PDA

View Full Version : DS Arms F A L Para top cover

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 16, 2017, 00:14
I recently purchased 2 Para top covers from DS Arms. Fit, finish, and function were excellent. I took one of my Paras to the range yesterday and somewhere between round zero and 100, this happened:
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/maddogkiller1/more%20stuff%20002_zpsw7fm8ftj.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/maddogkiller1/media/more%20stuff%20002_zpsw7fm8ftj.jpg.html)
http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t290/maddogkiller1/more%20stuff%20001_zpsdzrgiy1b.jpg (http://s163.photobucket.com/user/maddogkiller1/media/more%20stuff%20001_zpsdzrgiy1b.jpg.html)

I can repair it and I am certain that the other cover will fail just as this one did. The rifle never failed to function and I was unaware of the failure until I opened the rifle to change lowers. I will contact DS Arms tomorrow and see how they respond.

burtman
May 16, 2017, 00:57
Its all too true this happens and it would seem like wisdom from all the members who have in the past suggested using the rubbery thing called a recoil buffer to ease the sufferings of the DSA para recoil assembly.

Having said that you are not likely to see any licensed factory part shit the bed like this - so defend the weak (DSA) with a rubbery recoil thingy and carry on.

And get a replacement from DSA of course :facepalm: they will always warranty and that's the truth

meltblown
May 16, 2017, 06:55
Its all too true this happens and it would seem like wisdom from all the members who have in the past suggested using the rubbery thing called a recoil buffer to ease the sufferings of the DSA para recoil assembly.

Having said that you are not likely to see any licensed factory part shit the bed like this - so defend the weak (DSA) with a rubbery recoil thingy and carry on.

And get a replacement from DSA of course :facepalm: they will always warranty and that's the truth

Not sure if a buffer is a pro or con. The springs in a para damn near feel like they coil bind when they are compressed. I think less available space may make this even more a possibility.

raubvogel
May 16, 2017, 09:30
How did they connected both parts together? Spot weld? Epoxy? Elmer's glue?

burtman
May 16, 2017, 12:59
How did they connected both parts together? Spot weld? Epoxy? Elmer's glue?

My DSA looks like this Perhaps the OP could comment if that is oxidation or brazing material under there ??

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 16, 2017, 13:27
My DSA looks like this

Mine looked like yours. If you look at the pics of mine, you will see a small notch at the end of the top cover. That notch is where the tack weld was that held the guide rod assembly to the top cover. That tack weld was the only thing holding these two pieces together. Even a first week welding student would know that this would not hold up. When I received it, I assumed that the tack weld was there to hold everything together while it was being soldered during manufacture. Not so. That rust looking stuff is actually rust. It is a result of the park solution getting under the guide rod hood during processing and not getting completely flushed out by the soda bath.

I contacted DSA today and they are sending replacements along with a return shipping label for the two that I have. The second of mine hasn't failed, but it would if I were to use it.

G3isMe
May 16, 2017, 13:28
Totally unacceptable. Lucky it didn't fly apart and take your eye with it.....:sad:..

granite
May 16, 2017, 14:37
While this is really bad, I don't see it as flying apart while the frame lock is closed, since the cover part is held in the upper, and the rod part is inside the BC, which is held in the upper.
Am I missing something?
Totally unacceptable. Lucky it didn't fly apart and take your eye with it.....:sad:..

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 16, 2017, 16:26
Am I missing something?
Yes.

oleblu72
May 16, 2017, 18:44
Looks like DSA stuck it in a salt solution then wrapped some duct tape around it to hold it together and waited for it to rust weld and there you have it.

Mark

granite
May 16, 2017, 18:51
Was a serious question. I just don't know. Did the guide and spring fly out? I have one of these that I've never used, not having a para lower or stock. Thanks.Yes.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 17, 2017, 00:22
Was a serious question. I just don't know. Did the guide and spring fly out? I have one of these that I've never used, not having a para lower or stock. Thanks.

You asked a serious question and received a serious answer. Your question "Am I missing something?" was answered with "Yes." Had you asked "what am I missing?", I would have answered " The danger of eye piercing comes when the action is opened, not while the action is closed." But you didn't ask "what am I missing?", so I didn't answer the question not asked.

granite
May 17, 2017, 13:36
Thanks.

meltblown
May 17, 2017, 14:18
Well HBR you got me thinking. I have an ARMS 4 on my para shooting suppressed for about a 1000 rounds. Have the gas wide open. So decided to check it out last evening after seeing the thread.

Well took the damn thing off and the rivet for the spring guide is very loose. I can only imagine what the DSA would be now. Guess I'll have to get stimp to fix me up with a reduced gas plug.

Starting to think that a para needs a lot of attention.

fireplug
May 17, 2017, 14:31
My DSA looks like this Perhaps the OP could comment if that is oxidation or brazing material under there ??

85213That would be a spot weld,maybe they forgot too spot weld Hebrews top covers.

Olaf
May 17, 2017, 16:41
I may be wrong , but didn't GP post a fix on these?, thought I had it saved but no....

lew
May 17, 2017, 17:13
HBR: About how many rounds did this top cover have on it?

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 17, 2017, 21:49
HBR: About how many rounds did this top cover have on it?

The top cover had zero rounds on it when I began.

idsubgun
May 18, 2017, 09:36
Personally, I would have taken a different route for only one reason. The replacements have been manufactured the same way. What's to say they won't fail?

No, I would clean the two mating surfaces and silver solder them together, making sure all of the mating surface is actually soldered.

On a side note, it's a shame that the major manufacturer of aftermarket FAL parts has such a piss-poor track record with their parts. If you guys at DSA need a quality control person, give me a call. I did it for nearly 35 years in aerospace and semiconductor tool & die shops. I bet I can get your sorry asses up to speed in a hurry! (just kidding...I wouldn't live in Illinois!)

lew
May 18, 2017, 11:49
The top cover had zero rounds on it when I began.

Outstanding.:|:rolleyes:

At least mine has a few hundred through it. Still, I will stock up on a couple replacements, NOS or otherwise.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 18, 2017, 21:52
Personally, I would have taken a different route for only one reason. The replacements have been manufactured the same way. What's to say they won't fail?

Yes, I expect that. But if I want to have a valid stance when the replacements fail, I must first go through the process. If I am going to repair the top covers, I want to be compensated for it.

meltblown
May 18, 2017, 22:17
I think the para design is uber flawed. I can only imagine what a FA stock top cover could really take gassed up hard.