PDA

View Full Version : Preban or not preban?

BM59
May 17, 2017, 11:50
Hi folks - in this buyers' market with prices of a standard M1A below $1200, I wonder if it is really worth shelling double the money for an early Springfield one with forged receiver? Clearly more valuable from a collector perspective, especially if in excellent condition... but twice the price?

hansellhd
May 17, 2017, 13:07
Hi folks - in this buyers' market with prices of a standard M1A below $1200, I wonder if it is really worth shelling double the money for an early Springfield one with forged receiver? Clearly more valuable from a collector perspective, especially if in excellent condition... but twice the price?

It is what it is, the Preban will always be worth more money to the collector.

If you want something with Preban quality but don't want to pay for a Preban get the JRA M14. On a side note if all you care about is shooting the
Springfield is fine.

ArtBanks
May 17, 2017, 13:14
Forged receiver? Didn't know SAI ever even had one.

tdb59
May 17, 2017, 13:16

I am not aware of any Springfield Inc. M1a receiver that is hammer forged.

BM59
May 17, 2017, 13:30
My bad .. somehow I thought early M1A receivers were forged, but they have always been cast. Apparently early receivers (e.g. Valley Ordnance) were more dense than late production. Also, early M1As had USGI rather then commercial parts. But there is no fundamental difference between preban and late production. JRA on the other hand (as Hanselhd suggests) makes excellent M14 clones with forged Rock ola receivers and USGI parts. Unfortunately I believe receiver is marked M14, which will make it a "no-no" in AWB states.

ArtBanks
May 17, 2017, 16:21
Bula Defense systems make the receivers for JRA. They have available the M-21 DMR which has an optic rail which can be used at the same time as conventional iron sights. Then there is the M-14F which is standard configuration.

Semper Fi
Art

John Crusher
May 17, 2017, 17:48
Bula Defense systems make the receivers for JRA. They have available the M-21 DMR which has an optic rail which can be used at the same time as conventional iron sights. Then there is the M-14F which is standard configuration.

Semper Fi
Art

And you would know .:wink:

ArtBanks
May 17, 2017, 18:15
And you would know .:wink:

17 Bula receivers in the herd as of today. 4 more on the way soon.

Art