PDA

View Full Version : Roofing ?

dino1
June 13, 2002, 21:29
I just had a new roof put on my 900 sq. ft house (Where am I supposed to put all these rifles?), any way the roofer guy puts on a new turbine that looks like hammered dog sh#%. I ask the guy straight out, "Is this a new turbine?" and he says yes. This POS is painted silver and has tar on it! WTF! So I run to the hardware and pick up a really new turbine, climb up on the roof and install with no prob. My ? is does the turbine need to be level? Tomorrow the guy comes to pick up his check and I thought I would leave his POS turbine by the front door so he can haul it off. I just can't believe this guy would fu^& me over a $30.00 turbine. I really wanted this guy to help me fix the roof on my garage but after this screw it.

Viking Warrior
June 13, 2002, 21:48
Too bad he tried to screw you, Have him adjust his invoice.
The turbine should be as level as possible, otherwise it wont work correctly in light winds.
Good luck and keep us posted...Viking Warrior

3doghouse
June 13, 2002, 22:31
Both sides of my family are in construction. The worst, and most unbelievable experience I have ever had with my own house was with a roofing contractor.

Go with someone you know personally, do it yourself, or live without it.

Antares
June 13, 2002, 22:33
Im headed off to small claims court because of a contractor who installed my gutters that dont work. They are all scum.

Also almost got into a fistfight with him in the front yard because he got pissed because the shingles he was putting up when he was doing the roof looked gay because they had a "false shadow" and looked like there was a dotted line going across the house. He got pissed after he put 5 of em up if he could put the cheaper ones on that looked better. The cops had to come cool him down.

So here I am ... roofer walks off the job when I have no roof and its about to rain. He finally came to his senses and realized that he was lible for any water damage and i've never seen a roof go up so fast.

Avoid roofers at all costs.

dino1
June 13, 2002, 22:50
Well I must say that I'm pretty happy with the roofwork (shingles) that was done, he was $300 - $500 cheaper than everyone else, it's just that he looked me straight in the eye and told me it was a new turbine when there was no way in hell that it was. I mean he knows that I can swing a hammer and know something about construction, I just built a really sweet 8' by 10' playhouse for my 2 yr old daughter, I even showed him the house and asked what he thought of it. You might be able to pull this off on a little old lady that will never see the top of her house but you probably shouldn't do this to a 32 year old anal retentive male with an extension ladder. Perhaps that should be my new sig line, I'm a 32 year old anal retentive male with a step ladder, don't fu^& with me!

Viking Warrior
June 14, 2002, 00:08
Well then, its sounds like you can reason with the Man, Give it a shot to be reimbursed for the darn turbine.
If yoy show him face to face the old turbine he cant dispute it can he>
Good luck to you...

Muggzy
June 14, 2002, 05:24
If the turbine was painted and or had tar on it then it was used,period.

The turbine should be dead level in order for it spin properly.

I would short the check you are about to give him for the amount you paid for the new turbine. Fair is Fair.

Uh, sorry about your experience. There are "good" roofers and then there are the one's that think they are roofers. It really has to do more with the type of person you are than being a roofer, in this case.

Yes, I'm a roofer. 31 years in the trade

B3
June 14, 2002, 10:49
It could have been new, ie never installed. In the back of a roofing truck things happen. He could have purchased it for another job and never installed it. Thus it was in the back of the truck for a while. Maybe? My son runs a roofing company. This is the way things happen. A roffer will not take it out of the truck in order to keep it looking new. They leave everything in the truck or on the roof of the last job.
In Florida we have gotten away from those type vents. Everyone is going to an off crown type of vent. Mine is about one foot wide and five feet long. It is placed about a foot from the top ot the pitch or crown. Less water blows in when it rains and you do not have to cover it over in the winter.
You questioned the one he installed and he did not change it. So you did. He saw it when you did it. Give him his back and tell him yoy really did not want one in that condition and have him remove it from the bill. Ask for a paid in full receipt when you give him the check so that he can not come back on you when his next job falls through.
Good luck
B3