PDA

View Full Version : Indexing Muzzle Brakes ?

bykerhd
June 13, 2002, 15:38
I don't remember seeing this discussed so I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask about favorite methods used.

I'm not sure if you are supposed to reef them down tight or hand tight and back off to line up and install or what.

Variation on the two rod method to line them up ?

I've got two barrels waiting in the wings for the correct answer.
Thanks.

Sydwaiz
June 13, 2002, 15:55
Here is how I did it. I guess you can say its a variation of the "two rods" method.

1. Clamp barrel flats in a precision maching vise.
2. Insert rod/pin(s) into side ports of brake.
3. Rest each side of rod/pin(s) onto 1-2-3 blocks so both sides will be level. (Or any other blocks that are the same height)
4. Tighten set screw or silver solder in place.

I actually tapped my brake and used a set screw to secure it. I then ground down the set screw and welded over it to make it permanent. How legal this is I don't know. I will probably silver solder it just to make sure. HTH

Snakeshot
June 13, 2002, 15:58
Ideally it should be threaded to index properly. But since we don't live in a perfect world sometimes it's necessary to get it to the right spot.

I do them by eye, I'm sure there's a better way, but it works for me. If there are through holes, I do something similar to the "2 rods" method of barrel alignment. On the Belgian short combo device, I use straight bamboo bbq skewers through the holes and line the "X" up with the barrel. Works great. For the L1 type, I line the faux bayo lug up with the leveled barrel and receiver.