PDA

View Full Version : Tools

MP906
June 13, 2002, 16:51
I'm getting ready to start my first build. I ordered a Dan's grade 2. I am planning on putting it on a NGL Imbel. Gonna order the gunplumber video.

What tools do I need to put this thing together? I plan on doing more builds in the future, so I want to buy my own tools.

Where can one buy the tools? Estimated cost?

Thanks

Blood of Tyrants
June 13, 2002, 21:29
Depends on how fancy you want to get. I get by with basic hand tools (hammers, screwdrivers, punches, files, etc.) a 12" Crescent wrench, a big vice with hardwood blocks, and headspace gauges.

Others buy barrel clamps and receiver wrenches that cost about $60 each.

If you plan to build several, it is really nice to have your own air compressor and sandblasting cabinet.

63DH8
June 13, 2002, 21:44
If you post where you're at, someone nearby may have the tools. No can help if no-one knows where you're at.

MP906
June 14, 2002, 09:01
I'm in KC, MO.

I know some people in the area who have tools, but I'd like to buy my own set.

I plan on doing a lot more builds, say 5 or 6 more.

So, I don't mind forking over the $$$ on the "fancy" tools if they make the job go smoother.

Thanks

63DH8
June 14, 2002, 09:23
Here's where I went for the barrel vice and the receiver wrench. You'll have to do a search in this site for the locking shoulder gages. I highly reccomend this barrel vice as it's a good solid unit. I mounted mine on a stud on the wall of my garage so I can get under the vice and lift to torque the barrel on.

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/tools4fals/

MP906
June 14, 2002, 12:49
Thanks 63.

Can someone just list ALL the tools used in building FALs, figuring that cost is not a huge factor.

Blood of Tyrants
June 14, 2002, 12:57
Originally posted by MP906
Thanks 63.

Can someone just list ALL the tools used in building FALs, figuring that cost is not a huge factor.

This question has been asked many times. Do a search and you can find out yourself.