PDA

View Full Version : Review: Short Barreled Rifle (SBR)

Tactical Lounge
April 05, 2017, 19:06
For those that own one, y'all know how much they are. But beyond the fun and cool guy look, there is a real practical purpose for SBRs, read more here...

https://www.tacticallounge.com/reviews/2017/4/5/ar-short-barreled-rifle

Thanks.

Louis
April 05, 2017, 20:52
Caption below the pic of the soldier with a German Mp-40 says "allied soldier with uzi mp40 submachine gun..."

Wha?? :shrug:

jhend170
April 05, 2017, 21:59
Caption below the pic of the soldier with a German Mp-40 says "allied soldier with uzi mp40 submachine gun..."

Wha?? :shrug:

Why do you think the Germans were killing Jews Louis??? It wasn't hate, it was to steal their gats.... DDDDUUUHHHHHH :facepalm:

Edit Follow up... so I dropped a comment about his "Uzi MP40" on the article yesterday. Magically my comment is gone and so is the mention of the Uzi. Was it that f'ing difficult to look up the MP40, OR Uzi?

V guy
April 07, 2017, 11:12
Last fall I shot several SBR's while visiting at a range in Pa.

If having a virtual cherry bomb go off (with full power .223 loads), just in front of the 11-13" muzzle, is your thing, have at it.

I suppose they are meant for blackout and 9mm cartridges........ and cans

Same with .308 16" bbls.........more nutbuster stuff.
Jeeze, I could not hear for 3 days back at the retirement home.

hueyville
April 07, 2017, 18:29
Bought a deal in a pile of 13.5" White Oak Armament 1:7 Wylde barrels. Had no freaking idea what to do with them. Too long for pistol, too short for rifle using standard quick change can adapters. Just finished one using the Noveske Flaming Pig concept muzzle device. Brought it up just past 16" and the trumpet looking thing inside the tin can does a great job directing muzzle blast and sound away from shooter. It actually shot so good, two more Flaming Pigs arrived in package today. Also my two 24" WOA tubes and another pair of the SIG full length fixed carbon fiber stocks. The long tubes are 1:12 and going to use them for 40 to 50 grain vamint rockets. Got an 11.5" 6.8 barrel in today's packages and downloaded a Form 1 to build a dedicated suppressor to weld onto the 6.8 barrel for yet another one stamp SBR. Four little tack welds and one stamp makes the SBR game much more attractive to me. USPS and UPS were good to me today, even got some more specialty tools.

When stopped at LGS had an upper they were trying to modify and could not get the pins out of gas block. Took to shop and got my special German tool steel punch and a three pound hammer to discover pins just laughed at me. Put in my special pin removal jig and then introduced it to the three ton arbor press. Broke the American made punch then put the German punch in and with a cheater bar on handle finally pushed the pins out. Whats up with taking three tons of force to push the taper pins out of a Bushmaster upper? Also have an Adams Arms SBR piston upper to fix. Has been worked on by seller, back to manufacturer twice, returned saying fixed and runs about 50%. Offered to switch it to D.I. and give a warranty but owner has to have a piston gun. Told him to sell the Adams Arms upper, use the lower for something else and buy a SIG piston rifle but wants an AR so recommended an LWRC and still determined to get the Adams working so into a piston upper will dive.

SBR's are silly toys for folks with too many other toys. When have all the real rifles can use then an SBR is just part of the evolution. My 11.5" 1:7 twist 5.56 with spot welded can is 17" long and no oppressive muzzle blast. Can shoot full power ammo without ear protection and not flinch. Won't go under 11.5" and only with a can on it. If need a more compact weapon my handgun fits that bill. Shot a ground hog with a suppressed 9mm SIG using a 147 grain subsonic HP today. Was putting up a sign on side of road, he wandered out of hole, reached in truck and zapped him with the SIG. Dang that Osprey can is quiet. Need? Nahh, don't need an SBR but when bored makes a nice toy and if zombies get in the house will have a use. Apparently am using the wrong zombie bait because not a one has shown up in 25 years. Maybe I didn't forward my mail long enough...

Stranger
April 07, 2017, 19:41
...13.5"... 1:7 Wylde barrels.... too short for rifle using standard quick change can adapters

Ten inches is the minimum 5.56 NATO length on most heavy duty 5.56 QD suppressors (Saker, G5, QDC, etc).

That is Silencerco's current minimum spec for warranty. Gem-Tech is the same.

...11.5" 1:7 twist 5.56 with spot welded can is 17" long...Can shoot full power ammo without ear protection and not flinch.

Really? From a 6.5" suppressor? I'm impressed.

Did you manufacture your own suppressor? Or do you have severe hearing loss already?

hueyville
April 08, 2017, 11:25
Ten inches is the minimum 5.56 NATO length on most heavy duty 5.56 QD suppressors (Saker, G5, QDC, etc).

Really? From a 6.5" suppressor? I'm impressed.

Did you manufacture your own suppressor? Or do you have severe hearing loss already?

Ten inches may be manufacturers minimum spec on barrel length but 11.5" is mine. Lots of threads here and other sites discussing dwell time, overgassing shorter tubes and abusing internal wear parts.

What? Can you repeat that a little louder please? Yes, already have hearing loss. Was deaf from age two till five following a severe bout with scarlet fever messing up eustachion tubes from ears to sinus cavity and internals of ear canal. Went through 18 months of surgeries which restored hearing well enough that with two years of speech therapy was functional. Add a decade of competitive car audio with vehicles that would literally pop windows out of gaskets, working in noisy environments with machinery (should be near a seven horse power Perske High Frequency Spindle Motor turning a large bit at 20,000 RPM when bit starts chattering, dust collection system running, vaccum clamp system at same time in background while running a saw or nail gun), 40+ years of shooting sometimes without protection and a few random overpressure events.

In reference to the 11.5" suppressed 5.56 comments. My post used terms like no oppressive muzzle blast. The other was Can shoot full power ammo without ear protection and not flinch. Neither of those said it was totally comfortable or a joy to shoot without some ear protection. It is quite usable indoors without ear protection and having blood leaking out of ears afterwards or tinnitus return for days following a few quick rounds without hearing protection. Shoot a 14.7" or 16" 6.8 spc II, 16" or 18" 5.56 weekly with full power loads through cans and no hearing protection. Mostly shoot my 14.7" 6.8 spc II's with an AAC 762SDN every few days and never grab muffs or plugs. Can zap a Coyote from bedroom window in middle of night with 16" 5.56 Wylde using night vision and quick change 762 can without wife or neighbors getting mad. Same with my SIG 9mm and Osprey can or 1911 with Hybrid. All of those are bigger cans and quite tame.

The short can 5.56 would be totally useless if unable to run without hearing protection. Would tear it apart and do something different. Currently looking at the AAC Mini4. Adds four inches to host weapon and on a 14.5" barrel manufacturer claims under 140 dB at shooters ear. I can tolerate 140 dB and will likely be my next "Manufacturer Made" suppressor buy. The Form 1 filling out for my next single stamp 6.8 will not be as effective as a professionally engineered can but again, if doesn't make gun tolerable will cut it apart and start over. Tolerable and comfortable are two completely different concepts. Would sure beat unsuppressed with no ear protection and zombies in the house. Know difference between oppressive, tolerable, comfortable and quiet. My rimfire can with 60 grain subsonic is movie script quiet.

Stranger
April 08, 2017, 11:43
Yes, already have hearing loss....
My rimfire can with 60 grain subsonic is movie script quiet.

Sorry to hear that (no pun intended).

Three rounds of 5.56 sonic smack and my ears are ringing.

I fully intend to protect what I have left so I still wear electronic muffs when using suppressed center-fire rifles. I want to be able to hear my grandkids sing.

Have you tried the Aguila Super Colibri? Its quieter than my Red Rider BB-gun with a little 5" TI can.

Nuttz
April 08, 2017, 12:44
Think he is saying that your "home built" 6.5" spot-welded can, on the 11.5" 5.56mm bbl (which I think would be 5.5" can to get your 17" measurement), with no ear-pro is a bit "Walter Mitty". Or maybe just parts of this "cool story" are, bro :whistling:

gentlemanjoe
April 08, 2017, 13:24

Premature baffle erosion.

MistWolf
April 08, 2017, 15:30
...Currently looking at the AAC Mini4. Adds four inches to host weapon and on a 14.5" barrel manufacturer claims under 140 dB at shooters ear...

Check out the AMTAC over the barrel suppressors. Direct thread, is 7.7 inches yet only adds 3.7 inches to the length of the barrel, weighs about 18 oz, reduces blow back and can be disassembled to replace parts as needed

https://amtacsuppressors.com/suppressors/cqbm/

2barearms
April 08, 2017, 22:04
For those that own one, y'all know how much they are. But beyond the fun and cool guy look, there is a real practical purpose for SBRs, read more here...

https://www.tacticallounge.com/reviews/2017/4/5/ar-short-barreled-rifle

Thanks.

I'm a little curious about your thread. I'm assuming your thread is to pimp your
Blog? It's an interesting concept trying to teach older white guys about SBRs
using a story line built around submachine guns from WW2. It's a little untoward
using the FALFiles to drive up hits and traffic on your blog. Do you own any
'Legacy' weapons? how about a FAL. Are you interested in battle rifles or just
Mall Ninja stuff?

Story
April 08, 2017, 22:48
Think he is saying that your "home built" 6.5" spot-welded can, on the 11.5" 5.56mm bbl (which I think would be 5.5" can to get your 17" measurement), with no ear-pro is a bit "Walter Mitty". Or maybe just parts of this "cool story" are, bro :whistling:

https://chattinatti.files.wordpress.com/2015/10/keyboard-commando.jpg

hueyville
April 09, 2017, 07:40
Sorry to hear that (no pun intended).

Three rounds of 5.56 sonic smack and my ears are ringing.

I fully intend to protect what I have left so I still wear electronic muffs when using suppressed center-fire rifles. I want to be able to hear my grandkids sing.

And why normally wear ear protection in shop,and when shooting except my rimfire with cans , centerfire handguns with subsonic ammo and my 6.8's with an AAC 762SDN are very comfortable sound level. Won't be no grand kids to worry bout for me and if ears were going to be totally blown out that would be done. Choice between shooting a coyote or letting him get away while get ear protection and send it into the void.

Have you tried the Aguila Super Colibri? Its quieter than my Red Rider BB-gun with a little 5" TI can.

Yes, have tried most of the Aguila fodder. Prefer the Aguila Sniper Subsonic 60 grain for extra punch on target.

Never mentioned an intended length on a Form 1 can for the 6.8 barrel. Measurement given was for my 11.5" 5.56 rifle with a commercial can and confirmed its 17.5" with 6" of can. You can Google the Spartan 3 or just follow link.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-best-5-56-silencer-for-the-money-griffin-armaments-spartan-3/

Already abandoned a Form 1 can when LGS offered a really good deal on a 30 caliber can collecting dust for the used 6.8 barrel it will be 18.5" overall length built. Apparently folks either spent most of their can money before the Trust law change or are really thinking that suppressor regulations are going to be lossened by current administration as lots of can collecting dus on dealer shelves. Shot the 5.56 rifle with 62 grain full power loads yesterday which was not oppressive for a few rounds and entire point of build, might not have time to grab ear protection in certain situations. Reason for the rifle is that moment because I am past shooting without something to save ears. Few weeks ago phone rang while shooting in shop, removed muffs and when finished conversation picked up 1911 and forgot to put ears on immediately. One round indoors and had to go sit down. Why always have a suppressed subsonic pistol when leave house, if get a chance to shoot in sound sensitive area or snap a round off quickly makes it easier. I know cans are not quiet but most I can tolerate to use without ear protection if need arises.

Nuttz
April 09, 2017, 08:05
...Never mentioned an intended length on a Form 1 can for the 6.8 barrel. Measurement given was for my 11.5" 5.56 rifle with a commercial can and confirmed its 17.5" with 6" of can. You can Google the Spartan 3 or just follow link...https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/the-best-5-56-silencer-for-the-money-griffin-armaments-spartan-3/...
Roger that. You got a picture on this platform and pictures of the spot weld?

Check out the AMTAC over the barrel suppressors. Direct thread, is 7.7 inches yet only adds 3.7 inches to the length of the barrel, weighs about 18 oz, reduces blow back and can be disassembled to replace parts as needed...https://amtacsuppressors.com/suppressors/cqbm/
Thank you for posting this Mist. I now know the can I am going to get for my SIG MPX. I like their overbarrel Hornet a lot! My wallet hates you! :devil:

hueyville
April 09, 2017, 09:41
Sure I can scare up a pic of the one stamp SBR, just looked through my tinypic account and not there. Transferred all pics from phone to work computer and backed up to external drive that's stored in a media safe. When have time will dig one up and wash through tinypic account to post. I thought the "platform" term was banned from use on the files. Oh, its four equidistant spot welds to make it a legal over 16" barrel.

(Thread in Survival area about being in process of replacing phone so trying to get its data archived and washed so its clean when new unit arrives. Don't trust A,T&T stores free data and settings transfer as would be real easy to spool all personal data into their server while transfering. If don't already have a back door in to suck it out at will that my security apps don't recognize)

It's nothing but an M4 upper with Colt take off handguards, 11.5" 1:7 melonite barrel, F front sight tower and the Spartan tack welded to barrel. Have another cheap can waiting for ATF forms to clear and identical 5.56 upper plan to do exact same deal with. It was another direct thread, under $400 can at LGS. Considered a pistol build or two with quick change can adapter as another poor boy single stamp SBR option but without a can have zero desire to shoot an SBR so why even bother. If ever decide to move can it's easier to die grind four tiny spot welds than dig out welded pin and haven't buggered up barrel threads. When LGS offers up old stock cans in the $300 to $400 range have me like a fish on a hook. Were selling rimfire cans last year for $99 each plus stamp fee. That was stinking mean.

Edit:
Do have pictures in phone taken since midweek when wiped all device stored pics and most card stored. This verifies the LGS upper part of what you described as Walter Mitty tale. Unbelievable how hard it was to remove these two pins from Bushmaster upper. LGS said spent two days trying off & on. Went to Defcon 2 with now joy but Defcon 4 pushed them out with cheater bar on arbor press.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2eclogy.jpg

April 09, 2017, 13:13
the bullpup seems like the answer to the sbr qurstion. but maybe thats too simple.

ftierson
April 09, 2017, 13:43
the bullpup seems like the answer to the sbr qurstion. but maybe thats too simple.

:)

Forrest

MistWolf
April 09, 2017, 14:46

Where's DynoMike when you need him?

hueyville
April 09, 2017, 16:45
Been in and out today catching ton of location jobs the rain and wind put me behind on last week. Luckily one job was close to friends house with 150 yard range with assorted steel targets from 25 feet to far end of range. Round and square plates plus full size, 2/3 and 1/2 size silhouette steel plus poppers and more. Yesterday finished detailing the Flaming Pig which came out at 16.2" with the knock off cheap copy of Noveske Flaming Pig and 3.3 pound trigger, little creep with crisp break and almost no travel. Got the C More set two inches high at 100 yards which with my 69 grain SMK's at 2,850 fps using a four inch target in point blank calculator has a 243 yard point blank range with near zero of 25 yards and far zero of 207 yards. With a variety of 8", 10", 12" circles and squares plus all his assorted size silhouette targets and 150 yard range just put the dot dead center of any plate, squeeze the trigger and wait for the clang. Instant if close and tad of delay on the plates past 100 yards.

The aluminum chassis C Mores are still one of my favorite red dots. Started with the 4 MOA dot module, swapped to the 2 MOA dot pretty soon and it was happy time. Boom, clang, boom, clang, boom, clang. The 4 MOA was covering too much target on 10" plates past 100 yards. Could just see a halo of white plate around the red dot and 8" plates were pretty much covered by the 4 MOA dot with my small astigmatism. The 2 MOA module and plates were obvious, had power set about half way up the scale and it is amazing how battle accurate the 13.5" match barrel is. The knock off flaming pig does good job pointing fire ball and sound down range. Wasn't as loud from shooters position as expected. Less than a 16" or 18" with a brake.

Here is the final finished product, painted from gas block forward with flat black high temperature engine paint. Device is tack welded so have to put in effort to change anything but for what it's designed to do, am pleased as punch. With stock extended to middle hole is 32" total length and can use the FAB magwell/grip or handguard to hold if use in tight quarters. Outside if fully extend stock it's comfortable as could want and 34.5" max length.

http://i65.tinypic.com/2ljks2w.jpg

White Oak upper squared and lapped, White Oak 13.5" 1:7 barrel with Geissele gas block and curly gas tube topped with Noveske knock off muzzle device. Full length free float rail, Palmetto premium Bolt Carrier with White Oak bolt. Anderson lower, milspec carbine stock, AR Stoner enhanced polished trigger group squared in Power Custom trigger and sear jig with JP Enhanced Reliability Spring kit, stock carbine buffer spring and H2 buffer. FAB Defense magwell, A2 pistol grip and that pretty much covers the build. Have between $450 and $500, not counting the optic, total build price buying all parts on clearance deals. About to clean it then stick spare battery, Allen Wrench for C More and the Palmetto Carpenter 158 HPT/MPI bolt in pistol grip with a rubber grip plug to hold spare parts. When finish cleaning, put in vault and have the parts to build an exact clone already piled on workbench so happy with how it turned out decided to build a twin. About as small as can do a legal rifle and surprisingly under six pounds unloaded with stainless 30 round magazine.

Nuttz
April 09, 2017, 20:59
Posts wall of esoteric blather in morning about excuses for no pictures of Walter Mitty platform, then posts another wall of esoteric blather in the evening with pictures at brand new screaming pig platform? :facepalm:

hueyville
April 09, 2017, 22:24
Didn't feel like turning on work computers on a Sunday to pull pictures or crack vault and dig rifle out to retake when so busy having to do field work on Sunday. Yes, took a one hour shooting break. Have surgery Wednesday as finally been off chemo long enough doctor feels o.k. to touch up nerve blocks in my thoracic spine area. Will be down three days following that procedure and just now getting over the multiple biopsies to determine if cancer was in remission again. Your tantrum about a specific picture is very low on my list of priorities.

This rifle was easy to post because had in my hands to do final sight in today. With 13.5" barrel is almost on topic for an SBR thread so wrote it up. If were to drag these pics off phone and wasn't in my tinypic account then would be same issue. Don't understand why you feel I need to prove I own an AR 15 with a can. If dig far enough back it may alreay be on tinypic and likely in an older files thread but digging through over 1,000 online photos is time consuming. Scan back thru previous posts, I only post a new AR on average of once a month or so. At least be original and come up with your own term of endearment instead of borrowing G.P.'s. He at least brings game and ability to coin derogatory remarks without plagerizing. More you push, less likely I will be to pull pics or pull rifle and shoot fresh. I don't play middle school level games with internet trolls and bullies.

Week or so ago posted the final results of 22 Nosler build, before that one of the new 6.8 builds with custom camouflage wrap. Swapped all my truck rifles to 6.8 and been building mostly 6.8's. After the Nosler build tripped across a pile of White Oak 5.56 barrels and decided to screw one up for nostalgia. Have four or five 6.8 barrels in pile plus a shipment of long, heavy tube 5.56 barrels in route from White Oak. Also have a pile of SIG receivers and SIG carbon fiber furniture so may jump over to long barrel builds since summer is here and about time for some corn farmers to call with crow issues. Might need two of the 24" barrel builds to keep from overheating throats if get in a big wad of crows. White Oak had their annual big spring clearance sale so between them, 68forums marketplace and other vendors more interested in current and upcoming builds than pulling pictures like a puppet for you. Want them so bad go dig around at tinypic yourself and may find some pics without me wasting time.

Nuttz
April 10, 2017, 08:31
Slow your roll Huey. You are starting to whine about sh!t like RNS. In the time you have taken to write this (with the included butthurt , I might add), you could have taken a picture of this platform. I could honestly care less about your platform and was making an observation. You have on occasion posted things that are valuable contributions here, but your incessant ramblings about being super tacti-cool are starting to wear thin.

I care less about trying to read through your "life-issues", which somehow appear to be not-an-issue when you take on the Mall-Ninja role to armor up and assist local LEO with nefarious characters or do CQB drills with folks that have you on call for SWAT style missions (not meaning I don't hope you get the treatment and healing you need for said issues. I really do wish you the best for you and yours).

Another observation that is apparent, is the dichotomy in your life-focus. You regularly complain about the time and costs of all the medical care (and you use these issues as excuses for a great many thing), but the amount of coin you "appear" to be shelling out on your SHTF prepping endeavors is a bit exorbitant in my opinion. Just an observation and nothing more.

Post photos or not, I really don't care, but I am still gonna call bullsh!t when I see it. You have probably done some cool sh!t in your life Huey, but you don't need to one-up everyone here every single day in every single facet of the tacti-cool life. You are still our Huey and we love you for what you are, Walter or not!

hueyville
April 10, 2017, 10:15
At least I caught the tongue in cheek that time. Yes, I pontificate. Waiting on clients, inspectors, doctors or rehabbing have a tendency to be overly descriptive and long winded. Some seem to like, some are ambivalent and the ones I piss off, at least they can be hating on me instead of their wife or some other real life person close by. As to the money, dad taught me to structure my finances the way Bible instructs. Don't owe money. Home, business, vehicles, toys are all paid for. Wife and I had first meal out when went to NC for funeral in over four years. Am a coupon cutting, sale leveraging, grocery buying machine and save more money on food over daily low price than spend on guns. Yes, had to finance some in beginning but did 15 year instead of 30 year mortgages so it all paid off years ago. Imagine not having a single payment and how far your money would go for toys. Medical is somewhat tax deductible and necessary to keep working. Could retire right now if want but enjoy working so have more money for toys and a place to build them.

Nuttz
April 10, 2017, 15:44
At least I caught the tongue in cheek that time. Yes, I pontificate. Waiting on clients, inspectors, doctors or rehabbing have a tendency to be overly descriptive and long winded. Some seem to like, some are ambivalent and the ones I piss off, at least they can be hating on me instead of their wife or some other real life person close by. As to the money, dad taught me to structure my finances the way Bible instructs. Don't owe money. Home, business, vehicles, toys are all paid for. Wife and I had first meal out when went to NC for funeral in over four years. Am a coupon cutting, sale leveraging, grocery buying machine and save more money on food over daily low price than spend on guns. Yes, had to finance some in beginning but did 15 year instead of 30 year mortgages so it all paid off years ago. Imagine not having a single payment and how far your money would go for toys. Medical is somewhat tax deductible and necessary to keep working. Could retire right now if want but enjoy working so have more money for toys and a place to build them.
All good, now post pictures of the "Walter Mitty Platform" (it is catchy, isn't it?). Really more interested in the spot welds you mentioned. This part intrigues me.

Nuttz
April 19, 2017, 13:57
https://m.popkey.co/084dba/WxzNK.gif

hueyville
April 19, 2017, 18:06
Remember I have a clue how you play this game. Just have to review some of my archived PM's from you with titles like R*S banned at M14.com. You will be relentless assuming can eventually get anyone to roll over using basic social engineering principles. I took Psychology and Sociology 101. Thus to satisfy your need to force an outcome here are tack welds. I am not the greatest welder and my professional welder was not in this particular day but rules say "four equidistant tack welds" which I accomplished for the task. This is the last will post no matter how much goading because I understand the game and the way you play it well enough to go back to that old nerd classic War Games where the WOPR tells Dr Falken that this is "a strange game" in which "the only winning move is not to play."

http://i67.tinypic.com/34dik9j.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/8wf8fs.jpg

"Want to play a nice game of chess?"

Nuttz
April 19, 2017, 18:45
Remember I have a clue how you play this game. Just have to review some of my archived PM's from you with titles like R*S banned at M14.com. You will be relentless assuming can eventually get anyone to roll over using basic social engineering principles. I took Psychology and Sociology 101...
:facepalm: You f@ckin dumba$$ Huey, I wasn't playing any game and was only poking fun at you. I was truly interested in the rifle with a spot welded factory suppressor on it that you opening made claims to have, and that you have properly "stamped".

With your childish response here, your Bullsh!t filled excuses up above, about all of your reasons for not posting pictures of your "Mitty Platform" (all the while you fill the board with pictures and walls of blather as you have virtual man-love with your new found bromance in the Shotgun vs steel plate thread), and the outward displays of butt hurt regarding being challenged on your claims; I officially call BullSh!t and say you are not only Walter Mitty, with a grand sense of imagination, but you are just a straight out liar.

Carry on with your bad self and I give two sh!ts if you make good on this challenge or not, or if you continue blathering on about anything. Not only have you proven to me that you can't take a joke but you are just as full of sh!t as RNS and others here that need to dream sh!t up to make themselves feel accepted.

Take care and God Bless...

hueyville
April 19, 2017, 19:26
How the hell am I supposed to know when your goading or asking? A polite request with reason want to see will make much more progress. Rereading this thread thought you were making a project out of me as have others. When people ask me why your on my @$$ so hard it starts to make a fellow think. If you really want to see it will dig out but as said before, life is kicing my @$$. Gone through chemo, radiation, four back proceedures and three biopsies since New Years. Spent Easter keeping wife alive after hornet stung her and she is still swollen like a marshmellow. Won't be home except to sleep till next surgery two weeks from last Fridays procedure. Actually went to work Saturday after Fridays nerve block and again for 90 minutes Sunday after getting wife stabilized.

Have eight to ten weeks work on desk all with a two week deadline, called three temp services this week and all said didn't have general laborers. Just walked in door of house after 12 hour day and have to fix wife dinner, take a shower then set in on designs and bids for clients. Gettimg pushed to go pilfer vaults to take a picture of an AR 15 was seeming odd. I don't even know which vault it's in to start digging out. Since got the quick change cans have been moving the narrow scope of service items back to vaults. Have one new vault bought and filled in less than a year. Give me a wink or something if poking on occasion. Coming off chemo has my thyroid and adrenals all whacked out which has made me double cranky along with seven surgeries which will be eight in 2017 before end of fourth month. Had a doctor ream my @$$ today wanting to know why his sign wasn't up and installed it last Thursday. Not been a great start to 2017 as throttled business back to a smooth idle and suddenly my clients have gone from not having any real projects to pre 2008 crash level since election. The Trump bump is kicking my skinny @$$, sorry bro. Apologize is all I can do.

Nuttz
April 19, 2017, 19:37
All good, now post pictures of the "Walter Mitty Platform" (it is catchy, isn't it?). Really more interested in the spot welds you mentioned. This part intrigues me.
This wasn't polite enough or evident? Remember, beginning or end of the day, I am an A$$hole!

hueyville
April 20, 2017, 05:44
In the same club. When took me off chemo stopped the infusions that keep it from making sick. The infusions wore off before the chemo did and wife says have been overly aggressive. Let's write this off, will get you picks of the weld up one stamp rifle or at least one of them. Have to buy the cheap sealed non user serviceable cans. If can take can apart it's an unregistered SBR even if mount area is welded to barrel. Best part is set gas for can use and don't have to worry about adjusting if remove can, dang thing is welded on....

badzero
April 20, 2017, 13:07
I lost my mom to chemo, actually the cancer was in remission and the dr prescribed "preventative chemo" which did her in. The doctors I have asked since have all told me that if it were them they wouldn't do chemo period, it's some bad shit. Always remember they are practicing medicine, if they really knew what they were doing they would say they were performing medicine.

hueyville
April 20, 2017, 15:34
I lost my mom to chemo, actually the cancer was in remission and the dr prescribed "preventative chemo" which did her in. The doctors I have asked since have all told me that if it were them they wouldn't do chemo period, it's some bad shit. Always remember they are practicing medicine, if they really knew what they were doing they would say they were performing medicine.

My dad died after cancer during the "preventative chemo" period. I have better doctors than he did because he just went to where referred. My rock climbing partner is a former head of department at a teaching hospital/medical school and now does independent research for the top pharmaceutical companies. Between getting multiple opinions and his intervention get good care. Have the best internest and endocrinologist around, My shoulder was done by the guy who does shoulders for Braves pitching staff and many pro quarterbacks, knee done by guy who does the U.S. Olympic Ski Team. Have been to nine back surgeons and my primary cervical guy did Jack Nicklaus and Phil Mickelson along with most of the pro golfers and football quarterbacks that need back surgery. My hip guy is in Nashville because so many old country music singers are there and all eventually need a hip. Head of Emory's hip department sent me to him saying he was only guy in the Southeast that could fix my hip right. If going to have $3,000 per month insurance plus deductibles and co-pays going to get my monies worth out of the best doctors. Chemo and radiation was necessary as tumor is sitting between my optic nerves and going after it could leave me blind. That would make the range a dangerous place...

Attending and the on-call orthopod were deciding whether to amputate my left leg at or below the knee when he walked in. Took a alcohol prep and wiped the sharpie off my foot naming doctor of record and wrote a name nobody had heard of and told them to stick me in a room in induced coma. Two days later an ortho came in with a portable tool chest of equipment and a second full of titanium parts. He spent 14.5 hours rebuilding my leg and I walked out of the hospital with a walker six days later on my own leg. A$$holes wanted to cut it off and have a prosthetic installed. Got paid the same whether holding a saw for a few minutes or actually working.

http://i65.tinypic.com/219vtw1.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2a7bwis.jpg

flexible drill bit entering hood of tibia to drill hole for rod. Doc said had to get his big mallet out to drive rod the last few inches had such a good snug fit.

http://i63.tinypic.com/1zczmrp.jpg

Titanium rod from knee to ankle, three plates holding fibula together and total of 13 screws. Said he spent almost two hours picking out bone fragments from the double compound spiral fracture. Said the worst kind of bone injury to fix. he liked out town so much moved here and now does a lot of my ortho work and is my gateway to other specialists along with head of Emory Sports Medicine. I make it a point to find the best doctors I can and get two opinions or more on everything. Even my top notch spinal doc sends me to two other surgeons to read the images and do their own exams to make sure every move made is the absolute best for me, not insurance or the money counters.

Many people suffer from what I call "white lab coat syndrome". Put a while lab coat and stethoscope around a homeless person with second grade education and they will do whatever the person in the lab coat says. Doctors and preachers are human. Got to work to make sure your getting best treatment possible of have a good person to intervene and advocate for you if out of the loop on a morphine drip while decisions are made. Thought I had some skull fracture, neck and shoulder images on this computer but can't find. The Polaroids of inside of shoulder are a work of art on before and after of two bone spur trims, bursectomy and rotator cuff repairs. Just my right hand has more work from the head Doc at Atlanta Hand Clinic than most people will have done to entire body in a lifetime. Had a lot of impacts with immovable objects over the years. Daggum earth doesn't get out of your way no matter how fast you accelerate. Add in the cancer and it eating my pituitary gland am a testament to modern medicine and better living though chemistry.

Never accept a diagnosis of "nothing we can do" or let the first person who looks at something say they need to cut. My biggest advantage are all the surgeries did not let the first and second opinions do. Otherwise would have a C2 through C5 cervical fusion, T6 through T10 Thoracic fusion and an L!,2,3,4,5,6, S1 lumbar fusion. That many invasive spinal surgeries fusing that many vertebrae and would basically have a broom stick from base of skull to crack of @$$. Instead do my P.T. and monthly visit to touch up my Radio Frequency Ablations.

hueyville
April 21, 2017, 14:27
Not the original but first one stamp SBR found in vaults. Second one back in vault number two. No telling how far back the other is but when find it... For now this should suffice to show how a one stamp SBR is done. Four welds makes the can, which is sealed and not user serviceable, a single over 16" barrel. This Walter Mitty Special rifle measures 17.5" long. Mot using the pl@tfo*m word on the Files as verboten.

http://i66.tinypic.com/e155lk.jpg

Four tack welds spaced around the barrel, doesn't have to be pretty, just has to prevent can from being removable. Can't move can around but do not have to wait for two stamps and keep up with both either. They all make contact with the can and the barrel, I put a crush washer between as makes eventual removal a little easier without doing damage to the can if has to be returned for service. Its not coming off without WEG significant work with his infernal Dremel Tool.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2v1q4oy.jpg

http://i63.tinypic.com/2lkffpc.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2vt45zq.jpg

Nuttz
April 21, 2017, 21:19
:thumbsup:

So one stamp for the can, which when welded isn't an SBR because of permannant overall length.

So this gem is not an everyday "quieter" goto platform?

P.S. Platform is fine as long as you are not referring to FAL.

hueyville
April 21, 2017, 23:43
Neither are everyday as always have the confounded can attached. Do not want to put in lock of truck as someone will eventually break in truck, pry open tool box finding full set of 18 volt cordless tools including a grinder and Sawzall and oopsy-daisy a really nasty little rifle is in criminal hands. All of my carry rifles have an AAC 51T Ratchet Mount flash hider. When leave house my Secret Service ballistic briefcase goes with me and in it are a suppressed SIG 2022 and an AAC 762SDN. A suppressed pistol is a zipper pull away in passenger seat or pull can out of bag and spin on rifle then blaze away with either a 6.8, 5.56 or my 16" short gas FAL. If leave sight of truck for any amount of time briefcase goes with and has to be pried from my dead hands. Recently had my top client ask what's always in the briefcase in meetings. Set my Bible, little innocent looking velcro pouch, SIG 2022 with Osprey can, five spare SIG 9mm mags and two 15 round mags of 6.8. Pulled out soft and hard armor layers and he just grinned and asked where he could go get a sack of toys to carry with his Bible.

At house have quick change can on White Oak Armament 16" SDM upper with night vision and quick change on 14.7" 6.8 spc II in rack next to bed and SIG 1911 Tacops TB in night stand. Sit the 9mm with Osprey can next to wife's side and if compelled can spin the daily carry AAC 762SDN on my 16" short gas FAL, M1a Standard, or another AR. Three long guns and two handguns with cans out of vault at any one time is enough. The short barrel small can rifles are tad louder than the longer barrel rifles with longer cans. On occasion pull a one stamp SBR out and take with if going to Atlanta and plan on being in site of truck entire time. Otherwise the quick change offers more flexibility and if check into hotel the briefcase does not raise suspicion unloading bags from truck.

The bag, 3a soft armor panel and Dyneema multi-threat panel plus Bible, suppressed SIG, rifle suppressor and lots of spare magazines. When get to work bag goes in with me. Have had truck doors pried off while five people working inside and cameras rolling.

http://i63.tinypic.com/2yuznlk.jpg

This little 6.8 follows me everywhere like a puppy. Can spin can on whenever feel need and not leave cans in truck if feel high risk of theft. Have rifle in work can spin can on if need plus a suppressed 10/22 always at ready for squirrel duty along with unsuppressed "commie gun" and a CETME.

http://i64.tinypic.com/23u1nb9.jpg

Something about leaving cans in unattended truck doesn't sit well with me, even in a lock. The little one stamp SBR's don't shoot as well as my truck guns with the AAC cans. They rank more as toys, the other has a Tac-con three position bump trigger. They are SHTF pull out of vault or going to range and want to play commando toys. Short barrel combined with short can makes them just shy of eye-ball busting, ear bleeding usable toys. Great in a live fire kill house range also. Now that drug this out, stuck one of the new White Oak builds in its place and is in rack next to bed for time being. While playing with remembered the Strike Fire is night vision compatible, if rather use helmet mounted night vision than 6x night vision scope snipe coyote with might need to stay out. Will see how long it lives in rack next to bed. Had to sacrifice a different long gun as locking bedside rack only holds six long guns and picky about what I want close when go to bed. Soon as ATF gets caught up going to order some new toys for new rules Trust. Going to build a one stamp 6.8 on 1:7 Bison barrel that stabilizes subsonic ammo. Also want to get another Hybrid now that's proven will stand up to 7mm Mag or similar to keep a magnum long distance, heavy hitter parked with a can 24/7. Still way loud but can operate in a pinch without ears ringing for a week or more. Leave the M11's locked up most time as two stamp guns would double suck to loose.

hueyville
April 28, 2017, 08:21
Figured something out had totally forgotten about this rifle.

http://i66.tinypic.com/e155lk.jpg

Going to have to video this and post in manner for Nuttz to see how nuts I am. While out of vault for a few pictures decided to pop a couple caps before locking back up to make sure gas setting was right and to back my claims is tolerable without hearing protection. Being half deaf helps but is tolerable using standard milsurp ammo but realized when pushing from fire back to safe went wrong direction and it clicked into third position, hmmm. Put in safe, pushed out rear pin and swung open to remind myself which rifle had the Franklin Armory Binary Trigger group. Closed it up, click once then twice and tapped the trigger and got that beautiful double tap of trigger dropping firing pin on press and release. Hit a couple more doubles then decided to ride the b!tch.

Who needs a $20,000 M4 with a pile of stamps and paperwork reaching to moon when can put a binary trigger in a $49 lower and weld a $300 can on a clearance sale melonite treated Palmetto barrel. Little rifle runs like a scalded ape and I remember why she lives in the vault. Definitely a poodle shooter don't need stolen out of truck. Imagine the typical Hispanic crack/meth selling gang bangers around here getting it out of lock from behind seat to discover was half volume of standard AR and had a happy switch third position. There would be a drive by before midnight.

Who can figure those BATF guys out? Can't have spare wipes for an old style suppressor but they approved the binary trigger for anyone with $300 to buy. It's actually a decent trigger and an extra $100 over a Geissele gets a happy selector position. Better than my Tac Con bump triggers or Slidefire stock as don't have to hold the rifle all loosey goosey to get it running fast. Just put on target and let my 45 words per minute typing trigger finger run full speed. With round on each end of trigger stroke she will run fast and bet when take to range someone is going to ask for more than the papers on the can. Gotta remember to carry the ATF letter on Binary Triggers with the suppressor stamp in case Barney Fife needs some documents.

Ordered another of the binary triggers yesterday and going to put in the Flaming Pig. The 13.5" barrel with the trumpet looking device that directs sound forward and rolls a huge ball of fire out the end is sure to clear gumbies off the range when it goes binary mode. Like shooting my 7mm Practical with muzzle brake at public range. Before first round holler down the firing line for folks to back up and get ears covered well. Snuggle in behind it, get cross hairs where want then look down firing line as the trigger breaks. The know it alls that ignored my warnings about Thor's bark and side spitting come out of their shoes. Gotta let him cool before shoot again and next shout down the line EVERYBODY backs up, puts on/in ear pro and covers ears with hands. Before he cools enough for shot number three half or more are packing gear and leave. If have to use public range on weekend take one of the big muzzle brake rifles and if large number of yahoo's acting like fools with their SKS's that have $500 in folding stocks and clamp on muzzle brakes are actually scaring me then get a real rifle out of the truck and see who wants to keep playing. Yes, I am an @$$, USDA certified.

hueyville
May 02, 2017, 19:00
Nutzz messed up my toy budget by having to see a one stamp SBR. Pulling out the lil one stamp gun with the binary trigger, hitting a few doubles then running last half the mag in an almost full auto rate of fire mag dump reminded me how nice they are so when ordering another went ahead and made it a pair in case get popular and BATF changes their ruling won't lament missing my chance. $700 down the drain on a pair of triggers. Thats a Noveske Switchblock barrel or another suppressor.

http://i64.tinypic.com/zx8e8n.jpg

Cool thing is they now include the recommended buffer spring in the kit which a Tubbs cleared up the few issues had with my Gen 2 trigger. Reviews claim the Gen 3 triggers have solved all the issues had with Gen 1 and few had with Gen 2 units. Going to drop one in the Flaming Pig build, put the other in a different lower for the one stamp SBR then move that lower with the Gen 2 Franklin binary to a 20" Hbar for sustained shaking the bushes and brush just to discourage anyone from using for concealment. Got a bit of a price deal for buying two and now discussing how many would be required to get a real deal. If able to get even just a tad under $300 would buy a six pack, put a couple more in rifles and the rest up for future possibilites. If you have never fired a binary trigger suggest you don't or your pocketbook is going to take a hit.

MistWolf
May 04, 2017, 00:53
The Gen III doesn't solve all the problems, but it comes pretty damn close! You can still outrun the trigger, but you've really got to work at it

hueyville
May 04, 2017, 05:18
Got a tad of inside info that give some tips, before pass them out will totally verify. Going to try an MGI Rate Reducing Buffer.

*Our Rate & Recoil Reducing Buffer is self adjusting. In general this means that the more you need it the more it does. As an example of this, in recent test with two of our demo guns, we received the following results. The 11 1/2 inch barreled carbine was initially firing 1016 rounds per minute (rpm). After installing the MGI Buffer, the rate of fire dropped 271 rpm to a rate of 745 rpm. Our 20 inch barreled demo gun was initially shooting at a rate of 771 rpm. After installing the MGI Buffer the rate of fire fell 133 rpm to a rate of 638 rpm.*

Have MGI adjustible gas tubes and other product. Expensive but worth the cost. Am a non FFL dealer and get wholesale pricing so doesn't sting as bad. All FFL items ship to my FFL which on last order made a large enough minimum to make him a dealer too. Thus all parts pay direct, get wholesale pricing as do with a lot of other companies on non FFL items direct and to my FFL if need a paper trail for dot gov. Only good benefit from owning a corporation with Federal ID number, State Sales Tax number and three businesses. Also working at the LGS as a part time employee seals most deals, if don't want to step outside the gun industry have authority to open accounts for store same as any employee. Owner likes it as adds companies he can order from without getting stuck with the opening order if unsure of a product, gets to let me pay and test bed it. Run on personal cards since personal items but most companies, no matter what they sell, if a corporation calls with all credintials and meets their minimum opening order are happy to make a big sale. Will be a regular at MGI as doing me right and have great products.

With an MGI Adjustible Gas Tube in all rifles using these triggers, full auto bolts, proper recoil spring or a Tubbs Flatwire and the new rate reduction buffers hopefully won't outrun the bolt. Has only happened once to me with a Gen 3 trigger. Gen 1 was horrid, Gen 2 tolerable but both are in boxes now. If the new MGI parts help enough may try the old ones again. My Tac Con triggers are rock solid but don't like sealed triggers. If can't repair in field it's no good to me.