PDA

View Full Version : My hammer can be dropped when the bolt is out of battery... is this normal ?

StealthyBlagga
June 11, 2002, 22:53
The hammer on my DSA SA-58 16" Carbine can be dropped by pressing the trigger, even when the bolt is quite a way out of battery.

I know that the disconnector is working OK, because the hammer will not drop on its own after a single firing... the trigger has to be released then re-pressed to drop the hammer.

I am not so worried from a safety perspective, as it looks like the hammer will probably not get a solid hit on the firing pin because the hammer hits the back of the bolt instead of the firing pin head. However, this is disconcerting bacause I am used to actions, such as the AR15, which do not allow the hammer to drop until the bolt is fully locked into place.

Is this normal for a FAL ? If not, what might be the root cause ? Should I ship it back to DSA for a checkup ?

W.E.G.
June 11, 2002, 23:04
This is normal.

There is no out-of-battery disconnect on a FAL.

Dan at VOW
June 11, 2002, 23:07
It is common, I won't say it is normal, because FN designed them with the safety sear for a reason. ATF said we couldn't have the safety sear because it allowed full auto fire, it also prevented the rifle from firing out of battery. You have no provision for a safety sear on your rifle, and couldn't legally install one unless you were a 02/07 or LEO building a F/A on a letterhead.

The hammer doesn't normally have enough energy to cause it to fire OOB, due to the design of the rifle. It is NOT defective. HTH, Dan.

buckaroo
June 12, 2002, 13:19
You can pull the trigger out of battery, but the carrier will be covering the back of the firing pin (or mostly covering it). You may get a light primer strike, but I've never had one go off (luckily) and have been dealing with this problem a lot due to a topcover that was causing the carrier to drag and not close fully. If the carrier is not all the way forward, the hammer hits the carrier and then does not hit the firing pin with enough force. It's a very good design. I don't think the safety sear comes into play at all in this situation. The safety sear protects against oob firing on full auto, or actually, it may just be a way to time the hammer fall ensuring the carrier is closed.

If you rifle has the original selector and grip and the internal parts haven't been altered to make the FA position another safe or semi, put the selector on full and try to fire it. What happens is you get the first shot and then the bolt/carrier cycles and if you keep holding the trigger down, the hammer just follows the carrier forward with no real force of its own. The safety sear, if it were there, would momentarily prevent the hammer from moving. I think the name is misleading--it isn't really providing "safety" at all--the safety is in the design of the bolt and carrier and how they move together. The sear is providing proper hammer timing.

Edited to add:
The spring around the firing pin is also a critical part in the design. It prevents firing pin float on FA and probably helps prevent out of battery firing in conjunction with the carrier design. I wonder if you could get a kB! if you deleted the firing pin spring and then had an out of battery situation? I don't think I want to try and find out. :eek:

StealthyBlagga
June 13, 2002, 01:28
Thanks guys for the very comprehensive answer... I'll sleep easier in my bed knowing that my SHTF rifle works as the good Lord intended :D

June 13, 2002, 04:50
The good lord Dieudonne Salve, you mean.

milton
June 13, 2002, 14:07
Further or related questions.

I took a new build to the range and had two failure to fire incidents. Both times it happened with the first round of a magizine and the primer had a very slight dimple. Again, both times, I rechambered the round, which fired fine the second time. From reading this post, was I experenceing the hammer dropping out of battery? Is this experenced more with new rifles? Hopefully!! Anyway to avoid this? Is a forward assist needed? (Threw that in for the AR crowd.) Anything else it could be? Thanks in advance.

W.E.G.
June 13, 2002, 14:32
Originally posted by milton
Further or related questions.

I took a new build to the range and had two failure to fire incidents...Anything else it could be? Thanks in advance.

Milton, you might want to start a new thread for this question. Easier to keep folks on-topic that way.

milton
June 13, 2002, 14:58
Will do. Thanks.