PDA

View Full Version : Remington 1903a3 restoration

DJ
April 30, 2017, 11:03
I might have bitten off a big chunk here and I need some advice and guidance though this project.
I ran onto a Remington 1903a3 barrelled action. The barrel is marked RA, with the flaming bomb, and the date is 9-43.
I have the original (I hope) bolt. The bolt is in the reciever so I have to assume it's the original. It rides in the rails smoothly and locks up tight.
The bore looks good, no rust or pitting that I can see.
And thats all I have. The bolt and barreled reciever. I need everything else. The reciever is marked:
US
Remington
MODEL 03-A3
40335XX
The bolt is complete, also the rear sight is there and complete.
I need everything else, including the front sight blade and pin.
I've never tried a project like this before, and before I jump in with both feet, is this a restoration that a guy with some mechanical ability can pull off?
I'm going to post a WTB in Marketplace for parts that guys may have spare to thier needs.
Thanks.

K. Funk
April 30, 2017, 11:34
I have a stock and a handguard that may help you out. I may also have some small parts.

krf

DJ
April 30, 2017, 12:17
Karl, that's great! That will get me started. Can you PM me with what you have and what you need for the parts and I can get you a money order out.
Thank you, Sir!

1911Ron
April 30, 2017, 13:02
Is there an R on the bolt handle at the root? If there is it maybe the original bolt.

DJ
April 30, 2017, 13:32
On top of the bolt handle there is a "X" stamped. There is something stamped on the bottom side, but it is very indistinct. Doing some research, could this be a Smith Corona replacement bolt?

randy762ak
April 30, 2017, 17:14
YES the X on top is Smith corona ! Good news Bolts and other parts are easy to find !!

http://shop.ernstarmory.com/category.sc?categoryId=40

DJ
April 30, 2017, 18:44
Thanks Randy! I had forgotten about Ernst. I will be ordering some things from him.
For now I'm going to stay with the S-C bolt. I will have the headspace checked before I fire it.

Mebsuta
April 30, 2017, 19:59
I've never tried a project like this before, and before I jump in with both feet, is this a restoration that a guy with some mechanical ability can pull off?

Yes you can do it. I cobbled together two, starting with just receivers, and I am a retardo, so you can do it.

There are kits from Sarco, but they will most likely have reproduction rear sight, trigger guard and upper band. I used the repro trigger guard and upper band on one of mine and they were fine for me. If you want all GI parts, prowl around and be sure of what you're getting.

If you use an NOS stock and handguard, it will take some hand fitting. Not a big deal, just need the time and sit down and fuss with it.

One more thing: in my experience 03 vs 03A3 bolts, strikers, and bolt sleeves are slightly different. They get mixed up and don't always play well together, so if your bolt assembly is working, I would let it be for now.

DJ
May 01, 2017, 15:36
Mebsuta....thanks for the information. I'll get on Sarco's site and look at their kits. K. Funk said that he has a stock and handguard that he could part with. That will get me a good start.
Yeah, the bolt ass'y seems to fit well and rides in the rails nicely so I'm gonna stay with it for now and maybe later down the road I'll try to make it a "correct" gun.
Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm sure gonna give it a try....and maybe have some fun doing it.

ramiller
May 01, 2017, 19:24
Visit the CMP website at www.odcmp.com they have a group of shooters that will help just like the fal files.

flopshot
May 01, 2017, 20:33
Mebs, you are far from retardo. in possession of distance perhaps, far from retardo. the calculated distance to Mebsuta as 903.50 light years away from Earth. i rest my case.

DJ
May 02, 2017, 15:02
Visit the CMP website at www.odcmp.com they have a group of shooters that will help just like the fal files.

Thank you for the link, sir!