PDA

View Full Version : 86,000 Garands may be repatriated

KoKodog
April 11, 2017, 21:37
http://americanmilitarynews.com/2017/04/civilian-marksmanship-program-may-receive-86000-repatriated-m1-garands-philippines/

Civilian Marksmanship Program May Receive 86,000 Repatriated M1 Garands From The Philippines

lets hope so ....... :whistling:

STGThndr
April 12, 2017, 23:19
I understand that they will NOT be CMP rifles but sold on the open market. We can only hope. Would love to have one.

Near Sighted Sniper
April 18, 2017, 20:46
I thought by law the HAD to be turned over to the CMP. That was why the Korean deal got squashed by Obama ( the ONLY good thing he did ). That at least gives us a chance to re-patriot those Korean M1's.
I don't know how excited I am about the Philippean rifles. I'll bet that the stocks are all in bad to un-useable condition, & the barrels could be in bad shape as well. I'm thinking that these rifles are gonna need lots of love from the CMP amorers to even meet the field grade criteria.
I hope I'm wrong, I would love to see 86K really nice M1's come home!!!

enbloc8
April 18, 2017, 22:20
These Philippine rifles, I understand, ARE going to the CMP.

I've been following the Korean Garand saga since the late 90s, and the problem with them goes beyond D.C. politics...the Koreans both received MAP rifles ("Lend-Lease" type aid, still US property and therefore returnable to the CMP) AND purchased rifles outright (that they own free and clear). No record was kept of which rifles were which--there was a Cold War on, after all, and our allies needed arming. Topics like "what'll happen to these rifles when they're no longer needed" weren't even on the agenda...at best, perhaps they figured the Koreans would do what the West Germans did to their surplus M1s in the 60s--which was pile 'em up and burn 'em.

So now, all these decades later, they've got this massive pile of well-used (at best) rifles whose ownership is decidedly "gray area". There was the massive lot of M1 Garands and M1 carbines that returned via Blue Sky and other importers in the 80s...trouble is, the Koreans provided paperwork at the time, certifying that *these* rifles were the ones they had purchased, not MAP rifles that are still technically US property. After the rifles had come to the US and were being sold, that paperwork was found to be bogus...which is why the import of additional American surplus arms was abruptly brought to a halt in the late 80s/early 90s. Now the Koreans are claiming that the rifles that they sold in the 80s were the MAP rifles, and *these* rifles are the purchased ones...and this time our government wised up and said "Riiiiiiight".

So in a nutshell, the Koreans claim they bought them and have the right to sell them to importers, the government regards them as MAP aid that still belongs to the US, and the Army's policy is that they don't pay foreign governments to return their old junk.

Near Sighted Sniper
April 18, 2017, 23:16
Now the Koreans are claiming that the rifles that they sold in the 80s were the MAP rifles, and *these* rifles are the purchased ones...and this time our government wised up and said "Riiiiiiight".

So in a nutshell, the Koreans claim they bought them and have the right to sell them to importers, the government regards them as MAP aid that still belongs to the US, and the Army's policy is that they don't pay foreign governments to return their old junk.

Well shit, this is a no brainer if you ask me. They sold US property illegally, give us our $$ back OR give us the rifles that you claim to have legitimately bought from us as payment for the ones that you sold illegally!!!!

Either way I want those rifles back!!!

xtremerange
April 19, 2017, 09:39
The Philippine rifles will make the Korean ones look like NOS.

My guess is CMP will beable to piece together 10-15K of saleable rifles and have to part out the rest.

BruceHMX
April 19, 2017, 10:24
The Philippine rifles will make the Korean ones look like NOS.

My guess is CMP will beable to piece together 10-15K of saleable rifles and have to part out the rest.

You are correct. I was stationed there in the 80's and saw a large lot of these stored just outside of Manila. They were rode HARD! But the good thing is lots of very early guns. The Philippine Scouts were issued these prior to our own troops. That same warehouse had carbines, Thompson's, M3 grease guns, you name it. I did not see any M2 50cals. But they may have been there.

We'll see.