PDA

View Full Version : What causes FTE where you have to hit butt on ground to clear stoppage...?

stargazer
June 13, 2002, 20:28
I experienced a stoppage last weekend with my FAL. It was when the case gets about 1/3 of the way out and then the bolt locks up and the butt must be hit on ground while holding charging handle. What causes this to happen, anyone know.

I seem to recall reading about the same sort of stoppage in the FAL BOOK . It seems that it is a classic stoppage for the FAL if the clearing method is given to the shooter in the manual!

This sort of stoppage has only happened to me twice before. Rifle now has 1500 rds. through it since April, 2001.

W.E.G.
June 13, 2002, 21:00
If you have gone that many rounds with only three "jams," you have a good rifle, and two flukes or two bad rounds. No way to diagnose a problem that occurs this infrequently.

I'd guess too little gas due to a "bad" round.

7.62FMJ
June 14, 2002, 00:01
I had similar problems with mine even with the gas system closed. I fixed it buy unscrewing the front sight post and drilling open the gas port hole slightly. Use a 1/8th drill bit and make sure you put a little oil on the bit. Also make sure you don't drill the front hole- that's for the sight post. Also place a .30 cal cleaning rod in the barrel in order to keep from drilling to far. It should run alot better afterward.

withergyld
June 14, 2002, 07:31
Only three stopages in 1500 rnds? Leave it alone!

Most of the time this happens the case is extracted fron the chamber, but the bolt doesn't travel far enough for the case to hit the extractor. Then the bolt goes forward and rams the fired case back into the chamber where it gets stuck.

Why did it happen? I agree that it was probably a cartridge with a light powder charge, and because of the light powder charge, it did not supply enough gas pressure to fully eject.