PDA

View Full Version : Black Hole weapon/ SAA rifle barrel?

grumpy1
April 23, 2017, 09:44
Well last night I must have done something right, I was looking at a local internet classified gun sale board for an inexpensive AR15 barrel. I found one that was listed as "new" for a reasonable price. So I thought what the heck I'll give it a chance seeing the barrel I've been looking at hasn't been in stock for over 5 months.

The barrel is an Surplus Arms & Ammo 16 inch, mid length 1/8 twist rate with a 5.56 chamber. In digging through the internet it looks like both Black hole and SAA barrels are the same just a different name slapped on them.

They seem to have good reviews but was wondering if any one on here has used them and if so how did it preform?

By the way, I bought a complete lower with stock, stripped upper, and the barrel for a killer deal. And later this week I'm picking up 3 more stripped lowers from him. The lowers are consecutive numbers made by LAR manufacturing, that's the part that blows me away. I was hoping to find some more LAR lowers but seeing they no longer are in business I didn't have high hopes of finding any more lowers.

MilsurpMonkey
April 24, 2017, 18:28
The barrels that Black Hole makes for SAA are usually marked with the Black Hole Weaponry logo. And as far as I know, BHW only does poly rifled barrels.

grumpy1
April 25, 2017, 22:23
The barrels that Black Hole makes for SAA are usually marked with the Black Hole Weaponry logo. And as far as I know, BHW only does poly rifled barrels.

Yeah, that's what I've dug up about the barrel. It's kind of odd, in that it only has 3 'groves' if you can call them that.

Elkaholic
April 26, 2017, 00:19
I personally know 3 people that tried black hole barrels. This was about 5 years ago. They SUCKED. Like 5 or 6 moa at 100 yards.

I hope they've gotten better and it works out for you :beer:

jhend170
April 26, 2017, 10:27
I personally know 3 people that tried black hole barrels. This was about 5 years ago. They SUCKED. Like 5 or 6 moa at 100 yards.

They must have beaten a tree with them first. Both of my BHWs are extremely accurate and easy to clean. In my 1:8 5.56 (It's a Rainier, made for them by BHW) I put a 69gr SMK in front of a charge of Varget and will print 3/4" groups at 100yds until you're bored with it, and I've had it about 5 years btw. My 10" 300BO I've never done actual accuracy testing on (it wears a 3moa dot sight sooooo kind of pointless) but the pigs it has taken were all nice clean kills exactly at POA.

I just love poly rifling. Cleans easily, distorts the projo less, wears slower, what's not to love?

MilsurpMonkey
April 27, 2017, 00:19

I think I've got an old 16ga that can do better than that, iffin ya tighten the piss outta the polychoke :rofl:

grumpy1
April 29, 2017, 22:16
They must have beaten a tree with them first. Both of my BHWs are extremely accurate and easy to clean. In my 1:8 5.56 (It's a Rainier, made for them by BHW) I put a 69gr SMK in front of a charge of Varget and will print 3/4" groups at 100yds until you're bored with it, and I've had it about 5 years btw. My 10" 300BO I've never done actual accuracy testing on (it wears a 3moa dot sight sooooo kind of pointless) but the pigs it has taken were all nice clean kills exactly at POA.

I just love poly rifling. Cleans easily, distorts the projo less, wears slower, what's not to love?

Well, I hope the one I got is as good as the one you have.

hueyville
April 29, 2017, 22:49
Have a three grove 20" polygonal rifled ARP 6.8 barrel. Shoots 200 fps faster than a traditional rifled 16" barrel and is a tack driver. But ARP stuff is expensive and never had any that sucked. Never owned a Black Hole anything and Surplus Arms & Ammo sounds like bargain minded company just from name. Never owned any of their product either. That said have three, four and five groove poly barrels that shoot very well.

MilsurpMonkey
May 01, 2017, 19:43
Have a three grove 20" polygonal rifled ARP 6.8 barrel. Shoots 200 fps faster than a traditional rifled 16" barrel and is a tack driver. But ARP stuff is expensive and never had any that sucked. Never owned a Black Hole anything and Surplus Arms & Ammo sounds like bargain minded company just from name. Never owned any of their product either. That said have three, four and five groove poly barrels that shoot very well.

Surplus Arms and Ammo is a local company to me. Used to be just that, a surplus store in Ponders with a mini tank in the parking lot. The handled a lot of LE stuff and whatnot, when surplus stuff started drying out they got into the AR business with a little company also in Tacoma called Aero Precision, who started making SAA receivers. All of their stuff is sourced from good quality manufacturers, but kept to the value end of pricing. They used to compete directly with Rainier Arms who was using another local machine shop to do up house branded lowers, in their case Mega Machine (another local shop here) until Rainier and Mega decided to go after the higher range value customers. I'd buy just about anything from either company (house branded stuff) with confidence. Might not be BCM or DD money, but the quality usually doesn't fall short.

grumpy1
May 03, 2017, 23:29
Surplus Arms and Ammo is a local company to me. Used to be just that, a surplus store in Ponders with a mini tank in the parking lot. The handled a lot of LE stuff and whatnot, when surplus stuff started drying out they got into the AR business with a little company also in Tacoma called Aero Precision, who started making SAA receivers. All of their stuff is sourced from good quality manufacturers, but kept to the value end of pricing. They used to compete directly with Rainier Arms who was using another local machine shop to do up house branded lowers, in their case Mega Machine (another local shop here) until Rainier and Mega decided to go after the higher range value customers. I'd buy just about anything from either company (house branded stuff) with confidence. Might not be BCM or DD money, but the quality usually doesn't fall short.

That's some great info there... just saw a guy posting on a local classified ad board that has a similar barrel (18 vs 16) that said his was shooting 3/4 MOA. I think for my budget build AR, it should do just fine.