PDA

View Full Version : Stock Repair

Adventurer_96
June 14, 2002, 00:05
Does anyone have a link to repair techniques for cracked stocks? My G-1 stock cracked after a good cleaning in the dishwasher, so now I have an incredibly clean stock with a crack at the base of the stock between the rear sling cut and the baseplate.:rolleyes: Sorry, no pictures. There's also a long crack on the left side, about two thirds of the length of the stock. At first glance it looks like this one can be filled and sanded, and the other one pinned and glued, but I've never come close to dealing with something like this before. I'll probably end up buying a US replacement part anyway, but this is a good way to get some experience in stock repair. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Viking Warrior
June 14, 2002, 00:23
Contact Dean at this link.
He is doing a '41 Johnson stock for me right now.
He will try to help you out as much as he can. However, the dishwasher method is an accident waiting to happen, hopefully you can save it.
http://www.dgrguns.com/
good luck to you

MM in NM
June 14, 2002, 18:06
What have you got to loose? Stop into one of the $.99 cent stores that are around and get some chep ole generic superglue.. Without seeing it I'd recommend: Flow superglue down into the cracks (they're obviously clean enough, it sounds like), light coat after light coat. Sooner or later the crack will be filled, then sand and finish.
That's how I fix some cracks in old Mosin stocks.....

Derby FALs
June 14, 2002, 18:54
Gorilla glue

Adventurer_96
June 14, 2002, 23:30
Thanks for the tips.

I may get some help from a coworker who has the stock repair stuff that Brownell's puts out. Plus, he's got some experience pinning stocks with brass pins so I'll be apprenticing. I'll keep everyone posted.