PDA

View Full Version : Short barrel (16.5) L1A1 thoughts!

3Gunnah
May 29, 2017, 19:23
I am dropping further down the rabbit hole every day. Just looking for thoughts on a 16.5 inch L1A1 I'm sure the accuracy probably will not suffer that much. How about recoil, noise and muzzle flash. I'm thinking this should be a fun little gun just to play with at the range and shoot an occasional heavy metal 3-gun match with! Looking for any pros and cons you guys may have experienced thank you.

gentlemanjoe
May 29, 2017, 19:53
You forgot reliability. That's where ti will keep you busy tinkering.

OLDMANPBK
May 29, 2017, 20:53
I see that you're now committed to your experiment. Let us know how it works out.

MACV
May 31, 2017, 23:42
You might need to open up the gas port a bit. I did on a 17 inch

raubvogel
June 01, 2017, 05:49
Find a pristine STG barrel and chop it to 7" so you can make a pistol or half of your penis will fall off. Don't forget to thread it for an AR flash hider. :whistling:

gunplumber
June 01, 2017, 08:30
I would not cut any L1A1 barrel to 16", ever. FALs can handle 16", although it is borderline. L1A1s need more gas since they leak more. . I would not cut any FAL barrel below 17.2" If you have to cut an L1A1, I'd stay at 18"+. Or I trade you a FAL kit for your L1A1 kit.

3Gunnah
June 01, 2017, 20:59
Find a pristine STG barrel and chop it to 7" so you can make a pistol or half of your penis will fall off. Don't forget to thread it for an AR flash hider. :whistling:

I happen to have a pristine unserial numbered Steyr Barrel on my gun now! I'm going to pop that off and install a 16" Aussie inch barrel that I bought in the marketplace. That will make it a complete inch gun. I've gone so far down this rabbit hole in the last month it's not even funny. Every time I make a decision it seems to be a bad one! I just can't seem to find a quality good condition full length inch barrel. I should have kept my Stg 58! :redface:

MAINER
June 01, 2017, 22:37
You sold a StG? :uhoh:
:devil:

Would think a 16.5" will be a bit of a Blaster. As GP mentions, my L1A1 (Aussie) is a leaker and barely runs with a 21" barrel. Not fond of loud noises and like barrels at full length. No idea where to get FL L1A1 barrel in decent condition, maybe put a WTB ad in Marketplace. A Parker Hale would be nice. :love:

gunseller
June 02, 2017, 13:43
I have a L1A1 that I made 17.3 inches and it works fine. Accurace was better and I did not have to change the gas setting.
Steve

3Gunnah
June 02, 2017, 19:39
I would not cut any L1A1 barrel to 16", ever. FALs can handle 16", although it is borderline. L1A1s need more gas since they leak more. . I would not cut any FAL barrel below 17.2" If you have to cut an L1A1, I'd stay at 18"+. Or I trade you a FAL kit for your L1A1 kit.

Thanks for the input. What is the max you would open up the gas port to before you gave up on this Barrel. I do not have it yet but, it will be in my possession shortly. Do you think slower burning powders for reloading would also aid in the function of this Barrel?

gunplumber
June 03, 2017, 08:31
Thanks for the input. What is the max you would open up the gas port to before you gave up on this Barrel. I do not have it yet but, it will be in my possession shortly. Do you think slower burning powders for reloading would also aid in the function of this Barrel?

I use only NATO spec ammo. No opinion on reloading.

.118" is the largest with everything else good. .125 is the largest before I scrap the barrel.

sparkeyboaz
June 03, 2017, 10:12
Hi 3Gunnah.
Once payment arrives, before I ship this barrel to you, as a concession to help you in your quest to make this 16 1/2" barrel perform properly, I will sort through all my spare Inch gas system parts and find the tightest fit to your new barrel. I will include with purchase free of charge a gas tube, piston and gas reg and plug. Will be back in touch with you once I find the best fit for the Aussie bbl!
James

3Gunnah
June 03, 2017, 12:34
Hi 3Gunnah.
Once payment arrives, before I ship this barrel to you, as a concession to help you in your quest to make this 16 1/2" barrel perform properly, I will sort through all my spare Inch gas system parts and find the tightest fit to your new barrel. I will include with purchase free of charge a gas tube, piston and gas reg and plug. Will be back in touch with you once I find the best fit for the Aussie bbl!
James

Thank you very much!

3Gunnah
June 03, 2017, 12:36
I use only NATO spec ammo. No opinion on reloading.

.118" is the largest with everything else good. .125 is the largest before I scrap the barrel.

Thank you sir!