PDA

View Full Version : Question Gent's, AR 10 Lower be had for reasonable with FAL mag capable??

ALL FAL
April 17, 2017, 16:53
I am going to put an AR 10 together or buy the LAR8, what do you AR guys recommend? Thanks.:smile:

Sagerider
April 17, 2017, 17:11
I am a fan of Rock River Arms and talked with them some time ago about the compatibility with FAL magazines and was told it was hit and miss whether they work or not. They are another maker that uses proprietary pieces and parts so this is a down side. I have a S&W M&P 10 that shares very little with any other maker. They will not even sell you spare parts but require you to return the rifle to them for any replacements or repairs.
Rock River may have tweeked the magazine issue so they work better now. My suggestion would be for you to call them and get it straight from the horses mouth. The ability for the Rock River lower compatibility with other maker uppers I have no idea, again best to ask them.

ftierson
April 17, 2017, 18:32
I am a fan of Rock River Arms and talked with them some time ago about the compatibility with FAL magazines and was told it was hit and miss whether they work or not. They are another maker that uses proprietary pieces and parts so this is a down side. I have a S&W M&P 10 that shares very little with any other maker. They will not even sell you spare parts but require you to return the rifle to them for any replacements or repairs.
Rock River may have tweeked the magazine issue so they work better now. My suggestion would be for you to call them and get it straight from the horses mouth. The ability for the Rock River lower compatibility with other maker uppers I have no idea, again best to ask them.

The RRA LAR-8 lowers will NOT work with uppers from others. The use of FAL mags requires the receiver to be about 5/8 in longer (for the mag latch/bolt release mechanisms).

I have a couple of LAR-8s that I have been very happy with and have only used military mags with them (Israeli and Steyr). Then again, the mags are like new...

Forrest

CG&L
April 17, 2017, 18:44
If you're looking strictly at cost with some compatibility, the DPMS is probably the route to go. The last I saw they were round $850. This is not including tax, FFL or shipping.
A lot of other 308 ARs are re-branded DPMS rifles

Building your own isn't going to be much more than buying a DPMS

If you're serious about building your own, Aero Precision is good route to go. As you already know, parts can be problematic with a 308 AR. You can get just about everything from Areo.

I've been looking at the 308 AR market for my custom shop. If you or anyone else would like to PM me about it, I'll share what info I have.

Forgot to add
Aero is compatible with DPMS

ALL FAL
April 17, 2017, 19:48
CG&L, it seems to me that there IS a place for the Mid range of Cost v-s Quality
AR-10, were my eyes better I would spend a Mad amount of $$ on one, just wanted one in the safe to test.

What little time I have spent on arf.com, it was almost scary the amount of AR10 parts floating around for sale, which told me that there was Not a Standard Stoner out there.

I'll check out everything you guys put out and Thanks again.

Illurian00
April 17, 2017, 20:03
Hey Forrest (I've got to ask ),

Have you had the opportunity to try your RockRivers' w/ a MosesMag ,,,? (:whistling:)

ALL FAL
April 17, 2017, 20:25

Have you had the opportunity to try your RockRivers' w/ a MosesMag ,,,? (:whistling:)

Yeah Forest ??? :biggrin:

ftierson
April 17, 2017, 20:52

No...

But, then again, I live in Colorado and the Moses mags have not been available that long... :)

From what Johnny originally said, the original mags would work in an LAR-8 if a little bit of sanding was done to the sides of his mag. I'm assuming that the SCAR mag would fit without this, but we all know what assume starts with...

Then again, again, standard FAL mags work fine for me and, especially given recent events, Moses mags would be off the table anyway...

Forrest

ALL FAL
April 18, 2017, 00:17
Now the Hunt begins. :)

hueyville
April 18, 2017, 06:51
AR 10 mags are cheap. Why make the entire thing double complicated? If magazine cost is an issue then buy a CETME or try to make a lower work with HK mags. Still dirt cheap but soon as surplus runs out they will quadruple. I was buying metric FAL mags for $4.99 to $5.99 each a year ago. Now it's $15 and up. Glad I put over 100 back before the cheap surplus dried up. Can buy AR 10 mags cheaper than FAL mags now. If doing an AR 10, choose a vendor and stick with them. Aero or Palmetto and buy all parts from same one and it will work out. Skip around buying from multiple sources and will have a nightmare. I can take a Palmetto lower and buy two or three uppers to match best fit. Lap upper, get all square, and assemble a fine rifle by waiting for sales. All my barrels come from other sources. Now that White Oak doesn't offer AR 10 parts (there is a big flag waving boys) Lothar Walther or Kreiger for barrels and make sure to match your Aero or Palmetto kits and square front of receiver. It's easy peas as an AR 15 otherwise. Just know you can't mix parts and will be fine. No way I would complicate the issue any more unless your a good machinist and welder to make parts fit.

TenTea
April 18, 2017, 08:19
aside:

There are AR10A lowers (PMags) in stock at ArmaLite right now.

There are a few ArmaLite AR10B lowers on Gunbroker right now.

ftierson
April 18, 2017, 13:28
The RRA LAR-8 lowers will NOT work with uppers from others. The use of FAL mags requires the receiver to be about 5/8 in longer (for the mag latch/bolt release mechanisms).

I have a couple of LAR-8s that I have been very happy with and have only used military mags with them (Israeli and Steyr). Then again, the mags are like new...

Forrest

By the way, this is not quite true. The upper and lower of the old Bushmaster BAR-10 should be compatible with the LAR-8 (since the BAR-10 was a design that Bushmaster originally 'bought' from RRA).

When Bushmaster ran into problems with the BAR-10, RRA 'bought' the design back and. after redesigning some of the internals to overcome the original problems, advertised the gun as the LAR-10.

Then, Armalite sued RRA for copyright infringement (or trademark or something) over the 'AR-10' in LAR-10 and, after settling that lawsuit, RRA finally offered the rifle as the LAR-8.

My point is only that original Bushmaster BAR-10 uppers and lowers should fit the LAR-8, but nothing else (that I know of) will...

Then again, there could be some BAR-10/LAR-8 incompatibilities that I'm unaware of too... :)

Forrest

AZ Deuce
April 22, 2017, 10:04
I've owned 2 RRA LAR-8s, I still have one, my first one was a 20" Standard Operator that is my current Sniper/DMR rifle, it's heavy but shoots one ragged hole groups with good ammo.Using Metric FAL mags made reliability problamatic. Using Inch SLR mags made her run 100%. I since went with the Thermold FAL mags and they run 100% too. I love this rifle it's a killing machine.

I also had a 16" LAR-8 had the same mag feed issues, and they were fixed the same way mentioned above. But for a 16" 308 AR it was a pig weight wise, so I sold it off, and bought a Armalight AR10 Defender, with the light weight 16" barrel. Removed the collapsible butt stock and replaced it with a standard one off of a M16A1, put a Magpul ROE (?) front handguard on it, as I figured there was no need for a free float handguard as this was to be used as a battle rifle, not in a sniper/DMR role. I run it with a red dot on a riser, and consider it to be my first line of defense for anything within me and 300 yards.

If I need more range, I could put a scope on her, but then she becomes heavier and more of a DMR instead of a battle rifle, so she stays as is I have the LAR-8 308 DMR far far away stuff, and the AR10 for close and personal confrontations.

The RRA may or may not run well with certain Metric mags, but has always ran well with Inch mags, or those Thermolds made for the FAL. I've never tried a Moses mag in one, so can't attest either way about those. If your looking for a long range extremely accurate rifle the LAR-8 w/20" barrel is hard to beat, but if you're looking for a basic combat rifle, then I'd recomend the much lighter Armalite AR10 Defender, as so far with P-mags, she has run 100% right out of the box.