View Full Version : Kimber Hunter 308win

April 25, 2017, 04:38
hi guys

I'm considering purchasing an older Kimber 'Hunter' blued with a dark blue/olive/green (hard to tell with the smartphone pics) synthetic stock in 308win. The gentleman is saying it's done minimal shooting over 10 years i.e. '2 trips per year..'

does anyone have any experience with these rifles. I'm looking for a lighter rifle than my trusty Browning A-bolt to take deer stalking. serial number HK 340877. I might be able to get it for little more than $400. Should I consider this rifle or save my pennies for a newer light weight Kimber? thank you

April 25, 2017, 08:28
Kimber M96 ?
Kimber M98 ?
Kimber M82 ?

The 96 was built on surp M96 Swedish Mausers, all in 6.5X55 Mauser as far as I can tell. Excellent rifle, but somewhat limited in handling modern pressures.

The 98 was built on the better milsurp 98 Mauser action, VZ24's I believe, in various calibers with a cheapo Ram Line plastic stock.

The M82 is the latest fancy version. I have no experience with these as they were always a bit too pricey for us poor folks.
They sure do look good, but a lot of shooters have had accuracy and customer service problems with Kimber on these. Best do your homework.

The M96 and M98 were bargain rifles with bad stocks and usually poor triggers.

$400 for a M96 or M98 seems like a lot to me. I would not be happy with a plastic stock and probably the trigger as well and the cost to upgrade would be better spent on on a rifle of known quality.

Just my thinking on it anyways.

April 25, 2017, 18:14
thank you Mainer. I thought about it: why am I wasting my time when I'm already shooting cracking groups with all ammo out of my A bolt? my A bolt isn't all that heavy anyway. the gain isn't worth it on this occasion. thank you

April 26, 2017, 15:36
Kimber sure did convert some swede 96's to 308..Sold a couple to customers back early 90's.
They always said they were plenty strong and the only pre-98 that would be, plus I've never heard of any issues, but I personally feel safer sticking with a model 98 for any 'modern' pressure cartridge.

April 26, 2017, 18:03
"Kimber sure did convert some swede 96's to 308..Sold a couple to customers back early 90's."

Interestin', never happened to come across one and I usually examine every Mauser I see in the gun rack. The 96 would be the best of the Model 95 patterns, but like you say, make mine a 98 please.

The Swede's made some changes in the Bolt of the 95 Mauser, the "cocking piece" for one, and I seem to remember reading they improved the gas handling capabilities somewhat. Not sure about that as my "Rememberer" doesn't function as well as I remember it remembering. :sad:

The Swede is a damn fine Mauser rifle for sure and I am fond of my CZ 550FS in 6.5X55.

April 26, 2017, 21:01
I like the 6.5x55 swede myself,,got a few in the rack.
All are military mausers at this point, stock and sporters, but i went rounds with a 700 classic too. The 100yo mausers will shoot an inch with prefered ammo,,what more could i want..and they dont hurt as much when they fall down...:|

April 29, 2017, 17:57
Did they leave the larger bolt face on the Swedes?

April 29, 2017, 20:13
Another issue that the converted 96 and 98 Mauser's had was proprietary scope mounts that are close to unobtanium now. The way they milled/ground the top of the receiver and hole placement did not appear to follow any set mount pattern available at the time.

April 30, 2017, 17:42
Did they leave the larger bolt face on the Swedes?

Yes...it not that much bigger,,,..008" iirc