PDA

View Full Version : Sand Blasting Q's

89Saleen
June 11, 2002, 21:36
Has anyone ever tried sand blasting the original furniture that came with their kits? As light as some of the scratches are I was wondering how it might turn out.

Also, What is the difference between glass beeding, sand blasting, and blasting with aluminum oxide.

I am considering buying a blaster to get my rifle ready for the parkerizing tank.

Thanks

Potshot
June 11, 2002, 21:48
I've glass bead blasted the furniture of every FAL I've built. Turns out real nice. Matte/satiny similar to AR finish on stock. I hate the shiny black look that the originals have. Don't hold gun too close or in one spot for too long though. Aluminum oxide works too on the grips, bead was more gentle though. On the G1 I'm toying with now I used the Amer-lene from Brownells, aluminum oxide blasted the metallics (120 grit). Lower matched the DSA upper I have perfectly with out the PDB. Have fun!

gunsmith_tony
June 11, 2002, 21:48
By "Furnature" I assume your referring to metal parts, and not the wood. :confused:

medicmike
June 11, 2002, 21:52
Sand blasting is going to be pretty agrresive for wood or plastic. Bead blasting will work on plastic furniture but would likely erode the wood in a hurry. The differences in the 3 medias is basicly the agressiveness the provide. Sandblasting is fast and great at removing rust and paint but leaves you with a pretty rough surface. Aluminum oxide is about in the middle and is a little rough for my taste. Beadblasting is much slower but gives a nice satin finish. Some people prefer the extra "tooth" that Al oxide gives and it does make for a nice dark color on the final parkerizing. I probably use my bead blast cabinet as much as anything in the shop except for mabe the milling machine.

flyer05
June 12, 2002, 06:22
Quick blast on the plastic prior to re-finishing worked great for me.:)

Nicco
June 12, 2002, 22:21
Just got mine back from the blaster and they look pretty good. Pistol grip and buttstock are GREAT I kinda hate to paint the pistol grip 'cause I like the feel. Forearm stock doesn't look as good but they were pretty beat up. I gonna sand and paint and someday hope to post pics of not oly my first FAL build but first firearm build.
Nicco