PDA

View Full Version : Ruger 10/22 sighting issue

Sniper7.62x51
April 26, 2017, 01:09
I have had an issue with a light weight 10/22 I put together. I am shooting about 6 inches high at 25 yards. I have a factory 18" barrel off from the early 90s on a new receiver (50th anniversary). I have on a NDS 26 rear sight and techsight front. My stock is a standard ruger synthetic with barrel band. The issue I have is my front sight is barely hanging on to the front sight and it is still shooting 6 inches high at 25 yards. Regardless if I use the tallest front sight post i will still be shooting high by about 4.5 inches.
Had anyone experienced any issues with nodak rear sights with techsight front sights?
Could the barrel band be the issue with the stock barrel channel?
Or maybe could it be the old style barrel on a newer receiver?

Thanks for any advice or insight

TenTea
April 26, 2017, 07:45
Barrel to receiver dimensions should be gtg, but the mix of front and rear sight is where I would focus (no pun intended).
If you could get some measurements from a TechSight rear to compare with your Nodak, that might yield an answer.

Check RFC as they may have answered your question in this thread: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500012

Sounds like the Nodak rear sits higher than the Techsight... :shades:

Sniper7.62x51
April 26, 2017, 13:50
Barrel to receiver dimensions should be gtg, but the mix of front and rear sight is where I would focus (no pun intended).
If you could get some measurements from a TechSight rear to compare with your Nodak, that might yield an answer.

Check RFC as they may have answered your question in this thread: http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=500012

Sounds like the Nodak rear sits higher than the Techsight... :shades:

Gotcha. Ya I called both manufactures and they said it would be fine. I also found 2 people online that said it would work bases on experience but that's it. Man sometimes finding this information is horrible but atleast learning from experience counts for something

TenTea
April 26, 2017, 13:58
Gotcha. Ya I called both manufactures and they said it would be fine. I also found 2 people online that said it would work bases on experience but that's it. Man sometimes finding this information is horrible but atleast learning from experience counts for something

There have been 2 or 3 versions of the 10/22 Tech Sights too, which might be another fly in the ointment.

Good luck getting it sorted out.

Timber Wolf
April 26, 2017, 14:23
I have not seen it yet but a buddy is putting one of these: https://williamsgunsight.com/product/williams-fp-gr/ on a 10/22. It mounts on a scope base.

Sagerider
April 26, 2017, 20:37
Try another barrel.
I was having problems with my box stock 10-22 and after changing the barrel with a take off from my buddies 10-22 no more problem. The original barrel was shooting right or left, can't remember which, and not very consistent as in large groups. The replacement barrel is shooting very well and I am happy. :)
Call it a fluke but that original barrel sucked.