PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to abrasive blast a kit?

Scott S
June 12, 2002, 13:06
Given you have all the kinks worked out of your system, how long does it take to blast your average parts kit?

normbal
June 12, 2002, 13:24
Oh! Oh! I know this one...

Did this about two weeks ago with a TAPCO select G1 kit. Including time to chop off the old buttstock, disassemble the parts I hadn't known were disassembleable [sic] once I got to the shop, about three hours to blast and reparkerize. I'd never done this before but got a ten second block of instruction on blasting and a five second block on parkerizing.

YMMV.

I just tore down another kit, total time under two hours to remove receiver stub, and tear down to bits and pieces (everything except the gas block). Time to blast and park should be around two hours this time.

Am waiting for an IMBEL kit now...

Kilowatter
June 12, 2002, 13:44
It depends on the type of abrasive you use and the original finish on the parts. i.e park or paint. I use 120 grit aluminum oxide and it takes between 1/2 and one hour depending on finish type. I blast everything including screw heads and pin ends. Everything that is, that can be blasted that has the original finish applied on it.

m1shooter
June 12, 2002, 16:48
Shoot.
I thought the 3 hrs was good. My last kit from walking in the door. to walking out with a finished ready to shoot weapon was 7 hrs. :confused:

Derby FALs
June 12, 2002, 17:20
Originally posted by m1shooter
Shoot.
I thought the 3 hrs was good. My last kit from walking in the door. to walking out with a finished ready to shoot weapon was 7 hrs. :confused:
It would be faster with some real ceramic nozzles. The homemade ones don't work as well. Still on backorder with Harbor Freight.

762minigun
June 12, 2002, 19:46
you can blast a whole kit in under 2min with a direct pressure unit and glass bead or 1min with aluminum oxide and direct pressure cabinet used to work in blast shop

m1shooter
June 12, 2002, 21:13
Must be some nice expensive cabinet to be that fast.

762minigun
June 12, 2002, 21:19
yes it is but its not mine i only worked for the owner blasted a dummy .50 m-2 in under 5 minutes complete direct pressure is the mots siphon feed systems are very very slow

Blood of Tyrants
June 12, 2002, 22:16
Actually, disassembly and degreasing will take longer than the actual blasting and parking.

Derby Fals, I got a ceramic tip sandblast nozzle from Walmart a couple of years ago.