PDA

View Full Version : 1911 LONG SLIDE BUILD?

smokeeater495
June 13, 2002, 17:27
I AM INTERESTED IN BUILDING A 1911 PISTOL IN A 6" bbl. LONG SLIDE VARIANT. CAN SOMEONE RECOMEND A GOOD FRAME MAKER. I DON'T WANT A BUNCH OF FITTING INVOLVED IN ASSEMBLY. WOULD I BE BETTER PURCHASING A SPRINGFIELD STAINLESS LONG SLIDE PISTOL.

Deltaten
June 14, 2002, 17:13
Clark was THE longslide man for years. Factory copies have all but dried up the "chop&stretch" biz. May as well do a SA comp model, for the money.

To get the quality of a Clark LS from a custom smith nowadays, you'd hafta sign over your firstborn!:) IIRC, Rock River Arms is also selling a 6" top end; might be worth a look.

You lookin' for something for competition, or just wanna "stretch" .45? If it's just for sight radius, try one of the drop-in comp kits, w/front sight attached. I shot one for 4 years in competition. I don't remeber whose unit it was, offhand, but it held up well (for an inexpensive unit), and the 6" LOA helped on long shots, balanccccced nicely, and reduced flip. MOre muzzle weight than comp, it only worked really well if HOT loads were used, and I didn't like 'em THAT hot!:D

Regards,
Paul