PDA

View Full Version : Question on storing a sar3 after firing 20 rounds without cleaning

gauraprema
May 11, 2017, 14:01
Due to circumstance Ive left a rifle with some family and it was shot,20 rounds of south african mixed with winchester 7.62 but they didnt clean the bbl or bolt.Im just now learning of this so Im wanting to know what kindof damage if any this may cause.Before they shot it,I had it soaked and cleaned as per my norm so any answer is appreciated.Thanks in advance.

hagar
May 11, 2017, 14:59
If they shot 7.62 in it, it is probably toast..;) Or it is a SAR1.

I would not worry about it, if they shot Wolf through it, I would. That stuff is tremendously corrosive, even those marked "non corrosive".

eyegun
May 12, 2017, 17:38
I rarely clean any of my HK's after shooting.

Even the belt feds.

hkshooter
May 12, 2017, 18:30
Guy I work with, his son and a buddy shot the shit out of his HK91, didn't clean it. a few months later the coworker brings me the gun to brag on it. It was completely nasty, the bolt head and carrier were both rusted and the gun was caked with fouling, bore looked like shit. I have no idea what they fired.

I cleaned the rifle for him. The carrier and bolt head are permanently discolored and lightly pitted, the bore is perfect, not a mark or problem.

If you are worried tell them to clean it, to take it to someone to be cleaned, or recover it and clean it yourself. The fact that it's an HK has shit to do with what will happen to it is it's neglected.

W.E.G.
May 12, 2017, 19:38
They do sell WD-40 at the 7-11.

Even the lamest shooter should be able to manage that.

A three second blast down the barrel, and then lean in the corner muzzle-down on an old towel until a grown up can see to it.

meltblown
May 12, 2017, 21:33
20 rounds? Maybe at 200 or so. And I don't believe in WD 40. That shit promotes rust as it has no oil.

hkshooter
May 12, 2017, 22:24
That shit promotes rust as it has no oil.

Promotes rust? Surely you jest?

Trypcil
May 12, 2017, 23:29
WD40 - Water displacement # 40!
https://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/

What WD40 says - https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

msds for wd40 - https://wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf

for what its worth! - apparently it was originally developed during the Atlas missile program, as a corrosion inhibiter - I wonder what sort of "O" rings they used? :rolleyes:
For firearms such as the Fal, it should be fine - it will create a dust collection problem perhaps - but essentially, for most ardent enthusiasts, putting it on and then taking it off is where the damage occurs! It does remarkably well in lessening the glue in shipping labels on shipping cases, and might hurt, harm, upset some old cracked up rubberised gaskets and the sundry, but I trust 'Atlas', largely!

lew
May 13, 2017, 13:19
20 rounds? That means there's likely still more than enough lube on all the operating parts. I wouldn't sweat it, but give it a good look-over when you get yer mitts on it.

WD-40 is better than nothing, but don't let it dry on the gun parts as it leaves a bitchy film behind.

Illurian00
May 13, 2017, 15:22
20 rounds? That means there's likely still more than enough lube on all the operating parts. I wouldn't sweat it, but give it a good look-over when you get yer mitts on it.

WD-40 is better than nothing, but don't let it dry on the gun parts as it leaves a bitchy film behind.

Yup, WD-40 would be better than nothing as far as guns are concerned,,,but that's about it.

meltblown
May 13, 2017, 15:48
Promotes rust? Surely you jest?

We live in high humidity down here. It seems that WD 40 doesn't really stick to the metal. I've hosed down bolt carriers and kits in it and left them on a shelf. Come back after a couple of weeks and they are getting a little surface rust. It has it's place but does pretty much evaporate from the surface and just leaves some weird stuff. So promotes may not be the right term and maybe saying that it is a very short term rust inhibitor is more accurate.

hkshooter
May 13, 2017, 16:05
Dad had a 1976 Ford F250 we used to haul stone in, as in loads of coarse aggregate for mixing concrete. Every time we hauled a load, once the load was emptied we swept the bed clean of small stones and dust and hosed the floor of it down with WD-40, especially the center section that was completely bare metal where constant raking and shoveling kept the metal nice and shiny.
The truck would sit in the weather for days until we needed another load and then the procedure was repeated. This happened for a number of years while stone and then dirt loads, not to mention all other items of junk or refuse were hauled away and discarded, up until the truck went away.
When the truck was eventually (finally!) traded in 1993 on a new one the bed of that old truck still looked like shiny bare metal with only a spec or two of red where some of the last coat of WD-40 had been scraped away by something.

WD isn't the be all, end all of corrosion inhibitors and I know of plenty of better alternatives. But I can see it protecting a rifle's innards hosed down with it and set in a closet for a long period of time. Personally, I won't use the stuff on a firearm in any capacity as a general rule but if I had nothing else I'd have no qualms with it, being sure to keep it away from bolt heads and magazines and making sure to swab the bore with acetone before firing.

As said above, the stuff has it's place.

Lon Moer
June 11, 2017, 00:05
Its a Battle Rifle.
Its made to run through water, dirt, sand, mud and shoot hundreds of rounds over a sustained period with reliability and accuracy.
Its not even going to notice a couple dozen rounds.:rolleyes:

STGThndr
June 17, 2017, 08:57
The Romanian SAR3 AK variant was imported with chrome-lined barrels, ALTHO Romania being what it is it would come as no surprise if *some* barrels missed the chrome step.

I gather, after thinkin on it, that your rifle is in 7.62X51?? This would be the Springfield Armory Greek-made rifle, a clone of the H&K 91. IF SO, wth were those guys firing in those weapons? Whizzing down the bore? What?

All US .308 and NATO 7.62X51 is and has been non-corrosive from the git-go. Winchester and South African are/were always non-corrosive. South African ammo was made to NATO small arms ammunition specs.
Caked in rust, rusted together??? Never seen anything like that except in black powder firearms.... Ive cleaned AKs with WD "Water Displacement, Formula 40" before- after scrubbing the barrel FIRST with water and a couple patches. As noted elsewhere WD40 is a cleaner, rust preventative, NOT a lube. Then a little oil.. no rust evident tho I do clean them with Sweets or Hoppes once home again. Noncorrosive ammo should not have that effect on any rifle. These are battle rifles and why there are these issues is beyond me... Especially as these were chromed barrels. A LONG TIME ago I got hold of some ALLEGEDLY Ost-bloc 7.62X51 surplus that was ALLEGED by some to be corrosive(???) but I never had any issues with it. Just sayin, thinkin aloud....

I have seen what ww2 8mm ammo can do to an uncleaned barrel in a humid climate.. BUT it didnt rust the bolt into the barrel or anything close..
Must be more to the story eh.

J. Armstrong
June 17, 2017, 10:24
As noted, WD40 is to displace moisture, it was never intended to provide lubrication.

That said, I'm betting the rifle will be okay, but if it were mine, the "caretakers" would NOT be fine after I reclaimed the weapon :mad:

little308
June 20, 2017, 09:34
Just a couple observations.

Someone is interpreting this SAR3 as Romanian. Remember that when Springfield first started importing their Greek built HK clones, they were named SAR3, later changed to SAR8. Just recall what section you are in with these threads. :-)

Yes, most .308 surplus and commercial out of the US and most countries like Africa and England, et all is brass cased and non-corrosive. But remember, there is plenty of steel cased stuff from Comm Bloc countries and I do not trust any of that to be non corrosive. Since it was South African, more than likely all will be ok, but better safe than sorry.

Just as someone pointed out, Romanian AKs were supposedly built with chrome lined bores. I had an SAR2 that I shot 100 rounds through one weekend, which was Wolff or some other commercial loader out of Russia. Let the thing sit in the garage one evening (not in the air coned house) and the next evening I was horrified. The bore had grown a ginger beard! Never trusted Comm Bloc ammo again to NOT be corrosive.

I would use Rem Oil down a bore before I would do WD40. That is to supposedly offset moisture, if I could not clean the bore that same day.

And finally, the HK roller lock design is a beast. Thank goodness you don't have a gas system for the corrosive salts to get into, but you do have a bolt head, rollers and firing pin that can all lock up. Even if one days corrosion started, I suspect it would not be much and you could do a quick clean and shoot the rifle with a good non corrosive ammo to smooth out the bore and rough sand the components back down to spec. Then really clean it properly and you will have stopped the rust in it's tracks and possibly continue to polish that rifle up just a bit. They are bruisers in the battle Rifle arena. Treat them as such.

I recall an episode of Hogan's Heros were somebody is trying to reassemble something that is German made. They are having trouble fitting the parts when the Colonel walks up and takes a hammer and force fits the part.... slides right in! The Colonel exclaims, "That's all these German machines understand...Force".

ICOM7800
June 20, 2017, 19:50
WD40 - Water displacement # 40!
https://www.wired.com/2009/04/st-whatsinside-6/

What WD40 says - https://wd40.com/cool-stuff/myths-legends-fun-facts

msds for wd40 - https://wd40.com/files/pdf/msds-wd482671453.pdf

for what its worth! - apparently it was originally developed during the Atlas missile program, as a corrosion inhibiter - I wonder what sort of "O" rings they used? :rolleyes:
For firearms such as the Fal, it should be fine - it will create a dust collection problem perhaps - but essentially, for most ardent enthusiasts, putting it on and then taking it off is where the damage occurs! It does remarkably well in lessening the glue in shipping labels on shipping cases, and might hurt, harm, upset some old cracked up rubberised gaskets and the sundry, but I trust 'Atlas', largely!Ive tried to tell people this for30 years they look at me like Im a fool.

cjjtulsa
June 22, 2017, 16:32
These are battle rifles and why there are these issues is beyond me... Especially as these were chromed barrels.

Not 100% certain, but I don't think any of the G3s or their clones had chrome lined bores.

hkshooter
June 22, 2017, 19:45
Not 100% certain, but I don't think any of the G3s or their clones had chrome lined bores.

Correct.
He may have been referring to the SAR3 AK rifle, hard to tell.

garandguy10
June 25, 2017, 11:04
So long as the ammo is non corrosive, you should have no problems.

Letting an amateur clean your rifle will cause more damage than you may realize. Do Not Do It!

If you are really worried, have them spray some Break Free, or 3 in 1 oil, or just some plain old gun oil down the bore and let it sit until you retrieve the rifle.

Do not let amateurs swab the bore of your rifle.

Guy-epic
June 25, 2017, 11:35
I personally use lubrication very little as it only attracts crud. After I shoot I clean the rifle extremely well and lightly lubericate. I have had a AK that I forgot to clean after a few hundred rounds, all rounds were highly corrosive. I tore it down and it was dirty but due to the light lubricantion it cleaned up nicely. No damage at all

hansellhd
June 25, 2017, 13:03
In my mind more lubrication is better than less. If one stores the gun properly dirt is not a consideration, Corrosion is the enemy. Also I have also found products that do not attract dust/dirt.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1556184523/birchwood-casey-barricade-rust-preventative-aerosol

Like this.