PDA

View Full Version : Gunsmith Needed

Ramone
May 10, 2017, 13:19
For whatever reason, I can't seem to get the old rat tail out of my bolt carrier, so I decided to send it out to a smith. Any recommendations?

D. Lehrman
May 10, 2017, 14:11
....and why do you need to remove the rat tail? Bent? Mangled?

It's permanently riveted in place, so yeah, you may need another party to replace. The rat tail with rivet are readily available as repros from DSA. You could definitely do thework yourself, but may not want to mess with the rivet.

Ramone
May 10, 2017, 15:43
The rat tail is a bit loose, so I bought a rebuild kit. Know any smiths who would do the work?

FUUN063
May 10, 2017, 18:18
You can do what you want, but it would literally take you ten minutes to do the work yourself. Find a small diameter punch that fits in the "flared" portion (left side) of the rivet holding the rat tail in the carrier. Block of wood on the other side for support and tap out the old rivet, cutting off the flared portion in the process. Then, while holding it in a bag or your hand over the rat tail's plunger, remove the rat tail by pulling it to the rear. This will release the rat tail, rat tail plunger and rat tail spring in the process, but be careful it don't shoot into no man's land. Clean out the recess, replace the spring/reused the plunger and put it back together with a new rivet. The process to re-rivet the rat tail back has been done a little differently between members here, but basically it's the same end result. You simply flare the small end of the rivet so that it don't come back out. Personally, I take a punch that is slightly smaller than the large end of the rivet (fits into the carrier recess) and clamp it in a vise with the end facing up. Then, place the carrier w/rivet onto this punch so that it acts as a "buck" to stabilize the rivet. Lastly, use a suitable tapered punch (some use a Phillips screwdriver or medium center punch for this) and flare out the rivet so that it don't come out. It really doesn't take much for this, either. If you still want to send it out, let the members here know where you're at and there may be someone close by that can do it without shipping it. Good luck.

Leland
:fal:

D. Lehrman
May 10, 2017, 18:22
Look up in the services sticky at the Marketplace top...here:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=62

There are many that'll do the work there. Your problem will be how long will it take with all the back and forth + the added expense.

It's really pretty simple to Dremel the rivet on the end, remove the plunger, spring and reverse with the new parts, then reset the new rivet. The real tricky part is having the new rivet...hard to salvage the old one. Hard to find the legit factory rivet, but DSA makes all the components including that one.

gunplumber
May 12, 2017, 10:28
Hard to find the legit factory rivet, but DSA makes all the components including that one.

On that subject. An AK center support rivet can be modified to fit. Slightly smaller dia head, slightly larger dia shaft, but it's the closest I've found. Turn the diameter before shortening so you have something to hold on to.

Ramone
May 23, 2017, 22:40
Tried everything, no joy. Mark, would you be willing to do the work? I have a rebuild kit with the rivet, spring and plunger and new tail.

gunplumber
May 24, 2017, 08:23
Send it to me with a priority mail small flat rate box preprinted return label and $10

Ramone
May 24, 2017, 08:47
I will, thanks Mark.

Ramone
May 30, 2017, 19:47
Mark, the bolt carrier was sent last week, so please give me a shout when you get, Thanks.

gunplumber
May 31, 2017, 08:48
yep, got it yesterday. Not sure why you want to change out the rat tail, but yes, the end of the old rivet is pretty mangled. Should still punch out, or I'll drill it out.

Ramone
May 31, 2017, 11:47
The spring is pretty weak, and the tail had more play than any other FAL I own. If you can still reuse the original tail, great. Thanks again!