PDA

View Full Version : Fal builders in Austin , TX.?

SuperDaveI
June 12, 2002, 00:26
Any FAL builders in Austin , Tx ?

Hadn't really thought of putting one together myself but it does sound interesting....

Scott S
June 12, 2002, 10:39
SD, I'm not a builder yet, but I think I'm ready to give 'er a whirl. Have a honkin' air compressor, sandblasting gun, decent vise, and the requisite dremel tool. I've tried my hand at parkerizing on the grill in the backyard and it doesn't seem difficult. Now I just need a kit and one of those non-gear logo Imbel receivers that Harlan is advertising for $189! Interested in combining forces?

perdurabo
June 12, 2002, 11:09
Howdy fellow Austinites

I live here in Austin and have done two G1 FAL builds thusfar and am working on an Israeli Heavy Barrel.

I'm still lacking a sufficient setup for refinishing (namely a shop oven or a decent park tank) so I'd be interested in possibly pooling forces and knowledge on future builds.

Also, a small group of us local FAL (and other MBR) enthusiasts meet up down at Hill Country Rifle Range down off Hamilton Pool Road every other Sunday. Let me know if youre interested in coming out and I'll keep you posted.

Scott S
June 12, 2002, 12:47
perdurabo,

Unfortunately, I also lack a park tank (my prior experience was with a Pyrex dish). Perhaps it's time for me to invest in a nice park tank. I'll have to see if my kitchen oven is large enough for a barreled receiver.

Would love to meet up with fellow FALers, but I can't do Sundays (or Saturdays) this summer--family obligations. However, I am relatively free on weeknights...

G1user
June 12, 2002, 14:25
Im in Austin too.

Haven't been to the Hamilton Pool group yet, but will check it out when I am finished building the G1.

rwwje
June 12, 2002, 17:19
I'm in Cedar Park. Got a blaster; no park set-up (Oxpho-Blue works amazingly well, though); have built four including a file to fit (Entreprize). Hey perdurabo, keep me posted on the Hill County Rifle Range; I'd like to go.

RICK G.
June 12, 2002, 22:22
I live about 8 miles from the hill country rifle range, what sundays of the month do you shoot there? I have a G1 an L1A1 and Dans grade 3 I need to ring out, have not had a chance to shoot them yet. Been working to much to make it to the range. What time does Richard open up on sundays, thats how long its been I can't remember what time the range opens. Rick G.

SuperDaveI
June 12, 2002, 23:44
Hey , let me know which sunday ......

I shoot IDPA out there on Sat.s

Would like to see some more FALs

m14oneshot
June 13, 2002, 15:10
When is the next get together?

perdurabo
June 13, 2002, 15:22
Some of us may be out there at HCRR this Sunday afternoon. I've got a G1 I've just re-barreled that I need to testfire and Ive got one of the new $300 SOG CETMEs I need to break in.

If you see some FALs down on the line, come on over and say hi, its likely they'll be part of our group.

Armadillo
June 13, 2002, 16:41
Howdy Yall,

I'm in the Capital City. Right now I am putting together one of Dan's grade III's. Was going to contract the blasting and try the parking myself. I built a barrel vise from the Gunthings.com diagram, works well. Alumahyded the furniture matte black, looks nice. Going for the FSE HTS, possibly Enterpirse III but now maybe FAC on sale, Penguin BS & PG.

Just thougt I'd sound off.

Armadillo

dino1
June 13, 2002, 22:15
Dino reporting for duty, I'm going to shoot fri afternoon at the austin rifle club range. I gots a parken' tank and a three burner set up that can handle a barreled receiver also. Let's keep tabs on each other and mabye some sunday I'll meet you at the HCRR. Dino out.

perdurabo
June 20, 2002, 12:27
Ive got a G1 that I need to have blasted and parked/finished. I've got access to a blaster, but no parking supplies.

Anyone here in Austin interested in setting up some kinda trade for a blast & park? At the very least I'd like to hep a bit so I can get some hands-on experience.

Scott S
June 20, 2002, 14:22
perdurabo and others,

I still have enough Brownells parking solution to park a batch of your small parts, but I don't have a Pyrex dish in the kitchen that's big enough to handle a barreled receiver (and I'd need more solution, anyway). Got a few mags from Dan's that I'd like to refinish, and although I have a compressor and gun, I haven't used it yet and wouldn't mind a little demo from someone with blasting experience.

I count 9 guys that have posted to this thread. Anyone interested in meeting some evening at a burger 'n beer joint? Hell, I'll even volunteer my house (N. Austin). My parking grill out back doubles as a device for cooking food. Handy, eh? I suggest the burger/beer route because I'm unavailable on weekends. If you're interested, PM me and let's get this train moving.

Armadillo
June 20, 2002, 20:12
Howdy again,

I got 2 pints of Brownell's Magnesium solution that I haven't mixed up yet I think it will make 3 or so gallons. I'd be willing to put it to use if I could get access to a blaster (though I've never used one before). I was thinking of trying the PVC pipe capped on one end method for the barreled receiver. I haven't got the receiver yet but will have it soon, so let me know.....

Armadillo

SuperDaveI
June 20, 2002, 22:30
Let's get a firm RangeTime set up , so we can do some shootin.....

I want another FAL and need some ideas.....

dino1
June 21, 2002, 12:38
Scott, I have plenty of solution, a three burner set up w/ propane and propane accs., and a stainless tank about 33-35" long. Sunday or Saturday Eve. works for me, I also live north. Can't do it this weekend, going to Vegas Sun. morn. Dino out

HankB
June 23, 2002, 15:44
Well, how about that - FALers in Austin!

I've done some serious looking, and I've decided I want an FAL alongside my other sport utility rifles. Building one seems the way to go, and from what I've read on these forums and at cruffler.com, it doesn't seem too hard a project for a garage mechanic to tackle.

So . . . any advice on who to see /where to go for a metric Imbel receiver (w/ejector block installed, of course), in or around Austin? One guy I saw at the recent Saxet show was asking $300 :eek: plus tax, which seems a bit steep.

Advice on kits would be most welcome!

RICK G.
June 23, 2002, 20:56
Went to HCRR today to ringout 3 builds, 1 L1A1 ,1grade 3 Imbel& a G1. all shot very good groups, had trouble with G1 , think I'm going to have to order a dsa piston & tube for it . the L1A1 & Imbel ran without a problem. Met one of the falfile members there today, was hopeing a few more would have shown up. We need to set up a meet there at everyones convenience. Rick G. PS, Texguns on manchaca rd. will order & do transfer on recievers Chuck, the owner is a good guy to deal with.

G1user
June 23, 2002, 22:29
Originally posted by HankB
Well, how about that - FALers in Austin!

I've done some serious looking, and I've decided I want an FAL alongside my other sport utility rifles. Building one seems the way to go, and from what I've read on these forums and at cruffler.com, it doesn't seem too hard a project for a garage mechanic to tackle.

So . . . any advice on who to see /where to go for a metric Imbel receiver (w/ejector block installed, of course), in or around Austin? One guy I saw at the recent Saxet show was asking $300 :eek: plus tax, which seems a bit steep.

Advice on kits would be most welcome!

I am no expert.
On my first FAL build now.
I bought a G1 kit and receiver from a shotgun news ad wholeseller.
I did the federal paperwork for the receiver (imbel tyoe 3 metric, with ejector block) thru a local semiprivate FFL holder who is a memeber of the Austin rifle club.

Jim at 'Cost Plus 10' gun shop might do the FFL for you if you call and ask him. McBrides will cost more no doubt.

Yes $300 for one may be a bit steep, but they are getting scarce so I hear, so that may explain it; dunno for sure.
If you have to budget it, then buy the recvr first, then the "kit" and then you can budget out the rest of the bits later.

I removed the recvr stub and indexed the barrel myself; I am having a smith do the headspacing, but I will take it back from there.

perdurabo
June 24, 2002, 11:33
I buy all of my receivers mail-order from places like AIM, FAC and Classic Arms. FAC (www.gunsnstuff.net) has Imbel non-gear-logos for $189 rigt now. If you buy local, youll have to not only pay for the retailer markup but also sales tax. VERY much not worth it.

I get all my transfers done at Tex-Guns on Manchaca. They'll do receiver transfers for $20 (their regular rifle transfer is $30).

As for HCRR, this past Sunday was an off-weekend for our group. Next Sunday, the 30th, we should be going ot there to get the shootin' done. We usually show up between 2PM-3PM and shoot till Richard closes the range...or the END TIMES arrive, whichever comes first ;)

See y'all out at the range

Texas Jack
June 24, 2002, 14:33
Add me to a "get together" list - I live in Lockhart (30 min south on 183) - not a builder but would like to try! Was going to build a gun, but found that it was less expensive to just order one complete (Stg 58 from SOG) - the tools and USA - made parts put the "build" a couple hundered over the complete rifle... but, those kits are so reasonably priced and maybe my wife would like one for her birthday... :rolleyes: :D so you never know!

rwwje
June 24, 2002, 22:15
perdurabo, I also got a dose of the End Times from Richard on my first phone call for directions to the range this weekend. Seems I shouldn't be paying my yearly dues to Cooks Sure Shot 'cause it ain't gonna last that long.:D

Edit: Forgot to mention that I met Rick G. and a couple of other FALers at Hill County this past Sunday. Saw an amazing set of "1800 degree" painted green furniture (by Rick G.) on fine L1A1 - looked great, no nicks, is holding up very well.

DoubleFeed
June 25, 2002, 10:24
Also an Austinite here, on the north side.:D

RICK G.
June 25, 2002, 22:06
I see by some of the posts that some of you have been indoctrinated by Richard. Thanks for the kind words Rwwje. Hope you get the scope problems sorted out on your M1-A, very nice rifle, the STG58 was nice also. Real nice guy, would like to meet some of the rest of the falers in the area. Thought I was the only one around . Rick G.

SuperDaveI
June 25, 2002, 23:11
I got a DSA stove piping on me , maybe ya'll can figure it out for me.
Can I bring my AK also ?.....;)

fullotto
June 26, 2002, 09:02
Actually I'm in North Lake Travis.

Have a Izzy Heavy project coming along. An IMBEL Test fired, but
needs beautified. STG 58 (built by CGW) georgeous , and a couple G1 Tapco kits.
I'm gonna try Marble Falls range. 100 bucks to join then no
additional costs. Eagle Peak in Jonestown don't like that
FMJ ammo on their range?????
Might have to hook up down south Austin if a gaggle gets together.

Fullotto

:D

P.S. Marble Falls range is Wed thru Sun

geojap
June 26, 2002, 14:12
Well, I'm a FALer-to-be. I'm planning on buying one here shortly. One of my good shooting buddies has one. I'll keep my ears open and see when you all are planning on meeting at the range. I could bring some of my communist guns that I have currently (just for variety, of course).

I also want to learn how to build them. Maybe we could do a building workshop for those of us who don't know how, if there is enough interest.

I work in Austin so I'd be down for getting together for burgers and beer after work some day.

Take care,
Jason in Elgin

Texas Jack
June 26, 2002, 15:04
sumbody say beer? :D

SuperDaveI
June 26, 2002, 17:08
I said , a BUD LIGHT.........

geojap
June 26, 2002, 17:59
Yeecccch, that's what my wife drinks. I'll drink anything wet, but I'm kinda partial to Guinness if I can get it.

What do you guys think about burger/beering on Tuesday or Wednesday evening, the week after july 4th? What is that, the 9th or 10th of July?

Anybody want to vote on a burger joint? Burger-Tex? Players (on MLK)? Hut's? EZ's? Posse East? Requirements: good burgers and also must have beer!

m14oneshot
June 26, 2002, 18:39
"CENTEX Apocalyptic FAL Society"? I guess that I should join the group before it's to late, right? On another note, is there going to be a group park & build get together or will this be discussed on the 30th?

geojap
June 26, 2002, 20:16
Speaking of beer is there a DWP law? (Drunk While Posting) Seriously, I've only had two, Ossifer.

We can start a Yahoo Group so we can email each other to send out the Pony Express for when we'll get together to shoot or have a FAL build.

We would have to name it. "CENTEX Apocalyptic FAL Society"? CENTEX FALholics? CENTEX FAL-lovers?

m14oneshot
June 26, 2002, 21:16
Here are a few suggestions:

"Cedar Choppers with FALs"

"Hill Country Irregulars"

"Waterloo FAL Society"

"Central Texas FAL Brotherhood"

"Texican Legion of FALers"

or my favorite

"People for the Ethical Treatment of the FAL (PETFAL)"

:D

Tex
June 26, 2002, 23:13
Try this y'all.
Get with the program!;)
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tx-fnfal/

Fallen
June 27, 2002, 02:02
AUSTIN RULES!!!!I had moved to AZ for a while (even though it is a very free gun state) Austin Rules! No offense to those out there in AZ. I was born in Austin and that where I belong. I just got my first G1 kit, cant wait to get started.
Fallen

RICK G.
June 27, 2002, 21:46
I'll be at HCRR this sunday to try out G1 again to see if it will function after changeing out gas tube. My son wants to ring out pre-ban CAR I gave him for his birthday. Hope to see some of y'all there. Rick G. PS. Y'all need to post reply to tx. fal assoc. about how many falers in tx. on meetings & events.

rwwje
June 27, 2002, 22:12
I am glad to see so many Austin area FALers. Like Rick G., I thought I was the only one around. Hey M14oneshot, I vote for "PETFAL". As far as Geojap's suggestion for a burger and beer meeting, I'm all for that. I just don't know which place to vote for. There seams to be quite a few Austin FALers who want to build their first kit and would like some guidance. I've only built four (the last on a file to fit - and weld - Entreprize receiver). Rightly or wrongly, I feel like I have a pretty good handle on building FAL's (especially headspacing). I'm up for a group build/class if we can put it togather. I've got gauges, pins, calipers, mics, a home made extrator tool, sand blaster, but no park setup (been using Oxpho-Blue, which is amazing stuff). Since I have to unplug the hot water heater to use the air compressor/sand blaster, I probably can't survive a half day event (a son, two daughters, and a wife - mainly the females - don't generally accept having no hot water for hours at a time) . Is there anyone with a park setup that would consider hosting a build class/party for the first-timers? I'll bring the sand blaster and compressor if you have a 220 hookup along with tools. Don't have a receiver wrench or barrel vice, but can show everyone how to do it using a 5" vice, plywood, electrical tape, 27 mm wrench, and timing rods without marring, twisting, or damaging the receiver in any way (did all four torqued to 150 foot pounds or more this way). Like to see Rick G. and other experienced builders participate if possible. Any volunteers?

m14oneshot
June 27, 2002, 22:54
I would have to vote for "Hut's" if your looking for a show of hands. But then again I'll eat just about anywhere that doesn't require me to be in the kitchen.

:p

Armadillo
June 27, 2002, 23:26
I'd be in for a group build as a first timer. I have a barrel vise I could bring if you have something to mount it to. I also have headspace guages and a hand case trimmer you can use for crowning but that's about it, so I won't be a major contributor but would be glad to show...

Armadillo

P.S. I can definitely contribute some beer though.

geojap
June 28, 2002, 07:40
I'm thinking about either buying a Century Imbel/stg-58 FAL from a guy in Dallas or buying the Imbel parts from Dan and the receiver/US parts from FAC and doing a build. I'd have to buy my tools too. I'll wait around a see if a plans for a build start to take shape because I'd rather buy the Imbel stuff and put it together myself.

Take care guys. Can we get a headcount for going to get burgers (and beer!) after work?

Jason

Scott S
June 28, 2002, 10:21
I'll happily volunteer my house for a build party. Unfortunately, I'm limited to weekday evenings for the remainder of the summer. Here's what I have in the way of tools suitable for use:
6 HP 60 gal compressor
blasting gun
Colombian US-made vise (6-7" jaw)
big, sturdy workbench
parkerizing stove (the backyard grill)
enough Brownell's solution for about a half gallon of park
Brownell's muzzle crowning and chamfering tools with a .308 pilot
refrigerator (for barley, hop, and malt-flavored liquid wrench)
If a weekday eve works for you, let me know if you're interested, I'll PM you with details, and we'll set up a day.

As for a burger 'n beer meet, I like Hut's real well. Only problem is that it's a smallish establishment and can sometimes get rather crowded. They don't have buffalo burgers, but how about Waterloo Brewing Company on the NE corner of 4th and Guadalupe? I propose Wednesday, July 10th, say 6:00-8:00ish. (I think Wednesday is pint night.) Anyone game?

perdurabo
June 28, 2002, 10:42
Where have you been for the past few months, Scott? Waterloo Brewing Company on 4th is dead dead dead.

As far as after work burgers and beer, I'm thinking something Central would be best. Say, perhaps, Opal Divine's on west 6th? They have lots of room, great beer (and scotch!) selection, and good food, but parking is a bit of a pain there. What say you all to a meet-up sometime on a midweeknight? Next week might be buggered for some up due to July 4 holiday, but Im good for it.

What say you?

Oh, and my bunch is still on for meeting up down at HCRR this Sunday afternoon to get the shootin' done. Y'all should come on out and say hi...its well worth it with the $5 all-day range fee.

For those of you unfamiliar with how to get there, heres a basic map:

http://www.krtraining.com/KRTraining/CLASSES/hillcountrymap.jpg

Oh, and don't mind Richard if he gets all wall-eyed apocalyptic on you about the END TIMES, lizard people, pope clones, and Kennedy demons. He's crazy as hell, but Mostly Harmelss(tm).

HankB
June 28, 2002, 12:19
As a prospective FAL builder, I'd be interested in a build party. I have a normal complement of hand tools, but in terms of specialized stuff like a barrel vise, receiver wrench, and so forth, I have NOTHING. :(

BTW, Richard at HCRR isn't so bad. Why, last time out there, it was from him that I found out the Bilderbergers put 47 pounds of plutonium on Jupiter. (Didn't ask him why . . . he might have told me!)

At least since he shaved and got a haircut, he doesn't look QUITE so much like Charles Manson!

rwwje
June 28, 2002, 12:35
My son and I will be at HCRR on Sunday somewhere around 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m., weather allowing. He enjoyed ringing the iron man with the FAL and the M1A last Sunday. Hope to have the scope ready to go on the M1A. See you there. :fal:

Scott S
June 28, 2002, 16:16
That I didn't know Waterloo Brewing Company has been kaput for months tells you something about my social life. Thanks for keeping me in the loop, perdurabo.

Opal Divine's sounds great, even if parking is a pain (where isn't parking a pain downtown?). Fourth of July week does bugger my schedule next week; how about a weeknight the following week, say Tuesday the 9th or Wednesday the 10th?

You guys are killing me with discussion of fun on the weekends--I just can't make it. Please don't tease the animals any more than necessary.

My offer to host a build party on a weeknight still stands.

rwwje
June 28, 2002, 18:34
Scott S, is Friday considered a week night for your offer?

RICK G.
June 28, 2002, 18:42
Y'all need to post a reply to the (Meetings& Events) page. Texas headcount, we could possibly set up a large shoot for Texas Falers sometime in the future& get to know some of the other falers from Texas. Regards ,Rick G.

Armadillo
June 29, 2002, 01:49
Any night is a good night for building....at least for me. Opal's is the new Waterloo sort of.

I got the darts from Waterloo....

Armadillo

RICK G.
June 30, 2002, 09:08
Looks like today is going to be a washout at HCRR, we have had almost 5 inches of rain out here so far with more on the way. I think I'll wait till next weekend and try again. Regards, Rick G.

SuperDaveI
June 30, 2002, 20:32
Washout ???? It was FALweather:)

OK it was wet but I had a new AK I wanted to function check , and put a couple hundred through my FAL .

Robert ( FAL Forum Member ) and three others were there .
They brought a good assortment , two FALs , an AK , and an SKS .

Raining but fun......

RICK G.
June 30, 2002, 23:37
Okay guys I wimped out today, stayed in the house nice & dry. I will be there next sunday for sure. Rick G.

m14oneshot
July 01, 2002, 07:58
Sunday was to wet and muddy for me, wimped also, stayed home, played with the grandkid.

Armadillo
July 05, 2002, 16:57
So what was with that B-1 bomber buzzing over us at about a thousand ft. on the 4th.....
scared the living crap out of me it was so loud....sounded like a rocket.

Armadillo

SuperDaveI
July 05, 2002, 18:03
I was in Temple did'nt see it but another meet is on at HCRR . See tread in "Meeting Forum"...

NGOG_NRYTHRNG
July 06, 2002, 21:40
Yow. Over two years ago I bought three 'excellent' Austrian kits with new barrels. Last year I bought three 'finish them yourself' recievers (Entreprise Type III's). They have just been gathering dust.
If the Austin group can organize a build party, I have a reciever wrench, locking shoulder sizing rods, headspace gauges, and beer. I will happily contribute $ for parking solution, or ribs. Whatever is needed.
I realize it is kind of a fantasy to organize this, but if anyone is serious, please email me at ngog_nrythrng@yahoo.com.