PDA

View Full Version : 80% Ar10 ?

badzero
May 17, 2017, 08:47
I bought a set of ar10 jigs from a member a couple of months ago and my son has been bugging me to do a ar10, but looking around I find that it seems everyone who sells the lowers only has uppers that lack the forward assist. I know I don't really need it, but they just don't look right to me without it. Does anyone know where I can get a matching set of an 80% lower and an upper with the assist?

Thanks
John

2barearms
May 17, 2017, 09:07
I actually like the upper I found here with a Door and no FA. The irony was
it had an Armalite threaded barrel nut.

The real issue you will likely have is that there is no 'standard' for the 308 AR.
Especially for 80% stuff. Any of the guys that make 'billet' lowers almost always have a proprietary fixture. Tactical Machining is the first to come to mind. 80% arms makes their own 308 lowers also.

badzero
May 17, 2017, 09:31
Yeah, I did know that, I guess I should have asked if anyone knew of an upper with a forward assist that mated well with a particular 80% lower. I have the 80% arms jigs.

2barearms
May 17, 2017, 09:33
Yeah, I did know that, I guess I should have asked if anyone knew of an upper with a forward assist that mated well with a particular 80% lower. I have the 80% arms jigs.

308's are a mine field to piece together.

hueyville
May 17, 2017, 10:30
308's are a mine field to piece together.

Amen, sir. If can't buy upper, lower and BCG from same vendor usually steer clear. Only exception were the W.O.A. complete uppers while available about a week...

richbug
May 18, 2017, 07:21
Amen, sir. If can't buy upper, lower and BCG from same vendor usually steer clear.

What a bunch of flower sniffing, tinker toy building pansies you all have become.

Doth no one remember the WECSOG? Building AKs out of whatever random piece of scrap that was laying around(a shovel comes to mind). Making a Hesse run? Having to decide between grinding of the the right part, or the cheapest part?

Now if the shit doesn't fall together you get your panties all in a twist.

2barearms
May 18, 2017, 07:53
What a bunch of flower sniffing, tinker toy building pansies you all have become.

Doth no one remember the WECSOG? Building AKs out of whatever random piece of scrap that was laying around(a shovel comes to mind). Making a Hesse run? Having to decide between grinding of the the right part, or the cheapest part?

Now if the shit doesn't fall together you get your panties all in a twist.

A misaligned hole in an AK sheet metal receiver is one thing. But having to remachine the charging handle channel is another. I got one upper on the market place that was a DPMS pattern without the forward assist but had a
Door and the barrel nut was threaded for an Armalite. Wtf....

badzero
May 18, 2017, 14:30
Thanks but that was unhelpful. Fwiw you can run an Armalite barrel on a dpms pattern rifle. You just have to use the armalite gas tube, and hand guard. Or mix and match free float/ barrel nut or length to get what you want as the armalite gas port is 3/4 of an inch farther down the barrel, combine that with the armalite buffer tube,spring and buffer and you have a much more civilised rifle. When I get done I'm going to start a Ar10 knowledge base thread that everyone can add their findings to.

2barearms
May 18, 2017, 15:48
Thanks but that was unhelpful. Fwiw you can run an Armalite barrel on a dpms pattern rifle. You just have to use the armalite gas tube, and hand guard. Or mix and match free float/ barrel nut or length to get what you want as the armalite gas port is 3/4 of an inch farther down the barrel, combine that with the armalite buffer tube,spring and buffer and you have a much more civilised rifle. When I get done I'm going to start a Ar10 knowledge base thread that everyone can add their findings to.

No problem. The maker of the stripped upper was never found. I did not attempt to use an Armalite barrel just picked up a Troy Alpha Hand Guard
and the Armalite barrel nut for it.

raubvogel
May 18, 2017, 22:00
I would love finding a 80% upper with built-in carry handle, so it could be the starting point of a Portuguese contract wannabe