PDA

View Full Version : Vector RPD ?'s

TnHawk-45
April 05, 2017, 11:04
Yes I know it is not an AK, but here seemed the best place to ask.

Anybody know about them? They run reliably?

Sagerider
April 05, 2017, 13:21
I have a Wise Lite and had difficulty getting it to function when I first acquired it.
The main recoil spring was original, too stiff, and the striker spring was way too soft. I managed to get the balance right between the two after replacing the striker spring with a section of FAL inner recoil spring and clipping the main recoil spring a few coils. It was a pain in the ass but it functions fine now.
Personally I would go with a Browning 1919 in .308 after going through all the hassle.
Belt fed is pretty cool as far as cool factors go but they are freakin heavy! The RPD is lighter than the Browning for sure and shoots cheap, comparatively, ammo. The RPD has been replaced by the RPK in Russian service I understand. The RPK is lighter and does everything the RPD can do. 40 round magazines are the standard but 30 round magazines will also fit just like any AK magazine. 75 round drum magazines also work just fine reducing the belt capacity of the RPDs 100 rounds down only 25 rounds. The drum magazine and standard AK magazine are much easier and way faster to reload over reloading the RPD belts.
For functional use get an RPK, for belt fed get a Browning 1919 which can be had at Atlantic or other places. The builder/converter matters! Vector was supposed to be the better over Wise Lite. I would not have another Wise Lite anything due to selling an obviously non functional product as functional.

TnHawk-45
April 05, 2017, 14:27
Got 2 RPK's already with a rather large supply of both 75 and 100 round drums for them.

I have just liked a RPD since first running into them in Africa. Does not have the quick change barrel, but it is a hell of a lot lighter in the bush vs the M-60.

Main thing is I would like to know if any had them and liked them as they run different firing parts than the DSA/ Wiselight/ Projects Guns RPD's.

Sagerider
April 05, 2017, 15:08
I would like to know about the different systems for conversion from full auto to semi auto. All I have seen and have experience with is the Wise Lite. I ignorantly assumed there was only one. Save me from my dark dungeon of ignorance.

biohawk1
April 08, 2017, 16:58
Ive got one of the DSA rpd's. Its been a blast to shoot and honestly once you get the belt loading process down its really easy to reload the belts.

Id like to buy an additional lower and mess with the trigger and see how light I can get the pull.

Story
April 10, 2017, 10:45
I have just liked a RPD since first running into them in Africa.

Story time?

lew
April 10, 2017, 13:00
Story time?

Yeah, spill it!

:biggrin:

Abominog
April 10, 2017, 13:45
I had a vector ran like a top and accurate. Sold it here a few years ago.

TnHawk-45
April 10, 2017, 19:49
Story time?

Once upon a time a young man was assigned to the US embassy in Salisbury, RHODESIA. His duties were to asses the hunting possibilities during their 'civil war'. Doing this involved going for walks in the bush where sometimes you ran into soldiers from one side and their 'enemies'. To keep ones hide whole he was sometimes forced to pick up this or that to defend himself.

Being a 'hunter' himself the preferred thing to carry was an early M-21 as he liked to hunt LONG RANGE. Thing is he also felt it was a must to become very familiar with everything that shot he encountered. One of which was a VERY nice Soviet RPD that had fallen into the hands of the Grey's Scouts.

All of this went to shit in a hurry when Carter got cold feet and was taking the advice of Andrew Young when it came to 'what/who' needed shooting while on Safari. This is especially so when a hunter had a real BAD gu........animal in the scope and was told NOT to shoot that particular Gorilla.......................

I regret to this day NOT taking that shot.

Now I am about to have my very own semi Soviet RPD, and am old enough that I will not listen when it comes to shooting COMMUNISTS Gorilla!

That is as close as I can get, without getting my ass in a crack...........

Happy?

Blackmore
April 12, 2017, 20:24
I had a Vector semi RPD and it worked just fine.

One of the SOTs at the Eden shoot had a real one and let me shoot it with my drums and ammo..The low cyclic rate makes them very easy to control in full.

Story
April 15, 2017, 22:07
Happy?

No NDAs were harmed in the telling of this tale. *Golf clap*
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/iz7wtTO7roQ/hqdefault.jpg

Story
April 15, 2017, 22:12
I had a Vector semi RPD and it worked just fine.

There use to be a NY guy with the handle 'Frenchie' who was a Vietnam vet (IIRC), who had a pair of Vector RPDs. One he lopped down to replicate something he encountered over there.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8f/ef/3d/8fef3d33108d0604f2a49bb2a4bf9f61.jpg