PDA

View Full Version : What a Croc

hkshooter
May 15, 2017, 20:19
:stirthepot:

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/640352324

Near Sighted Sniper
May 15, 2017, 20:38
I spoke with Croc a while ago about sending him my Ausi SLR that was built on a Century receiver & rebuilding it on an Enterprise Irwinde receiver that I had.
He was a nice guy to talk to & seemed knowledgeable but he wouldn't give me a price for the rebuild, I asked him a few times & all he said was send me the rifle & I'll tell you the price after it arrives. Now that I see his price on GB I'm glad I didn't send him that rifle.

Vulcanator
May 15, 2017, 23:04
While I don't doubt the quality of his work, his prices are out of this world. I'm curious if anyone bought one of these rifles and how it shoots.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 16, 2017, 01:10
While I don't doubt the quality of his work, his prices are out of this world. I'm curious if anyone bought one of these rifles and how it shoots.

I doubt that this rifle will perform well for the buyer. That hard pounding throb in the buyers anus will throw the shots all over the target.

base704
May 16, 2017, 01:40
I doubt that this rifle will perform well for the buyer. That hard pounding throb in the buyers anus will throw the shots all over the target.

But, it's chambered for "sniper ammunition"...

:facepalm:

Kb466
May 16, 2017, 08:50
I live not too far from Anthony (Croc). And while I have not bought one of his rifles, I did have him build and refinish my Australian SLR built on an Entreprise ABNI receiver with all Australian parts. He did a splendid job and I didn't think his charges (about $375) were too bad. And no, he didn't give a price till he had the rifle and parts in hand and could look it over.
One thing about Anthony is that he is a very nice fellow who has a fully equipped shop to work on L1A1's-- all the tools and parts. Anthony is a native Australian who grew up with the SLR's. I doubt you'll find many people more knowledgeable about these rifles. I am not going to comment on his asking price for his completed rifles, but I can attest to their quality and workmanship, having seen them and handled them. If the price is too high, don't buy it, but don't bash the guy when you really don't know. It's that simple.
Bill M.

DakTo
May 16, 2017, 09:47
Is it me or is that barrel a little short?

raubvogel
May 16, 2017, 09:48

May I add that to my sig?

J. Armstrong
May 16, 2017, 09:52
Is it me or is that barrel a little short?

PNG flash suppressor.

Good eye on the LOA, though !

hkshooter
May 16, 2017, 10:38
Anyone has the right to ask whatever they want for their items just as I have the right to laugh at it all I want.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 16, 2017, 11:55
May I add that to my sig?

Be my guest.:smile:

lew
May 16, 2017, 12:16
Anyone has the right to ask whatever they want for their items just as I have the right to laugh at it all I want.

Precisely.

That rifle looks great, but that's a "smoking crack cocaine" price.

embatp
May 16, 2017, 12:37
Am I wrong or do I remember reading in the Stevens book that they had to loosen tolerances in accuracy for the PNG flash hider so that it could meet the standards required? That it's less accurate?...

armed2012
May 16, 2017, 12:41
Someone must buy them because he has had those same advertisements with pictures up since 2011 on gunbroker.com I remember because I was looking for my first Joe poyer then and came across his stuff. Im not going to comment on price either :facepalm:

Pluribus
May 16, 2017, 17:04
So, if I have a ef-ay-el kit bilt by a real live Belgian dude will it be better than one built by a non-Belgian dude? I mean like, if an Aussie bloke builds a SLR it's like, the bestest and stuff and a non-Aussie not so much even if he knows what to charge? Next time I build a Injuh kit, I'm a gonna find me an Indian chap cause, he'll know how the best to build it and stuff. It'll cost but, I'm sure it'll be worth it. Whatever he decides to charge. I heerd there's some Arrogant Bastard in New Mexico or, Arizona somesuchawhur that knows egzachary how much of your money he wants for his efforts.

Isn't that what a fool and his money wants?

Look..........

:whistling:

:tongue:

:rofl:

:biggrin:

Shoots like lasers.............

:crackhead: :rofl:

baker72
May 16, 2017, 18:50
Gotta love this threads bashing Anothry it's great lol ussally goes like this , yeah great guy great build but screw that guy and his prices yeah yeah let me tell you screw that those pr,ices holy shit hahaha I will give him a call after I write this to have a laugh,:D

I've have one of those barrels the last of pat jones stuff that he has Ron smith heat treat on my PNG she shoots great and like last time his build prices are not this price not even close if you have most of the parts it's just a build and comparing this rifle price to him building you a great rifle with your receiver and parts is joke. he wanted to look at your Parts near sight shooter before he gives you a full build quote which is very normal other wise he quotes you a price the parts show up and then has to raise the quote due to bad or missing parts I know that's very strange for someone to want to give you a nononse quote I can she why you must have been concerned lol

again on these builds he hunts for a receiver and all the parts and these rifles do sell , I think for a person that has some cash and doesn't want to spend time hunting ( I like the hunt) for parts this is the way to go

He has build 3 Lithgow enfields for me 4 L1A1's one L2A1 and 2 M14s he is a top person and doesn't bring any of what I call the surf shop mentality to the table in other words he doesn't talk down to or sit on his High horse or even pretend to know everything

Btw I'm a mate of Anthony so I'm probably a bit bias as I'm sure I would just give away my cash cause Aussie yeah hell no

He is currently building or rebuilding my Bubberized Enfield t sniper back to her glory days

Cheers boys :uhoh: this thread reminds me of Mardi Gras in Kings Cross . Yep indeed it does ,

Sk8Man
May 16, 2017, 20:09
Thank you "baker72" and "Kb466" for being bold enough to speak up on this website and on behalf of Anthony. I live over near Amarillo, TX which is about a 5 hour drive from "Croc" and I have been to his place numerous times. He is a very fine guy, I consider him a real friend and he is as honest and fair as the total of the best 100 people on this site. We have done a good bit of gun trading and he has built three M14 rifles for me. BTW, "baker72", I traded the L1A1 with Buena Park Entreprise receiver to "Croc" that I had purchased a few years before from you. He really liked and wanted it. I really hated to part with it, but was glad to let it go to Anthony.

All of "Croc's" L1A1 rifles are built on the Buena Park receivers which he says are the best of any of the American made receiver copies. At one time he had about 24 of these that he had accumulated over a period of several years, many times by bidding on rifles on GumBroker that were selling reasonably low because the original parts kits were not that great but were built on Buena Park Entreprise receivers just to acquire the receiver. He told me years ago what he had in mind doing with them when he had managed to collect enough mint parts to start putting together some quality L1A1 rifles.

THERE IS A SNAKE THAT POISONS EVERYBODY!!! It topples governments, wrecks marriages, ruins careers, busts reputations, causes heartaches, nightmares, indigestion, spawns suspicion, generates grief, dispatches innocent people to cry in their pillows. Even its name hisses. It's called gossip. Office gossip, shop gossip, party gossip, website gossip. It makes headlines and heartaches.
So, Before you repeat a story, ask yourself:
Is it true?
Is it fair?
Is it necessary?
If not, shut up!

baker72
May 16, 2017, 20:12
Well said Sk8 cheers and beers mate and also Kb466

Will
Thank you "baker72" and "Kb466" for being bold enough to speak up on this website and on behalf of Anthony. I live over near Amarillo, TX which is about a 5 hour drive from "Croc" and I have been to his place numerous times. He is a very fine guy, I consider him a real friend and he is as honest and fair as the total of the best 100 people on this site. We have done a good bit of gun trading and he has built three M14 rifles for me. BTW, "baker72", I traded the L1A1 with Buena Park Entreprise receiver to "Croc" that I had purchased a few years before from you. He really liked and wanted it. I really hated to part with it, but was glad to let it go to Anthony.

All of "Croc's" L1A1 rifles are built on the Buena Park receivers which he says are the best of any of the American made receiver copies. At one time he had about 24 of these that he had accumulated over a period of several years, many times by bidding on rifles on GumBroker that were selling reasonably low because the original parts kits were not that great but were built on Buena Park Entreprise receivers just to acquire the receiver. He told me years ago what he had in mind doing with them when he had managed to collect enough mint parts to start putting together some quality L1A1 rifles.

THERE IS A SNAKE THAT POISONS EVERYBODY!!! It topples governments, wrecks marriages, ruins careers, busts reputations, causes heartaches, nightmares, indigestion, spawns suspicion, generates grief, dispatches innocent people to cry in their pillows. Even its name hisses. It's called gossip. Office gossip, shop gossip, party gossip, website gossip. It makes headlines and heartaches.
So, Before you repeat a story, ask yourself:
Is it true?
Is it fair?
Is it necessary?
If not, shut up!

Near Sighted Sniper
May 16, 2017, 21:40
[QUOTE=baker72;4422397
he wanted to look at your Parts near sight shooter before he gives you a full build quote which is very normal other wise he quotes you a price the parts show up and then has to raise the quote due to bad or missing parts
[/QUOTE]

You misunderstood me friend, I was gonna send the Croc a fully functional SLR that was built on a century receiver along with an Enterprise Irwindale stripped receiver, I just wanted him to swap the 2 out. That should have been easy enough to give a price quote for.
He's your Mate, I get it but I'm like most guys here.... I base my spending on the answers I received while shopping around. Now if he would have said " I'll swap the receivers out for $3xx plus return shipping " I would have sent it to him.

Pluribus
May 16, 2017, 22:27
Gotta love this threads bashing Anothry

Btw I'm a mate of Anthony so I'm probably a bit bias as I'm sure I would just give away my cash cause Aussie yeah hell no

Not really bashing the chap, just ribbing the lackadaisical pricing method and for me, the several statements of "he's Aussie so, he out'ta know" amuse the shit out of me so, must be made fun of. I mean, we gots Arrogant Bastards, machinists of all kinds, engineers and grease monkey wrenchenheimers and, we make fun of all'a them too. :wink:

Might as well have a "he's Aussie so, he out'ta know" to shine plus, he's free to price himself into a very narrow market window if he wants. I just don't see it IMHO, that's all.

Shit yeah.

:smile:

JonnyP
May 16, 2017, 22:48
I'll chime in on this, because like another couple of people here, I've had direct dealing with Anthony and owned two of his rifles. Not the 'complete replica' rifles on GB, but L1A1's and an L2A1. I've also talked to him on several occasions. I have a future build going to him as soon as I finish accumulating parts.

I have found him:

Friendly
Knowledgable
Honest
Passionate about what he does and the rifles he works on

That's more than can be said for many, many, smiths. He doesn't think his 'shite don't stink' and he is a genuine ex ADF armorer. That doesn't make him God, but it does mean that he can be relied on to know what he's doing. His builds and his reputation confirm that. Also he is rare in as much as he actually seems to want your business and will work with you.

So, he has a high price for parts he's patiently accumulated over the years to build into a very close replica of the real thing - which is practically unobtanium. There is a market for that and good luck to him. There is also a market for people paying $800-900 for matching STG kits that people on this board purchased for $199 or less. Don't hear complaints or ridicule about that, for the same reason - there is a finite supply and good demand. What I find ironic is that on the several threads I've seen flicking shit at him, there are only a very few people I know on this board who have actually ever talked to him or let alone owned one of his builds.

This is a guy who lives and breathes one of the many FAL variants that we all love, who has built a business around it, has many, many satisfied customers and is generally a good bloke and the real deal.

So what's the beef? I would suggest supporting a guy in our area of interest, which seems to be a dying breed or, if his prices are unappealing, see the above post by Sk8Man. I think it's shitty to take the piss out of his GB ad because he's trying to differentiate what he's doing from the usual mass of shitty Century L1A1 crap. There is a difference.

It's a croc to me that there's a thread dinging a fella, which most of the folks ridiculing don't even know or have dealing with. Meanwhile, if he was Moses, I guess he would walk on water...

baker72
May 16, 2017, 22:56
You misunderstood me friend, I was gonna send the Croc a fully functional SLR that was built on a century receiver along with an Enterprise Irwindale stripped receiver, I just wanted him to swap the 2 out. That should have been easy enough to give a price quote for.
He's your Mate, I get it but I'm like most guys here.... I base my spending on the answers I received while shopping around. Now if he would have said " I'll swap the receivers out for $3xx plus return shipping " I would have sent it to him.

No I got it ,,,:biggrin:

Kb466
May 16, 2017, 23:21
Well said Sk8 cheers and beers mate and also Kb466

Will

And thank you to both of you! Anthony is a class act for whom I have a great deal of respect. I've had only one transaction with Anthony and I feel he did a bang-up job. In my case, he had to fit locking shoulders, breaching washers, fit a flash hider, etc.-- I'm glad he had a full stock of the necessary parts. I suppose that is part of the reason he wanted to look at my "project" before quoting me a price. Again, I couldn't be happier as to how it turned out.
Bill M.

kma711
May 18, 2017, 12:38
Had him do my L1A1 and am very happy with it installed a couple of parts with the correct parts after checking with me and sent the rifle and all unused parts back, also very fast turn around time ,unlike some smiths that just change the parts for correct parts charge you for new parts and keep the old ones to sell too someone else which seems like double dipping

MilsurpMonkey
May 18, 2017, 17:55
I'll chime in on this, because like another couple of people here, I've had direct dealing with Anthony and owned two of his rifles. Not the 'complete replica' rifles on GB, but L1A1's and an L2A1. I've also talked to him on several occasions. I have a future build going to him as soon as I finish accumulating parts.

I have found him:

Friendly
Knowledgable
Honest
Passionate about what he does and the rifles he works on

That's more than can be said for many, many, smiths. He doesn't think his 'shite don't stink' and he is a genuine ex ADF armorer. That doesn't make him God, but it does mean that he can be relied on to know what he's doing. His builds and his reputation confirm that. Also he is rare in as much as he actually seems to want your business and will work with you.

So, he has a high price for parts he's patiently accumulated over the years to build into a very close replica of the real thing - which is practically unobtanium. There is a market for that and good luck to him. There is also a market for people paying $800-900 for matching STG kits that people on this board purchased for $199 or less. Don't hear complaints or ridicule about that, for the same reason - there is a finite supply and good demand. What I find ironic is that on the several threads I've seen flicking shit at him, there are only a very few people I know on this board who have actually ever talked to him or let alone owned one of his builds.

This is a guy who lives and breathes one of the many FAL variants that we all love, who has built a business around it, has many, many satisfied customers and is generally a good bloke and the real deal.

So what's the beef? I would suggest supporting a guy in our area of interest, which seems to be a dying breed or, if his prices are unappealing, see the above post by Sk8Man. I think it's shitty to take the piss out of his GB ad because he's trying to differentiate what he's doing from the usual mass of shitty Century L1A1 crap. There is a difference.

It's a croc to me that there's a thread dinging a fella, which most of the folks ridiculing don't even know or have dealing with. Meanwhile, if he was Moses, I guess he would walk on water...

Jonny, your post actually had me calling him. Just spent two hours on the phone with Anthony and all I can say is wow. Called about some Aussie replacement parts I'll be looking for after the Oregon shoot and it really took off from there. Not only is he knowledgeable on many of my favorite rifles, he's got knowledge of their design, heritage, and specs that I thought only my friend down in Sisters could produce on demand. Turns out he has the parts I'm looking for and the rifle will be going to him for a couple of little things to ensure proper fitment and a color/wear match. He also explained to me why his rifles carry the price they do, and I can certainly say some if the things done on those rifles are very costly, and the price reflects that. That said, you get what you pay for, and if I were in the market for the best Aussie money could buy, I'd be looking very hard at these after hearing what all has gone into them, and why he has chosen to use the parts that are there. Great guy to talk to.

Rudolf
May 18, 2017, 18:38
Seen his work...it's pretty good....

prices was reasonable.

Give the guy a chance.

JonnyP
May 18, 2017, 23:35
Jonny, your post actually had me calling him. Just spent two hours on the phone with Anthony and all I can say is wow. Called about some Aussie replacement parts I'll be looking for after the Oregon shoot and it really took off from there. Not only is he knowledgeable on many of my favorite rifles, he's got knowledge of their design, heritage, and specs that I thought only my friend down in Sisters could produce on demand. Turns out he has the parts I'm looking for and the rifle will be going to him for a couple of little things to ensure proper fitment and a color/wear match. He also explained to me why his rifles carry the price they do, and I can certainly say some if the things done on those rifles are very costly, and the price reflects that. That said, you get what you pay for, and if I were in the market for the best Aussie money could buy, I'd be looking very hard at these after hearing what all has gone into them, and why he has chosen to use the parts that are there. Great guy to talk to.

Well good for you fella! I'm glad you decided to check things out for yourself. As one of my personal heros, John Chatterton says: — Examine everything; not all is as it seems or as people tell you

Anyhoo, when are you coming over the mountain?

Hebrew Battle Rifle
May 19, 2017, 00:57
Gotta love this threads bashing Anothry

At what point in this thread did anyone bash Anthony Or Anothry?

JonnyP
May 19, 2017, 01:11

Do you think this is complimenting him? Interesting.

hkshooter
May 19, 2017, 05:38
Do you think this is complimenting him? Interesting.

That says nothing about the builder, only the rifle and it's price.

MilsurpMonkey
May 19, 2017, 08:21
Well good for you fella! I'm glad you decided to check things out for yourself. As one of my personal heros, John Chatterton says: Examine everything; not all is as it seems or as people tell you

Anyhoo, when are you coming over the mountain?

Any time I've got an excuse to do so.