PDA

View Full Version : Dowel pins

Plumbob
June 13, 2002, 20:35
The Gunplumber says use machinist dowel pins to find head space, but where can you get them?

gunhead
June 13, 2002, 22:02
You should be able to find these at any Machine supply house in your area, try the Yellow pages. They can probably be bought on-line also.
Try looking for a Machine surplus supplier, they usually will sell you only a few that you require instead of a whole box.
Sizes will be from about Nominal to +.0002. The black ones being a bit (.0001) larger then the polished ones. So a .250 Dowel might measure .2501 to .2503. But they can be measued & polish down if you have to. The surface is extremely hard due to case hardening but we've turned them down on a lathe with Carbide to use them for locating pins!
GL.......

63DH8
June 13, 2002, 22:02
What you're looking for are gage pins. Call your local industrial supply store. If there's none around you, go to: http://www.mscdirect.com/

Random Chaos
June 14, 2002, 07:16
Do a search for MSC, a couple weeks ago a guy posted the exact part numbers to order. I ordered mine and they arrived within two bus days. they seem to be a good company and do not eat you alive with freight charges.

DuaneFrye
June 14, 2002, 10:53
I used these pins on my last build and at a couple of bucks each, they're the way to go.

Something else to consider, to get you in the ballpark of what you might need in the way of pins, is an adjustable ID gauge (I think that's what it's called). You insert this gadget into the hole in question, turn an adjusting screw and the end in the hole opens up. You then measure the adjusted diameter of the gauge and you have a very close approximation of the locking shoulder size that you need. After i measured my last one, I purchased just the gauge pins a couple of sizes larger and smaller than the indicated size along with the indicated size. Even counting the cost of the adjustable gauge, It was still far less than buying one of the stepped units.

The only drawback is that you need a bit of help. Holding the rifle, pressing the bolt into battery, and adjusting the gauge by yourself can be a chore!

Hope this helps.

Templator
June 14, 2002, 11:27
www.mscdirect.com

gunsmith_tony
June 14, 2002, 12:03
MSC Ind. 800-645-7270