PDA

View Full Version : New member and my L1A1

Boerboel
May 02, 2017, 01:35
Greetings from Finland to all. New forum member and gun owner :)
I bought an Aussie L1A1, old cougar lady 1962...original wood furnitures+plastic ones...I'm interested about its history, if someone can help and has info, I would be happy camper to know where it has been...
Serialnumber is AD6216654

http://i68.tinypic.com/nvacd1.jpg

Thanks.
-boerboel

msnyder
May 02, 2017, 01:47
Welcome to the Files! Skennerton's SLR book says it was issued to Singapore, long and short butts.

zouaverifle
May 02, 2017, 02:03
Welcome !

Nice L1A1...:fal:

ZR

Chester Nimitz
May 02, 2017, 02:23
It has New Zealand Carry Handle. Do the handguards have holes on the top?

Boerboel
May 02, 2017, 03:01
It has New Zealand Carry Handle. Do the handguards have holes on the top?

Thanks guys!

Wooden handguard has three round holes both sides, Modern rail handguard was on...and I changed all plastic...
I can take pictures of those wooden parts if needed.

01BIRDDOG
May 02, 2017, 07:28
Welcome aboard and i love your L1A1.

USMCTanker
May 02, 2017, 19:40
Nice. I wish we could own an original Aussie SLR here in the US as nice as yours :)

Looks like the front sling swivel is missing which should be an easy fix, but what's going on with the "S" (short) buttplate? The buttstock appears to be maranyl (our English cousins sometimes call it "resin"), but the buttplate is sitting too high.

Are you able to buy "spares" (spare parts) in Finland?

Boerboel
May 10, 2017, 03:35
Nice. I wish we could own an original Aussie SLR here in the US as nice as yours :)

Looks like the front sling swivel is missing which should be an easy fix, but what's going on with the "S" (short) buttplate? The buttstock appears to be maranyl (our English cousins sometimes call it "resin"), but the buttplate is sitting too high.

Are you able to buy "spares" (spare parts) in Finland?

Thanks! Yes front swivel is missing and buttstock has no swivel either...I have two metal buttplates but no screws...Yes that buttplate is sitting too high, no idea why...it is stuck, does not move a bit...
Spares are hard to find in Finland...Germany is a only country where to order is possible...No shipping UK, no shipping US...

MAINER
May 10, 2017, 08:02
Welcome. Nice rifle you have brought to your FALFiles debut.

Some info you may not be aware of;
AD6216654 = Rifle produced by SAF Lithgow (Small Arms Factory) located in New South Wales in 1962 and was the 16,654th produced that year.

msynder says it went to Singapore. I was there in 1964 and can attest that FAL's were put to use against the communist insurgency at that time.

L1A1 Butt screws were 2.5" for the EL and L (extra long and long stocks), 2.0" for M or medium and 1.5" for S or short.

Good luck with your L1A1, hope you can get the parts to make it complete.

Shikari
May 21, 2017, 02:20
There are other members from Finland also...:)

Let me introduce my old British ladies from the beginning of the 60s.

Made by BSA and Enfield. I was lucky to find nice original wood for the Enfield.

http://i1311.photobucket.com/albums/s677/flashman66/unnamed%208_zps6gr5kkl1.jpg

SteelonSteel
May 21, 2017, 07:24
Beauty! I have buddy I was in the guard with moved to Finland. I joke with him at being the only black guy in 🇫🇮 Finland.

It's either an aftermarket butt or someone clipped the triangle shaped fin that the Lower swivel mounts on. Unless the NZs had theirs in a mortise hole like a
Wood stock.