hard to load. The uplula fixes that. I doubt i will ever need to load a mag during a fight so i guess its a non issue. They just work.
These are my experiences. Your milage may vary.

FALonious
June 21, 2017, 04:41
Lancers on sale 35% off.

http://www.primaryarms.com/search?keywords=lancer

TenTea
June 21, 2017, 05:52
Lancers on sale 35% off.

http://www.primaryarms.com/search?keywords=lancer

These ones right here.
http://www.primaryarms.com/lancer-systems-l5awm-5-56nato-30-round-translucent-smoke-2320-01
I can haz translucent smoke!

Fallback position!
https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0219/5816/products/DSCN6546_large.JPG?v=1463522222