PDA

View Full Version : L1A1 from hearth of Europe

RooneyCZ
May 04, 2017, 16:04
Hi guys, new member from Czech Republic and new happy SLR owner.
Recently I finally get my hands on L1A1 and the condition of it is rather suspicious to me....except the furniture that gun looks really nice at least from what I have seen so far.
Hell, most of the scratches on the selctor and charging handle I made yesterday by practicing with it...
http://i.imgur.com/56StKz4.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/R0F9JaT.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/F1mYHt1.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/pEaGMvb.jpg
Just the scratched ?electro-penciled? flags made me wonder if those are the proof marks, or what.
Anyway bore looks great and SLR now enjoys deep Froglube bath, now the hard part of getting bayonets manuals and other accesories to complete it :-D

baker72
May 04, 2017, 16:11
Welcome, super sweet L1A1

sparkeyboaz
May 04, 2017, 16:32
I'm jealous as hell right now!
I searched all over to piece together a Clone of a UB58 Brit rifle because I was born in 1958. Kind of a sentimental thing I guess.
Still very nice rifle and thank you for the pics!
Sincerely Sparkeyboaz

SPEEDGUNNER
May 04, 2017, 17:13
Tell us more!! I would love to know the backstory on that beaut!!

enbloc8
May 04, 2017, 17:44
Perhaps one of the British war-stocks rifles? Seems like a lot of them were sold off to Europe.

prosecond
May 04, 2017, 19:23
Nice

RooneyCZ
May 05, 2017, 06:08
Wish I could tell more, but I have no idea. Some people here say that theese are refurbs, and in the pile ive been choosing from i have seen some with L2A1 lowers..but this one has all matching serial numbers and condition is superb in comparison to thoose mixed ones. Guess its all from some war stock bunch sold off. Barell is VHC stamped, other than that i dont know guys. And as the law here requires to proof the gun for civilian sector, the importer had to let the gun be fired by czech proof house so any copper in bore lands and grooves and gastube gunk could be result of that, or the shooting of it before...

DakTo
May 05, 2017, 07:57
I believe the L1A1 had been refurbished by evidence of the phosphate rear sight base, the cross pin of the internal locking latch and the pin of the of the cocking handle knob which are both in the white.
Some of the 1990 US parts kit imports were in this same condition.

An excellent L1A1.

RooneyCZ
May 05, 2017, 11:03
Thanks for the input. :)
Refurb or not, I probably couldnt be more happy for the price I got it...(around 720 USD depending on the exchange rate)...

DakTo
May 05, 2017, 11:49
I think you have a winner in all respects.:whiskey:

RooneyCZ
May 05, 2017, 15:16
Well, asi it turns out, its refurb, as it has enlarged gas port by depo....expection same problem as tatan in few posts lower...never mind, already thinking about unholy solutions.

01BIRDDOG
May 05, 2017, 19:26
Beautiful L1A1.......That third pic. is the money shot.

NZ L1A1 Collector
May 06, 2017, 02:12
The rifle is ex British War Reserve. The rifles were refurbished before being put into War Reserve and can contain a lot of Australian parts.

Here's what they looked like, Mine came out of CZ

genethepoolcleaner
May 06, 2017, 19:34
Beautiful L1A1.......That third pic. is the money shot.

Shit yeah it is, I put it on my desktop.:whistling:

y18376
May 06, 2017, 19:36
The rifle is ex British War Reserve. The rifles were refurbished before being put into War Reserve and can contain a lot of Australian parts.

Here's what they looked like, Mine came out of CZ

Nice L1, It certainly makes all the ex NZDF shot out stuff look sick. :smile:

NZ L1A1 Collector
May 07, 2017, 00:16
Nice L1, It certainly makes all the ex NZDF shot out stuff look sick. :smile:

sssssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh don't say that too loud......... looking over the rifle I'm thinking it was refurbished on a Friday afternoon on the last day of the year, with some monkey who was given a spray gun to boot.

It original came from Donnington. Printed on the label it says:-
"IN THE CASE OF COMPLANT THIS LABEL MUST BE RETURNED TO: OIC No2 SUB DEPOT BLDG B54, COD DONNINGTON TELFORD SALOP TF2-8JT."

Actually I think I should give them a call and complain, the paint job is crap on the handguards, there are cracks on the Body Cover at the lugs. It was refurbed or checked in January 1990.