PDA

View Full Version : T91 questions

Bertellione
April 12, 2017, 22:14
I understand the T91 is not an AR but it does use the same lower that's why I'm interested in getting the upper from Wolf. The uppers they are selling now are not correct as far as the front sight base goes, but I called Wolf yesterday and they said the actual issue front sight base will be available in a couple of months. So now I'm looking for clear images of an issued T91 to have an 80% reciever engraved. I was wondering if anyone here might have an image of the fire control side of the lower reciever.

Bertellione
April 13, 2017, 01:34
Help me out here the uppers they have now ??

Are you saying they are selling a complete 91 upper without the correct FSB or front sight ?

Hell I might as well call em and see what they are saying this year on the subject

The uppers they are selling now do not come with the military issue front sight base. The military issue fsb has a short rail and bayonet lug at the bottom and the front sight tower and base is all one piece. The issue fsb also has a sling attachment on the left side and a different shaped piston release lever.

The guy I spoke to from Wolf said they will have the correct fsb in stock in a couple of months. I hope they build uppers with them so I don't have to buy the correct one sepperate because they are pinned like an M16.

hueyville
April 13, 2017, 05:05
Wolf shows it out of stock as does every single vendor that has it listed. Found a couple reviews and a lot of discussion group chatter but other than some demo units for gun bloggers not one of these out in the wild yet. Wonder if there are import issues, manufacturing or legal? Announcement was made well over a year ago but not made to market yet. That seems odd, like something is amiss. About only hard "for sure" read is will have a U.S. made barrel. With as many issues as some others have building a piston upper that runs out of the box imagine Wolf has more issues than a proper front sight assembly. Whenever a manufacturer claims a product is ready for market, sends for reviews in makes me wonder. Like the Fostech Echo binary trigger they have been taking deposits to hold your place for over a year and nobody I know has received one yet, just letters saying their getting closer to shipping.

rbgonoles
April 13, 2017, 06:54
AIM and Atlantic each had some in stock at the end of March. Sold out right away. Serveral people on Ar15dotcom have posted pictures at the end of the thread.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_118/704298_New-Wolf-piston-upper-received-for-testing.html

Bertellione
April 13, 2017, 09:58
Wolf shows it out of stock as does every single vendor that has it listed. Found a couple reviews and a lot of discussion group chatter but other than some demo units for gun bloggers not one of these out in the wild yet. Wonder if there are import issues, manufacturing or legal? Announcement was made well over a year ago but not made to market yet. That seems odd, like something is amiss. About only hard "for sure" read is will have a U.S. made barrel. With as many issues as some others have building a piston upper that runs out of the box imagine Wolf has more issues than a proper front sight assembly. Whenever a manufacturer claims a product is ready for market, sends for reviews in makes me wonder. Like the Fostech Echo binary trigger they have been taking deposits to hold your place for over a year and nobody I know has received one yet, just letters saying their getting closer to shipping.

As stated above the guy at Wolf told me there are only two distributers right at the moment and both are out of stock. As for the barrel goes from everything I have read is that it is a Taiwanese barrel blank that gets turned down here in the States.

Wacky D
April 13, 2017, 16:41
Also reports are that correct T-91 Rear sights and furniture will be available in the states soon.

HankC
April 14, 2017, 17:49
https://zh.wikipedia.org/zh-tw/T91%E6%88%B0%E9%AC%A5%E6%AD%A5%E6%A7%8D
Has pictures. Says only 1000 exported to US in the first year. with US barrels, different front sight block and no bayonet lug.

Bertellione
April 14, 2017, 17:57
Thanks Hank for the link but I just recieved photos from an ex soldier in Taiwan on the Akforums who sent me very nice photos of his issued rifle and all of the correct markings. Now I have to decide on an engraver to send the 80% reciever to.

hueyville
April 15, 2017, 11:11
How much does an engraver charge to do this type work? Am a holding fixture away from doing in house and a half days labor from machining the holding fixture with an index point for my CNC machine. Know a local guy that puts Trust name and serial number on Form 1 items for a flat $70 bucks. Anyone know if a FFL is required to engrave a firearm? Assume it would be since refinishing does but uncompleted 80% lowers should just be a piece of scrap metal.

Bertellione
April 15, 2017, 16:32
How much does an engraver charge to do this type work? Am a holding fixture away from doing in house and a half days labor from machining the holding fixture with an index point for my CNC machine. Know a local guy that puts Trust name and serial number on Form 1 items for a flat $70 bucks. Anyone know if a FFL is required to engrave a firearm? Assume it would be since refinishing does but uncompleted 80% lowers should just be a piece of scrap metal.

I'm talking with a guy now to see what he will charge me. I'm looking around to find someone confident enough to do it correctly. If you are interested I can send you the photos that I have to look at and give me your opinion. As long as it's an 80% you do not need a FFL to do the engraving. The guy I'm talking with at the moment only does 80% because he doesn't have an FFL.

hueyville
April 15, 2017, 17:59
Just had surgery number five on year and scheduled again in two weeks. Have over a months work collecting on desk and more coming in daily. Told client who call about a big project that would be a month before able to begin shop work and said to get his slot locked in on calander. Seems like lots of people have tried the Fast/Tommorow/ model and sign business picking up along with some telecom, electrical and security fixture work. My steel fabricator worked today and said if In-Laws let them go early enough would come in tomorrow and finish job started.

Called three temp services last week trying to get some staff back in the pipeline but two called back to say don't have general laborers. Tired of hiring, firing, handling I-9's, W4's, W2's, DOL 2's, DOL 4's, Social Security & Workman's Comp deductibles, Workman's Comp Insurance, 940's, personal files, track time cards (like a BATFE 4473 employer required to keep for lifetime of business), State & Federal witholding, GA New Hire Report (so they can garnish wages for alimony & child support), Health Care Reporting (who opts in or out of company insurance), Employee Rights Compliance Posters and more. Just been working some of my legacy guys around part time. Don't feel like starting into the hiring game again as it sucks to do two days of paperwork for somebody who quits second day. Not counting time to do paperwork have $5 per hour above their salary to satisfy Unemployment, Disability and Workman's Comp. Know why so many big corporations have gone to staffing companies to supply all their labor except upper tier of executives. Want to call a service and say need painter, metal fabricator, laborer and pay them end of month for supplying work force and handling all their paperwork down to weekly paychecks.

If didn't like working would shut the place down but would loose my playground in process as has $3,000 per month in overhead on paid for facility and equipment. Looking for more ways can expand into other markets where majority of work is done by machines beyond programming them. For ArtCam Pro there are a lot of freelance programmers that will render your artwork into ready to run G-code for very reasonable fees if get behind. All have to do is run a simulation on fIle for collisions and such then push the run button. It's the freaking government that has slowly taken the fun out of running a business. If add one more employee my business license will jump $500 per year. If works for staffing firm is not my employee. Try doing thepre trip inspections on each truck before leaves in morning and written post trip inspection report on every truck (most businesses don't till DOT fines them first time), written Fall Protection Plan everytime a worker gets more than six feet off the ground, keep current MSDS sheets for every item in inventory down to masking tape and toilet cleaner, tripping hazard mitigation when drop cords and air hoses are in use, keeping conspicuousity vests and helmets on employees when hot and convince them to always put cones out. Miss one MSDS Sheet is a $47,500 dollar fine over a can of spray paint in blue instead of black or carburetor cleaner instead of brake cleaner. Opps, there is a sheet of polystyrene in polycarbonate rack missed when OSHA inspection hits. Fire Marshal lands in building and Fire Suppression company is late certifying fire extinguishers for 2017, an exit is blocked by employee who wasn't thinking or metal guy forgot to chain and lock oxygen bottle to wall.

Want to restructure so run a totally different product that is not dependent on lots of employee labor. Looked at laser engravers and even three and four axis laser tables several times. If could keep my CNC router, a laser and a couple of large format printers running constantly one man helping load machinery and push start button could totally restructure business. Just need to do it in a manner that doesn't increase government paperwork if at all possible. Also smaller the parts get the better as might can load more without help. Plan to work till am dead but it might be the government's paperwork that kills me. Right now working on an ad valorem tax record discrepancy thats Counties mistake, not mine and Federal Tax matter where a computer did an audit and says we owe another $4,500 from 2015 and both CPA and tax attorney say it's wrong and having to spend time spinning my meter explaining to County and Feds why their computers are wrong. Harder a man tries to run a business right with all dot gov departments the more of them get out of whack and get you crossed up chasing computer errors where someone mistyped a number or moved a decimal point entering your data into their system.

Mold making for acrylic and plastics market has been good to me. Same software but smaller machines to do stuff like engraving. If able to get a fair price and enough work might could be a good service to offer and simplify the human resources side of my business. Went into office today to discover while out for surgery yesterday all my exterior video cameras busted and several truck loads of metal gone. Were so bold they stripped the insulation off all the copper on site before stealing. Apparently something spooked them as had a pile of aluminum (including lots of radio antennas), pile of electric motors, water hoses and more all separated by materials and carried to back corner of lot where fence was clipped. Service trucks and dry storage area is attractive to thieves. Third time they got my cameras with best view being a Hispanic male in black hoodie. Now know why hoodie are so popular. Pull over head till covers eyes and surveillance cameras don't get jack but busted. All going in bullet resistant enclosures next week which will burn two days of unpaid labor and materials.

ftierson
April 15, 2017, 19:00
For what it's worth...

http://http://ammunitionstore.com/products/wolf-a1-ar-15-upper-receiver-t91-gas-piston.html (http://ammunitionstore.com/products/wolf-a1-ar-15-upper-receiver-t91-gas-piston.html)

Forrest

Bertellione
April 15, 2017, 19:54
For what it's worth...

http://http://ammunitionstore.com/products/wolf-a1-ar-15-upper-receiver-t91-gas-piston.html (http://ammunitionstore.com/products/wolf-a1-ar-15-upper-receiver-t91-gas-piston.html)

Forrest

I'm going to wait a couple months to order mine because I think they will offer them with the correct fsb when they get them in. Since its pinned like an ar15 they probably have to be drilled but I think I'll call Wolf again Monday and check if that's the case.

Bertellione
April 15, 2017, 20:51
Can anyone recommend someone to engrave an 80%. I've built a few clones but never bothered to have them engraved. The Taiwanese writing needs to be correct and it is pretty detailed with lines very close together. I would post photos but never figured out how to do it here.

sharkey
April 15, 2017, 21:38
Look around for a 'trophy' shop or a trophy engraver. They need to be able to fit all kinds of remembrance phrases into small spaces as well as Greek, Roman and Cyrillic style writing. There is a trophy shop up my way that has done our 80% lowers in the past. As long as you can do the artwork, they should be able to put it on there.

hueyville
April 16, 2017, 03:10
Why I asked what people charge for this work. My CAD software works in almost any modern language. Know it can be switched to Chinese, Japanese, most European languages and even English. Wikipedia says standard Mandarin is spoken in Taiwan which is in drop down just have the challenge of knowing which key on keyboard applies to each character. None of the art saw in picture I looked at would be hard just have to be careful proofreading the "text". Won't have time this week but will soon be machining an indexable holding jig times two. Will need one that each side of lower will nest into. With any luck the G-code or at least a model is available over on one of the CNC discussion groups.

BC
April 16, 2017, 04:46
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/8a/T91-1_%2876%29.JPG

OP, let us know when Wolf has the updated version available/in stock.

hueyville
April 16, 2017, 10:05
Above post forced this one out. Cough, hack, hack, furball. Yes I know its a reach but seen these things run on Utube built by high school and college kids plus military versions in small platforms becomming more popular to mount on roof of vehicle than have a team member exposed to zombies. Have this robotic arm in shop with all spindle motors and belts replaced, working on routing wiring back inside so able to button it up. Have some basic instructions on interfacing the PIC Programming control box to a Gameboy or R/C type remote controller along with all manuals for the machine, textbooks in PIC programming and intent to attach to one of my paintball guns. Machinist said was running when tore down for maintenance but a spindle motor went bad and they were replacing all motors and belts while had apart. They used it to run a small MIG welder for electric motor housings.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2qn12cz.jpg

Want to do something similar to this but mount to ceiling of foyer at front door or central hallway of upstairs living area. When Wallyworld clearance off all their tactical stuff the pepper spray and hard rubber paintball ammo that hurts like crap was almost free. Cleaned all the tactical paintball ammo out of four locations.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/nTs7VRFV36c/hqdefault.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/FAxfsmc.jpg

If able to make it work (going to require help from some kid that knows PIC Programming and interfacing controllers) will need a surveillance camera for aiming, trigger aND safter actuator. Have the robotic arm, all cables and was in final assembly of its rebuild when acquired from local plant closing. If it ever properly controls the paintball gun wife already knows it's going in house where one of the ceiling fans are located. If paintball works know a 5.728 AR would also. Maybe even handle the recoil of a 5.56 with a Beta Mag. Retreat to panic room and if zombie door kickers got through the force rated exterior doors could be sitting in a Lazy-Boy recliner with Gameboy controller or Smartphone from anywhere on planet with 4G cell service and would be better than Rottweiler's on methamphetamine. Trick would be armoring it and keep ability to articulate but it's one of the loony projects am actively working towards but will need massive help on programming end. Rest is just an actuator to move the trigger. A binary trigger would really be neat in such an application.

Found several companies making these type weapons in smaller platforms for military work.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/JbFYOdRZlE8/0.jpg

http://www.armyrecognition.com/images/stories/east_europe/czech_republic/exhibition/idet_2015/news/Remote_Controlled_Turret_and_Weapon_Station_of_EVP U_presented_during_IDET_2015_640_002.jpg

Except for the programming knowledge have every thing need to make such a project work. Called a company that makes smaller remote weapons and said sell to private corporations with proper licensing but sure their expecting such an item to go to Iraq or Afghanistan to protect a contractors location. Would want a control that operates the safety before able to fire a weapon, even if just a paintball gun loaded with hopper full of hard rubber and pepper balls. If put a real gun on it just a 1911 with a drum magazine would be intimidating. Ultimate would be a belt fed upper with 500 round belt in tray. Control box would easily mount in attic, probably connect to a couple stations using cables as would hate to be sitting in house when someone's hacked drone signal took over a robotic weapon and went crazy while laying on sofa in my skivvies. This is one of my long shot ideas that has low odds of ever working but when scored the free robotic arm been plotting ever since. Even wife could be trained to twist a joystick and squeeze the trigger.

Bertellione
April 18, 2017, 14:32
I've been talking with Randy at Vader on doing the engraving. He did the one for the guy on ar15.com it was close but not 100% correct, not his fault it was the guy on ar15.com that sketched it wrong. Now he has it 99% correct I'll send him the two small corrections to make it 100% correct this evening. He is charging me 150$ including the receiver, shipping, and engraving both sides of the selector switch that I will provide.
This is the first reciever I'm having engraved for a clone does anyone know where I could have it sent off to to have anodized before I cut it out? Or is cerikote good enough?

cowbilly
April 24, 2017, 21:04
Fedex dropped my T91 upper off today and it had a canted gas block and a loose front sight (gas block and front sight base/assembly are two seperate parts, front sight literally rattled when shook-no way it would hold zero). Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. Bought mine from Atlantic, already requested an RMA# and of course it looks like they are sold out now.:mad:

Bertellione
April 24, 2017, 23:43
Fedex dropped my T91 upper off today and it had a canted gas block and a loose front sight (gas block and front sight base/assembly are two seperate parts, front sight literally rattled when shook-no way it would hold zero). Needless to say I was pretty disappointed. Bought mine from Atlantic, already requested an RMA# and of course it looks like they are sold out now.:mad:

I hope they get it fixed for you 100% I've been waiting to order one when they get the correct fsb. Keep us informed on how they take care of it, you may be able to call Wolf directly to get the problem fixed.

HankC
April 25, 2017, 16:34
You would think they would get the correct US front sight height when switching out from the original front sight base and gas block, but obviously it was too much design work.

ftierson
April 25, 2017, 18:02

This does not bode well for anyone trying to break into a saturated market.

Just sayin'...

Forrest

cowbilly
April 25, 2017, 21:12
Update: Atlantic Firearms got in touch with Wolf and Wolf sent me an RMA with an email stating they would replace or fix the one I had, so at least they are standing behind their product. I just boxed it up to go back.

FYI: They include a taller front sight in the box to account for different rear sight heights. Most standard AR sights will require you to replace the front post that is installed with the one included. I did test fire it today before packing it up to send back. It functioned/shot fine even with a loose front sight. The canted gas block sent rounds about 16 inches from center at 25 yards. The dang thing actually grouped pretty well considering.

Flash hider/muzzle brake is off center or rotated to the right to act as an AK slant brake does- I've seen someone on youtube wondering why it was not aligned with the slots straight up/vertical, it is done that way by the factory/Wolf.

ftierson
April 26, 2017, 12:23
By the way, theammunitionstore has these back in stock if anyone is interested (but at $650, just sayin').

I couldn't help myself and decided to try one. It would be nice if the gas block is straight... :)

Forrest

Bertellione
April 26, 2017, 15:42
I just talked with Wolf again today they said the correct fsb will be an option in a couple of months as long as you order the detachable carry handle. But everyone interested in the correct stock and pistol grip or the issued back up rear sight needs to call them so they know there is a market for it they are still not sure about bringing in those items.
Wolf number 1-888-757-9653

If they don't bring in the correct stock and pistol grip my friend might be able to get some mailed here but that will be a limited number of sets.

ftierson
April 27, 2017, 14:30

When you first posted this, I had a hard time believing that the Taiwanese would have shipped a unit with a canted gas block. I have had great experiences with automotive products (and other products, for that matter) manufactured in Taiwan (usually the same items sold by the big domestic car manufacturers under their own name, but much cheaper in cost if leaving the Taiwan manufacturers name on (for example, TYC for lights and so forth)).

While I can put together a decent complete AR for less than the cost of the Wolf A1 upper alone, my feeling was that the 'made in Taiwan' item was worth a few more bucks than 'average.'

Upon doing a little more research (after already ordering one of the T91 uppers with it already shipped), I find that Wolf imports the upper parts from Taiwan without the barrel, and then assembles these parts on an American made (but at least a Cold Hammer Forged barrel) barrel with an exterior nitrided finish. The canted gas block makes more sense now given the American fingers involved in that part of the production.

I must admit that I'm somewhat disappointed given that I had expected the entire upper to be Taiwanese made...

While the final product I get might be just fine, it would have been nice if the several reports I read online before ordering had mentioned something about the US barrel part of the deal. Then again, I probably wouldn't have ordered it if that was the case, which is probably why it wasn't mentioned, if you catch my drift...

Just sayin'...

Forrest

raexcct2
April 27, 2017, 20:31
Forrest,

The barrel is a Taiwan hammer forged barrel blank that is final machined in the US. A completed original barrel can not be imported into the US due to Bush ATF import ban.

I bought one from Aimsurplus and was just waiting on my lower which came in today.

ftierson
April 28, 2017, 01:04
Forrest,

The barrel is a Taiwan hammer forged barrel blank that is final machined in the US. A completed original barrel can not be imported into the US due to Bush ATF import ban.

I bought one from Aimsurplus and was just waiting on my lower which came in today.

Thanks for the info. I very much appreciate your comments.

I assumed that 'Made in the USA' meant made in the USA, not modifying a foreign manufactured product here in the US. Then again, I should know better than that, since all sorts of foreign manufactured products are modified slightly and then sold as 'Made in the USA.'

Also, I know that there are a limited number of sources of hammer forged barrels in the US.

The Bush ban is somewhat difficult to follow, since barrels and full rifles made in Romania and Bulgaria are currently imported (more or less complete). Due to other laws, I knew that Chinese and Russian guns were/are completely verboten, but assumed that Taiwan wasn't counted as Chinese. Then again, these types of laws are so screwed up and illogical that it's surprising that anyone knows what they mean. Often, I think that 'they' make things up as they go...

Upon reflection, I also realize that, with my whining, I was somewhat unfair to US manufacturers in the arms industry (after all, I have dozens of ARs made here that I am very happy with) and to Wolf (as an importer, since I have used many Wolf products with great satisfaction, and they have a record of customer service that is hard to find matched anywhere else).

Hopefully, I'll be very happy with the upper when it comes in on Tuesday (and I already have lowers to mount it on :) ).

I hope that you have great fun with yours...

Forrest

raexcct2
April 28, 2017, 05:12
Forrest,

I'll probably shoot my rifle next week. I used a Stag lower with a Gissele trigger and Vltor A5 adjustable buttstock and a VLTOR A5H4 buffer and a YHM/BMAS rear sight.

Not interested in making a Type 91 clone but wanted a piston AR15 to shoot instead of my original Sterling AR180's.

I do have to say that this rifle is heavy; around 8.2 pounds if my bathroom scale is correct. Recoil should be minimal with that kind of weight.

raexcct2
April 28, 2017, 05:35

I just looked at my upper and it appear my gas block has a slight cant to it also. Sh$t. I'm going to shoot it and see if it's my stupid diabetic plagued eyes playing tricks on me. :(

ftierson
April 28, 2017, 10:26
I just looked at my upper and it appear my gas block has a slight cant to it also. Sh$t. I'm going to shoot it and see if it's my stupid diabetic plagued eyes playing tricks on me. :(My quick test for cant is the two eye method. If it's really straight, when viewed with the right eye, it should look slightly canted to the left. Repeated with the left eye, it should look slightly canted to the right, equally...

With the T91, that assumes that the front sight is mounted squarely on the gas block...

Then again, I'm sure you know this... :)

Forrest

raexcct2
April 28, 2017, 12:44
My quick test for cant is the two eye method. If it's really straight, when viewed with the right eye, it should look slightly canted to the left. Repeated with the left eye, it should look slightly canted to the right, equally...

With the T91, that assumes that the front sight is mounted squarely on the gas block...

Then again, I'm sure you know this... :)

Forrest

Forrest,

I tried your method and that's how it appears. I guess the gas block is straight. I'll shoot it next week to confirm.

hueyville
April 28, 2017, 18:51
Same as with optics, when mounting FSB's or most anything I use levels. Have as many as six levels on an upper at one time. Get the receiver level then if every other part is level or plumb it always works unless a gas vent was drilled off center.

http://i68.tinypic.com/34972pe.jpg

http://i60.tinypic.com/10fnwp1.jpg

Just a few of the small cheap levels. The two nice millwright levels are kept in foam lined wooden boxes. When setting up a front sight tower or some gas blocks the nice levels insure if there is an issue belongs to manufacturer.

http://i65.tinypic.com/mcqi4j.jpg

Magnetic bases make them much easier to keep where want them on smaller steel parts. Lost my aluminum magnets...

cowbilly
April 28, 2017, 19:43
I just looked at my upper and it appear my gas block has a slight cant to it also. Sh$t. I'm going to shoot it and see if it's my stupid diabetic plagued eyes playing tricks on me. :(

I hope yours is good. Mine would not square up with the flat of the upper, shooting it proved this as it shot 16 inches to the right of center at 25 yards. I am still surprised that whoever assembled it let it go out with that loose front sight base.

Wolf received it back this morning so lets see what they do. For $600 there should be no issues.

cowbilly
May 02, 2017, 17:30
Update: Wolf customer service sent me an email today stating they fixed the canted gas block and loose front sight- it was shipped back to me today.

That is pretty good customer service (if it shows up fixed as stated), fast turn around too, counting the weekend they only had it for 4 days.

Bertellione
May 04, 2017, 21:08
I just got my lower and selector switch in the mail today from Vader Tactical. The engraving turned out perfect it took me and Randy several emails back and forth to get the engraving correct, but it turned out perfect. The total cost was 150$ shipped and that included the selector switch engraving that I provided and the lower. He charged half the price most the other engraving companies wanted to do the job and put up with my wanting it to be perfect. The other companies all made comments about only being able to get 90% perfection. If anyone is interested send me a pm and I'll email photos of the finished product, sorry I've never figured out how to post photos on these sights.

cowbilly
May 05, 2017, 17:33
Bertellione, sounds like you have a good plan going. I just stuck mine on an extra lower I had. Authentic parts for these are difficult to find.

Update: I got my upper back Thursday and everything was fixed. Excellent customer service.

Bertellione
May 06, 2017, 03:30
The original parts are being brought in. There is a guy on t91 tactical that is bringing in parts and Wolf is suppose to be bringing in original parts as well.