PDA

View Full Version : So I picked up a KSG...

gates
April 30, 2017, 14:46
thought I'd try it out with the Shockwave to see what I like better for inside the house - aside from a light, a dot, and an MOE short vert grip is there anything else worth doing to this shotty?

fuel fire desire
April 30, 2017, 16:20
thought I'd try it out with the Shockwave to see what I like better for inside the house - aside from a light, a dot, and an MOE short vert grip is there anything else worth doing to this shotty?

I just have the MOE vert grip and MBUS on mine. It's THE most fun gun I own....including my FAL, big bores, etc. So easy to point, light recoiling, and shockingly accurate.

Believe it or not, this is what the gun produced at 100 yards off of a sandbag. Herters foster slugs. (Not that I could likely reproduce it)

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p205/fuel_fire_desirels1/firearms/8661ECCF-670A-47E1-8507-B0CF912262F1_zpscee8lxzl.jpg

Over on the KelTec forums they really suggest using a 5" long aluminum riser on the underside rail if you want to use a vert grip, as there's some horror stories of some rails failing and the user shooting their hand off. I don't have one, and I too have the MOE with the dual pin attachment. I feel entirely confident in its strength given the way I shoot it. I've seen some shoot these like they're having a seizure (as hard and as fast as they can), and under those situations of just beating the hell out of the gun I can see how a failure can occur, especially with torquing on a long vert grip.......but not with the way a sane operator would handle it, and especially with a stubby.

I wouldn't use the MBUS again. I chose them since I liked them on my AR, but they don't translate well on the KSG. The rear sight is too far away from my eye to effectively see through the pinhole aperture. The night aperture kind of dissolves away since it's so thin. I've been toying around with getting a SeeAll, but then pot shots at 100 yards would be hard with the drop a slug has. Something like an aimpoint micro would probably be optimal....but I really like how compact the gun is naked and don't want to stray from that.

Abominog
April 30, 2017, 17:58
Get a foam cheek pad.

Best thing with ksg is you can run one tube with slugs and the other with buck

However you load the tubes remember it's easier to pull the tube selector than find it and push it.

gates
April 30, 2017, 18:10
FFD - I set mine up like yours sans the BUIS - add a Vortex dot I pulled off a backup AR - seems like a handy, minimalistic setup.

Merl
May 01, 2017, 19:18
Happen to know how it handles those mini shells/slugs?

gates
May 02, 2017, 13:41
Not yet but in the vids I have seen it seems to work fine

rarecat
May 02, 2017, 19:06
Happen to know how it handles those mini shells/slugs?

I just got my hands on a few boxes of mini shells....now I need to get to the range and test them in my KSG...will report back once complete

RG Coburn
May 03, 2017, 06:01
So this is the shotgun Joe Biden said I should get?

gates
May 03, 2017, 12:18
Don't think he'd approve of this one:)

gates
May 04, 2017, 14:53
So I shot the thing yesterday - worked fine with the Aguila less one failure to extract that I blame on my poor technique - the gun requires a solid stroke when jacking shells in and out of the chamber - that sounded kinda pervy but I can't think of better way to describe it.

fuel fire desire
May 04, 2017, 15:12
So I shot the thing yesterday - worked fine with the Aguila less one failure to extract that I blame on my poor technique - the gun requires a solid stroke when jacking shells in and out of the chamber - that sounded kinda pervy but I can't think of better way to describe it.

Yep....this isn't a gun you can sissy around. You have to pump it with deliberate effort.

The big reason for this, is the fore end hits the bolt lock lever before it reaches the interrupter catch. It takes a lot of force to move that lock lever vertically down while the fore end is moving back at the very last 1/2" of its stroke.

Im not sure why its like this, but Im sure the KelTec engineers have a purpose for it since its on both generations.

Timber Wolf
May 04, 2017, 17:35
Don't make me buy one of these. I haven't had my RDB back from warranty work at KelTec that long.:rolleyes:

gates
May 04, 2017, 22:11
Did I mention - shooting it is the most fun Ive had with my pants on in a long time:-) very - fun - gun:-)

there, did that help:bigangel:

acolonelofcorn
May 04, 2017, 23:06
only thing I don't like is how shells often eject hard into my wrist

gates
May 05, 2017, 00:33
Didn't experience that but, evidently, I wasn't operating the slide at the optimal velocity required to insure 100% reliability - many of the YT vids I have watched have made that claim and showed the blood, if it starts happening Ill either buy the deflector or I'll wear gloves.

Timber Wolf
May 05, 2017, 07:16
the gun requires a solid stroke when jacking shells in and out of the chamber - that sounded kinda pervy but I can't think of better way to describe it.

If it isn't a little pervy maybe you are not doing it right.;)

RG Coburn
May 05, 2017, 08:12
only thing I don't like is how shells often eject hard into my wrist

Alternate hands...and use more lube...:whistling:

gates
May 05, 2017, 10:48
If you watch the youtube vids of guys shooting it they are all use a vigorous stroke and it does indeed kick the hull out with some velocity - Hickock had a bandage on his wrist and the Military Arms Channel guy was bleeding and ended up buying an aftermarket deflector.

fuel fire desire
May 05, 2017, 11:14
Ive only ever shot mine with Mechanix gloves, never had a problem.

Timber Wolf
May 24, 2017, 14:54
Got to feel up on one of these at the LGS the other day. Melikee methinks. Not enough to pay what they were asking, but maybe enough to pick one up cheaper somewhere later this year. For the life of me I don't know why though, just cuzz I can I guess.:rolleyes:

Never fear, I did not leave empty handed though. I bought a Gen 2 Sub2K in 9mm that takes the Glock mag. Since I am all eat up with Glock mags and stuff. Also ordered a new G41 MOS, again just cuzz.:biggrin:

Nuttz
May 24, 2017, 15:28
Sorry for drift/high-jack:
...I bought a Gen 2 Sub2K in 9mm that takes the Glock mag. Since I am all eat up with Glock mags and stuff...
I also just picked up a NIB Gen2 Sub2K for under $400 that takes my M&P9 mags (all eat up with M&P stuff). Just playing around in the office so far, I think I am gonna like this little truck-monkey. Gonna take it out and shoot it this weekend along with the other 9s (M&P, MPX, P938). I'll run the MCX while I am out there to practice for the Okie Summer Run-N-Gun as well.

yovinny
May 25, 2017, 16:50
I keep looking at those in the LGS,,,They sure have come down in price,,, $769. last I saw.

If it just didnt need to have such a high sight line,,,I'd like it way better :|

gates
May 25, 2017, 18:20
I don't know man, I have a dot on mine and it shoulders and indexes just fine...

yovinny
May 26, 2017, 09:18
I don't know man, I have a dot on mine and it shoulders and indexes just fine...

I'm sure it does bro,,,but thats kind of my point.

A scatter gun that NEEDS to wear optics, just kind of goes against the grain...:(

Bad enough it's got a disconnector and no hammer...:tongue:

gates
May 26, 2017, 23:19
Maybe, but I'd take it to a gunfight:smile:

1911Ron
May 27, 2017, 18:14
I just picked up one and was wondering if you can leave the tube selector in the center position and feed both tubes till it's empty or do i need to leave it one way or the other?

gates
May 27, 2017, 19:02
one way or the other - middle position neither side feeds

1911Ron
May 27, 2017, 19:44
one way or the other - middle position neither side feeds

Huh the gun counter guy lied:eek::rofl::rofl:

Next question what forearm handle should i get?

nopec
May 27, 2017, 19:45
Try federal tru-ball slugs. They are extremely accurate out of a smooth bore. The base is hollow and expands to contact the barrel.

gates
May 27, 2017, 21:10
I put this on mine:

http://www.moderntacticalonline.com/magpul/_/Rail-Verticle-Grip?gclid=CIDwhIjBkdQCFUpNfgodGbgI-w

1911Ron
May 27, 2017, 21:28
I put this on mine:

http://www.moderntacticalonline.com/magpul/_/Rail-Verticle-Grip?gclid=CIDwhIjBkdQCFUpNfgodGbgI-w

Thanks!

gates
May 28, 2017, 00:15
Yeah - read the horror stories about guys being a bit overzealous whilst racking the slide and blowing a number of fingers off when their vert grip broke - I think we're GTG with this one.

No bueno: https://www.thegunwriter.com/19139/another-devastating-kel-tec-ksg-injury/#prettyPhoto/1/

1911Ron
May 28, 2017, 13:15
I got curious about the mini shells and did some research, they are 1 3/4" and the slug version has a 386 grain projectile at 1245ish fps and if my math is right you could stuff 24 in the tubes and one in the chamber for a grand total of 25 rnds:biggrin: i'm thinking this will be my HD gun!:cool:

gates
May 28, 2017, 19:02
:biggrin:

1911Ron
May 29, 2017, 16:07
Big five had the black and silver one for $1,125.00:facepalm:

acolonelofcorn
May 29, 2017, 16:18
A scatter gun that NEEDS to wear optics, just kind of goes against the grain...:(

https://danieldefense.com/components-parts/fixed-front-rear-sight-combo.html

I have these on my ksg, no optics needed.

gates
May 29, 2017, 20:26
Right - I chose to put a dot on mine, my 51 year old eyes don't focus like they used to:-)

1911Ron
May 31, 2017, 12:42
I went with the AFG, a inexpensive reflex sight and a cheap sling, i think I'm done for now! :rofl: :whistling:
http://i1048.photobucket.com/albums/s368/1911Ron/Rifles/20170531_101220-1_zpsvdvl7psc.jpg

1911Ron
May 31, 2017, 15:28
Interesting
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/dtG6StDLorE?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fuel fire desire
May 31, 2017, 16:20
I went with the AFG, a inexpensive reflex sight and a cheap sling, i think I'm done for now! :rofl: :whistling:

Thats all you need!

I probably have 800-1000 rounds though mine now, all I ever did was add a Magpul stubby vert grip and MBUS. I never added the extended tube selector, shell deflector, or receiver cover. Keeping mine minimalistic has worked out just fine for me.

Is that the burnt bronze?

Thats what mine is too. I was told by the store that it was a part of the plastic and not a durakote........but its totally a durakote. Its wearing off at rub points in the action and where the slide rubs the frame, exposing the black underneath.

Other than that, zero problems. Just pump it with authority.