PDA

View Full Version : Traded a book for a Garand

Spook76
April 13, 2017, 16:38
Howdy,

I posted about this a couple days ago over on the AKFiles side of the curtain, but figured I'd get more feedback on it, here. In my original post (pasted, below), I mentioned having checked the TE at a 1, but can't re-find my gauge to double-double check it. The reason I say that is part of me still can't believe how nice this one seems, and I want to be certain just what's what with it all (as opposed to having been a dork, and misread it while drooling). ;)

Anyway, I'd appreciate it if those of you with greater Garand edumacation could give me an idea on anything particularly of note on this example, rough guesstimate of current market value, etc. I'm not actively planning to sell/trade this one, but it's always nice to know roughly what things are worth. Oh, in the below, note that I typed "looks" unissued; I have no way of guessing that's actually the case, so am just describing overall condition. Thanks!

My post from the other 'Files:
Yes, it was a (spare, to me) signed 1st edition of Elmer Keith's Sixguns, but I still think I made out in the deal. ;) This rifle looks like it was unissued, and only shot a couple hundred rounds/handled a wee bit once in civilian hands over the decades. The stacking swivel (not currently installed), an original sling, the non-original little pouch on the stock, and a crapload of enbloc clips were included with the rifle. No (re-)import stamp, either, which I appreciate. Oh, and while I've only "bullet tested" the muzzle, so far, I gauged the TE (using a proper tool)...It's a 1.

If anyone sees something particularly interesting about it, please let me know. I know a fair bit about these, but am not an expert. Thanks!

Some other info:
No bolt face wear to suggest lots of rounds fired, barrel date appears close enough to receiver serial era it's plausible it's original, stock looks like a great GI but missing cartouches (somebody swap out what must have been the original even nicer one?) overall handling wear (what there is of it) is even with no obvious refinishing, I've found no pitting, all parts/springs look and feel as if they've seen very little use, and all parts I've found marked are SA except (oddly, to me) the IHC rear sight.

Thanks, again!

tdb59
April 13, 2017, 17:19
The original stock markings would only be the Acceptance Stamp, and 'P" in circle on the inside sweep of the wrist.

http://i1296.photobucket.com/albums/ag10/n8huckins/Correct%20HRA/photo3_zps1a1b1402.jpg

The rifle would retail for $1,000- $1,250 presently.

SPEEDGUNNER
April 13, 2017, 17:34
This would be a deal if you traded Clawson's book on the 1911 for it! Nice looking Garand.

ByronF
April 13, 2017, 18:40
I have some books from kollige that I'd sign for you. A pristine Garand seems a fair trade. My FFL accepts delivery from non-ffl. Art of the Deal. Done. Terrific deal. It's gonna be beutiful, everyone's gonna love it. PM me tracking numbers. Upon receipt, and if rifle is in excelent condition, I'll mail out some shit about Fourier transforms. If you can make your life better with that book I'll send nore shit for shipping and handling fees, which will be pure pirac

Edited to clarify that this seems to be a VERY nice garand, traded for a rare piece of book. Didnt mean to disparage the deal or the rifle. Just being my snarky self. I dont have rare books or rifles, and appreciate both. My books are worth maybe a Lorcin or Jennings that dont jam much, like twice a mag at most. Enviable material passed between traders, no insult intended.

denny
April 14, 2017, 00:07
I've seen the Clawson book anywhere from $900.00 to $2200.00
$1875.00 to $2500.00 on E bay and Amazon.
Just checked.
Not bad for a book that started life for $83.00 .
Denny

Spook76
April 14, 2017, 00:49
This would be a deal if you traded Clawson's book on the 1911 for it! Nice looking Garand.

Thanks! I only traded the signed 1st edition of Sixguns, as I have another signed copy and one of his '61(?) edition of it (that one includes more info, especially on the .44 Mag, as I recall). In any case, I don't mind dumb-lucking into this deal. As to Clawson's book, as I note below, perhaps I should re-find my old copy of that, too. :rofl:

I have some books from kollige that I'd sign for you. A pristine Garand seems a fair trade. My FFL accepts delivery from non-ffl. Art of the Deal. Done. Terrific deal. It's gonna be beutiful, everyone's gonna love it. PM me tracking numbers. Upon receipt, and if rifle is in excelent condition, I'll mail out some shit about Fourier transforms. If you can make your life better with that book I'll send nore shit for shipping and handling fees, which will be pure pirac

Edited to clarify that this seems to be a VERY nice garand, traded for a rare piece of book. Didnt mean to disparage the deal or the rifle. Just being my snarky self. I dont have rare books or rifles, and appreciate both. My books are worth maybe a Lorcin or Jennings that dont jam much, like twice a mag at most. Enviable material passed between traders, no insult intended.

Saw your edit, and no problem...I figured you were just poking a bit. If we can't be a little jokingly spiky with each other, this forum wouldn't know how to act...lol Thanks for the kind words!

I've seen the Clawson book anywhere from $900.00 to $2200.00
$1875.00 to $2500.00 on E bay and Amazon.
Just checked.
Not bad for a book that started life for $83.00 .
Denny

Interesting...I have a copy of that around here somewhere, too. As I mentioned above, I only traded the signed Sixguns due to having a couple other copies of it. In this case, the seller didn't really care for the Garand/didn't care it's a nice one, but wanted the Keith book, so all were happy in the end.

Anybody else with thoughts, advice, things to check on the rifle? What about how to keep it from mutiplying? I've previously only ever had one Garand at a time, and I'm concerned they'll pick up the breeding habit from our FALs. :tongue:

W.E.G.
April 14, 2017, 12:41
I own two Garands.

I got the second one, because I find that one rifle gets amazingly hot if fired even four clips back-to-back. Accuracy opens up, and zeroes change when the gun gets that hot. Heat-mirage off the barrel spoils sight picture for any kind of fine work.

Having a second rifle at the ready allows the practice session to proceed.

Hebrew Battle Rifle
April 14, 2017, 12:43
it. In this case, the seller didn't really care for the Garand/didn't care it's a nice one,

You had better keep a sharp eye on that dude. He ain't right in the head.

VALMET
April 14, 2017, 18:43

1st book I thought of when I saw this thread.

denny
April 14, 2017, 21:54
Clawson's book isn't the only one that has gone nuts , a lot of the gun books too.
( Of course it doesn't help that Clawson had the print plates destroyed . )
If it goes out of print it goes crazy.
Look at the FN 49 book.
Denny

MilsurpMonkey
April 16, 2017, 21:40
Current lower stock looks to me to be an ROK replacement. Just from the general shape and how proud it is of the trigger housing, right side, and rear of receiver. It would also explain the lack of markings.

raexcct2
April 17, 2017, 21:26
Clawson's book isn't the only one that has gone nuts , a lot of the gun books too.
( Of course it doesn't help that Clawson had the print plates destroyed . )
If it goes out of print it goes crazy.
Look at the FN 49 book.
Denny

Hell, I would love to trade my signed, as new FN 49 book for a rifle or receiver. Hint, hint. LMT DSA metric or Aussie L1A1 receiver. I'll even settle for an Imbel inch magazine receiver. :fal::fal:

madmax_fal
April 18, 2017, 09:14
Ahh, to have a time machine...

TenTea
April 18, 2017, 12:58
A guy at the next table over from me, at last weekend's gunshow, had a Clawson on the table.
I said, "aren't those going for like $250 nowadays?"
He just laughed at me and said he wasn't sure whether $1000 would get it from him!

Spook76
April 19, 2017, 02:55
Ahh, to have a time machine...

Heh...How many times have I thought the same. :D