PDA

View Full Version : Shoot or no shoot?

Falfan2017
May 25, 2017, 13:55
Got a national match with papers beautiful m1 Springfield from the 1944 all original with fewer than 50 rounds through it.

Will putting more rounds through it degrade it? I know these are designed to be fired but I still feel somewhat bad.

ArtBanks
May 25, 2017, 14:00
Please describe " match grade".

Falfan2017
May 25, 2017, 14:11
dcm national match all original

ArtBanks
May 25, 2017, 15:46
Now, that one I would hang onto and find another to shoot. There are plenty out there.

hkshooter
May 26, 2017, 20:44
Would you buy a Porche and never take it out of the garage?
If so, then why do you own it?

Shoot it, enjoy it. Even if you only fire it once and then drool over it until you sell it, another 50 rounds isn't going to hurt it and nobody is going to look at it and say "You fired another 50 rounds than it had through it."

randy762ak
May 26, 2017, 22:19
I have to agree Shooting several hundred rounds through it Or More will never show any wear or tear ! I have several Like new Garands that I shoot all the time I Just Baby them when I get them home and carefully clean them ...I think most damage happens when something accidental happens Like the rifle slipping off a rack and falling to the ground -That sort of thing happens !!

Nice score BTW !!:bow:

ArtBanks
May 27, 2017, 04:58
[QUOTE=hkshooter;4427357]Would you buy a Porche and never take it out of the garage?
If so, then why do you own it?

Much rather have 20 Collector grade M1s than any foreign car.
A couple of shooter grades are nice to play with.
Unlike most cars, the value of good rifles usually appreciates.

Seaweed
May 27, 2017, 11:00
buy another one and shoot it. Besides the obvious of not putting the wear on the collector, it's a good investment.

TenTea
May 27, 2017, 11:13
Nowadays, I'm a shooter rather than a collector, so... :cool:

Nihonto Chicken
May 27, 2017, 15:16
Sure, put a few rounds through it to scratch the itch and enjoy the ping. Then clean it up, re- oil and grease it, and stuff it in the back corner of the safe, then take it out periodically to impress your shooting buddies. Get a mixmaster shooter if you want to shoot a Garand a lot.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 28, 2017, 03:29
Shoot it. The only reasons to "save" it are to sell later at a profit or to preserve it for future generations.

If you don't shoot it, you will have deprived yourself of the joy of shooting that fine rifle and for what? To double your money in 20 years? Big fat hairy deal.

In regard to future generations: There is a reason that you never meet anybody that has a Roman Gladius passed down from their ancestor that served with Pompei. The third or fourth gen won't give a damn about grandad's ol war gun. It will get sold for a few coins and life will go on.

So, shoot it and enjoy your life.

Falfan2017
May 28, 2017, 09:49
Shoot it. The only reasons to "save" it are to sell later at a profit or to preserve it for future generations.

If you don't shoot it, you will have deprived yourself of the joy of shooting that fine rifle and for what? To double your money in 20 years? Big fat hairy deal.

In regard to future generations: There is a reason that you never meet anybody that has a Roman Gladius passed down from their ancestor that served with Pompei. The third or fourth gen won't give a damn about grandad's ol war gun. It will get sold for a few coins and life will go on.

So, shoot it and enjoy your life.

Ya thats the way I'm leaning. It was my grandads but just one he bought so not a ton of sentimental value and I don't see myself selling it.

ByronF
May 28, 2017, 09:59
Some pieces of hard rock candy aren't for eating, they're for lookin' through.

I've had beautiful CMP rifles from mid-90's, and freshly parked kits in new commercial walnut. Never felt I was missing out on anything my shooting the kit rifle over the CMP gun. No tingle up my leg or anything. If you can have just one Garand keep it and shoot it. If you can swing two, put it away for occasional fondling and get a shooter. Or if you want to be more pragmatic sell it for a big sack of money and spend it on a shooter with a big stack of ammo.

jhend170
June 02, 2017, 09:54
If I own it I'm shooting it. Were it unfired, that makes it an investment worthy of turning over. My first FAL was an unfired DSA Grayslake StG I picked up for a song. I knew next to nothing about them at the time, but research showed me it was an investment, especially in its unfired state. That investment was sold to another member (who now has it in the MP himself, interestingly) and money put into My M1a Loaded plus my glass. That gets shot on the regular.

So is it an investment or YOUR gun? Sell the investment, shoot your gun.

Texgunner
June 02, 2017, 10:34
Some pieces of hard rock candy aren't for eating, they're for lookin' through.

Heh, heh...Lone Wadie. :bow:

Orlando8
June 17, 2017, 12:55
CMP never sold unfired 1944 Collector Grades. Only Collector Grades CMP sold are Post War rifles

Falfan2017
June 17, 2017, 14:51
Ya what I mean was all original national match with papers with very low round count.

Orlando8
June 18, 2017, 13:34
OK, thats a big difference.
First need more information:
How do you know it only has 50 rds through it?
If you only fired 50 rds how do you know it wasnt fired before?
You said its a NM rifle with paperwork, what paperwork, from who, what does paperwork state, what year is on paperwork?
Thanks

Falfan2017
June 18, 2017, 16:31
Grandad bought it from dcm so it has the dcm paperwork 1971 I believe. He sighted it in and may have shot a match with it but he was the original owner. Of course the receiver is 1944 so who knows how much that thing has been through.

retired 1
June 23, 2017, 22:26
Then that's your answer. It is reworked from it's original state into a NM, thus not an original. Shoot it all you want! Enjoy it even more.

Falfan2017
June 23, 2017, 23:24
All nm were reworked from Springfield receivers.