PDA

View Full Version : Another leaving a mag loaded question

badzero
April 27, 2017, 05:19
This ones different though. It's about pmags. Has anyone left one loaded without the dust cover? Does it warp the feed lips? I was in the safe last night and found a few the the dust covers had come loose on, not really sure how long ago but they still cycle by hand fine. I also found that I have more than a few gen 2's with no cover which made me wonder if it was really nessecary, I have a bunch of GI mags as well because, well the pmags are way cooler but I am old enough To still have a distrust of plastic.

TenTea
April 27, 2017, 06:38
Pmags have been tested to death.
Tons of data regarding durability.
Like any mags, they are fine, right up until the moment they fail, whether made of aluminum, steel or polymer.
Didn't the Pmag dust covers used to be a feed lip gauge and weren't they designed to take pressure off the feed lips for long term storage in any conditions? Maybe that is our clue...?
I always liked the 20 round AR Pmags with dust covers but don't currently own any.

hueyville
April 27, 2017, 07:39
Have had three magazines swell to point wouldn't fit in magwell in past decade. All were loaded Pmags, one had the dust cap others didnt. All were loaded to 25 rounds. Another issue is have some lowers purchased with non milspec magwells and several rifles with aftermarket magwell funnels. Pmag is almost impossible to put in a rifle with FAB Defense magwell or a couple of my billet lower sets. I pay $9.99 currently for Pmags if wanted. Can buy ASC stainless steel with anti-tilt follower and chrome silicone springs for $12.99 and if shop sales and buy a dozen at a time can often get them, AR Stoner or other branded stainless magazines for $12 with free shipping. Never had a stainless mag not fit a rifle or fail for any reason. For two bucks to use a magazine know will take abuse and long term storage is a no brainer to me.

Only polymer magazines buy now are Lancers. They are also the only magazines have found that will function with 5.56, 6.8 spc II, 22 Nosler, 458, 20 Ruger and more. If don't get greedy and over stuff they seem to run any oddball cartridge. The polymer body with steel feed lips don't deform if left loaded long periods, dust cap or not, and fit any magwell or oddball billet lower might pull from vault. Right at the point where a standard milspec magwell terminates the Pmags get fatter. With so many accessories and custom lowers now I like a magazine that fits anything and something about welded stainless seems like it's worth a lot more than a couple extra dollars each.

One LGS ran a big sale on Pmags in 2015 back when the Sandy Hook panic had ceased and everyone seemed to be overstocked. Was buying a few every trip in the door and putting away in packages due to price and popularity. Loaded up 12 with 25 rounds each, put five in a magazine storage box without caps, six in a mag pouch with caps and one in a rifle behind seat of truck. One of the boxed without caps, one of the pouch stored with caps bulged to point would not fit in a standard milspec or any other lower. The one in a truck rifle pulled out of lock after a few mon the and had swelled to point would not drop out with push of mag release or minor force tugging. Ran rifle dry and had two failures to feed as rounds popped out with such force bolt pushed them out of the ejection port instead of into chamber. After running all rounds it didn't lock back bolt and still took effort to remove. That was three out of a dozen from the same lot of an older generation. The newest generation could have fixed it and when see dirt cheap still buy and put up in sealed packages for future neck bearding. Except for Lancers in my 22 Nosler, use stainless for day to day magazines.

TenTea
April 27, 2017, 09:15
^^ Yes, I think the Lancer AWM's are excellent too, although I haven't owned any of them for years, to see how they stand the test of time, like the USGI 20's of the Vietnam era.

https://lancer-systems.com/awc/advanced-warfighter-magazines/

https://www.skdtac.com/v/vspfiles/photos/LNC.111-5.jpg

yovinny
April 27, 2017, 14:11
Fully loaded Pmags do not drop freely from most of my 7 AR's, only empty ones do.
I havent actually put the calipers to them and gotten a measurement on how much they swell when loaded, but it's enough that I just dont get that warm, fuzzy feeling leaving them loaded for 'storage' periods. YMMV

hueyville
April 27, 2017, 14:13
Buying mostly the 20 round Lancer L5's. FDE for 22 Nosler, Foliage Green for 6.8 spc II and black for 5.56. Now have all my 6.8 magazines that are out of fireproof storage containers wrapped with some form of Gunskins pattern that have been wrapping the 6.8 rifles in. The tiger stripe rifle gets the tiger stripe magazines (90 grain Gold Dots), the reaper buck rifles are all sighted in for 110 grain Nosler polymer tip bullets. Can mingle the two but point of aim will be off a bit. The foliage green get the 85 grain copper solids and as soon as get finished with the 1:7 twist subsonic 6.8 build will order some O.D. Green for subsonic loads. Pretty much any magazine 20 or 30 rounds with a predominately green camo pattern or green Lancer is 6.8, all "chickenflauge" 30 rounders and 20 round FDE Lancer magazines are 22 Nosler, Makes life easier for a dumb person if in a hurry.

Basically only buy stainless 30/25 round magazines and Lancer L5 20/15 round magazines for personal consumption now. Remember the 20 round Lancers wont hold 20 6.8's (12 for me) or 22 Nosler's (10 for me). Fat cases mean less round count but make up for less round with more horsepower per shot. If see super deal on Pmags or almost any brand will buy the minimum for free shipping or the "deal" and put in fireproof boxes for grins.

hueyville
April 27, 2017, 14:17
Fully loaded Pmags do not drop freely from most of my 7 AR's, only empty ones do.
I havent actually put the calipers to them and gotten a measurement on how much they swell when loaded, but it's enough that I just dont get that warm, fuzzy feeling leaving them loaded for 'storage' periods. YMMV

This post fell in during my pontificating on Lancer L5's. Glad to know I am not the only person to notice the Pmag swell. It must not just be my lot or generation. Have not been overly enthusiastic about testing others as would have to take from sealed packages to do so. Us neck bearders do better selling our hoard items when still sealed in original packages. Can't understand their popularity. Is two dollars really that big of a deal when it comes to a critical link in rifle reliability?

hagar
April 27, 2017, 14:21
I'm convinced the best AR mags were the first ones made, Viernam era 20 round mags. I have ones that probably have seen 30,000 or more rounds through them, they still run like a raped ape.

I have a few Pmags and other plastic ones, but seldom use them. They all seem to want to pop the damn top rounds out when loaded, or rounds loaded to just under max overall length hang up in the magwell.

Wonder how the Moses mag will hold up? Maybe they will be pre-warped by the time some people waiting on them get them.. :)

Albatross52
April 28, 2017, 20:03
I'm convinced the best AR mags were the first ones made, Viernam era 20 round mags. I have ones that probably have seen 30,000 or more rounds through them, they still run like a raped ape.

I have a few Pmags and other plastic ones, but seldom use them. They all seem to want to pop the damn top rounds out when loaded, or rounds loaded to just under max overall length hang up in the magwell.

Wonder how the Moses mag will hold up? Maybe they will be pre-warped by the time some people waiting on them get them.. :)

From 70 up they were okay industries stampings, they also co-developed the first 30 rnd. mags for/with Colt. Today they offer their surefeed mags in black teflon or grey park. I only use steel 5.56 mags and either ok ind. or DSG. both use magpul followers and both are 100% dependable.
In 7.62 Nato I sure do like the lancer mags 100% dependable so far. Just pricey, but you get what you pay for. The only rock solid metal .308/7.62 mag I have ever owned is KAC, but they are higher than the lancer mags and dam hard to find lately.

lew
April 29, 2017, 10:33
I've left PMags loaded for years without the dust covers with no issues. They drop free in all of my rifles, plus my those of my brother.

EPC WN
April 29, 2017, 11:26
I've got a couple that have been loaded for a couple years. No issues yet.

sharkey
April 29, 2017, 23:52
Bad Zero -
I hear you about the plastic, but could you be thinking of the old Orelite mags? They seemed to be choosy about which lower they would lock to.

badzero
April 30, 2017, 08:42
Bad Zero -
I hear you about the plastic, but could you be thinking of the old Orelite mags? They seemed to be choosy about which lower they would lock to.

I haven't ever had a problem with them, I just grew up with the cheap plastic Japanese and then the cheap Chinese plastics and have a hard time putting my faith in anything plastic. I have a bunch of them and they have been abused in from -20 to +100 with no failures other than a couple of dust covers that won't stay locked in place. Just thought I'd tap the local knowledge base and see what everyone else's experiences are.

Thanks for the answers guys.

badzero
May 01, 2017, 06:17
I just stumbled across this article, guess if they can survive the Corps they must be ok.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/12/marines-get-groundbreaking-unstoppable-new-rifle-magazine.html

yovinny
May 01, 2017, 08:27
I just stumbled across this article, guess if they can survive the Corps they must be ok.

http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2017/01/12/marines-get-groundbreaking-unstoppable-new-rifle-magazine.html

I saw that in a previous thread and thought it very strange....Still do :|

AFAIK, SF units tested them years ago,,in combat,,and then pulled them from use because secondary projectiles from the plastic cant be found in x-ray's.
At least that was the word from some 7th group guys back from the early sandbox...Plus at the same time, used Pmags all of a sudden appeared at the 'surplus' places outside Ft Campbell...
I cant imagine an issue or finding like that wouldent be published or well documented and known among those in the trauma field...
Marines have a medical board,,,no ?

bfoosh006
May 11, 2017, 17:01
I also have a built in distrust of plastic mags. I have had far to many plastic items break in a critical area, unexpectedly and at the worse moment.

I prefer Lancers overall... ( I have found that spraying DriFilm lube on the spring , follower and internals helps them run much smoother. )
The metal feed lips combined with the translucent body makes for a good mag.

With that said... I think, given the sheer volume of P-Mags sold, we will see more instances of cracked , bulged, and general problems then most others combined simply because there are so darn many out there.

Even USGI aluminum mags have had their problem suppliers. ( As well as civvie products )

Would I trust P-Mags for long term storage ? ... Not as much as I would trust quality metal mags.

Are P-mags more innovative then USGI mags ? Yup... if Magpul could fit metal feed lip inserts into the P-Mag, I'd buy dozens.