PDA

View Full Version : Aguila Short Shells

hueyville
April 03, 2017, 17:53
Been playing with Aguila Short Shells. Been having good success with theseveral 7/8 ounce 1.75" 1,250 fps slugs.

http://i67.tinypic.com/2h2mmu0.jpg

Have a Browning A5 with a +8 barrel extension and it holds 19 of these in the tube and with one in chamber the entire box is ready to rock and it feeds, fires and extracts 100% with them. Normally keep it loaded with mixed #4 buck and flechette but on occasion like to try other options. Chowing down with 20 slugs before a reload is required is a lot of firepower.

They have a bishop and buckshot load in this 1.75" length also. The buck has a dozen OO buck pellets at 1,175 fps. Again, it's a lot of firepower in a shotgun that by using faster powder, shorter wads, they can get a significant payload in a smaller package. In my big A5 the tube will only hold 11 3" shells opposed to 19 of the short shells. Close to double the available rounds.

Have other specialty scattergun use for different purposes and would like to hear about others favorites. Below are just a few of my favorites that usually require a special order to get as LGS doesn't stock what your average person doesn't recognize.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2054kl4.jpg

http://i67.tinypic.com/2mczt37.jpg

The Blammo trick ammo like Bolos, Dragons Breath and such don't do a lot for me except a few select out of their line. Also like to make custom shells and love 50 caliber copper solid sabot shells.

D. Short
April 04, 2017, 21:48
Thanks for the report!! A friend turned me on to the Opsol adapter, and I have one on order for my Mossberg 500. I stocked up on the Aguila short shells several years ago, and am just now getting around to playing with them. I have never heard of anyone having success in a semi-auto however. Anything besides the A5 work with these mini's that you know of...??

gentlemanjoe
April 04, 2017, 21:54
Coincidence but today a friend wanted to try my Benelli M4 and we tried the Aquila short shells (00) but it kept trying to feed them 2 at a time. They do pack a punch though. I use the bird shot in an old single barrel beater.

hueyville
April 05, 2017, 06:48
Took a few boxes to range yesterday to try in my 3" pump gun and Benelli 3" repeater. It was a mix bag of crap. More attempted double feeds than not. The A5 proved 100% again. Two boxes without a hiccup and they warrant consideration in the right scattergun. Need to test the buckshot.

A5 use for home defense is an old 2.75" model and have the friction rings set for light loads. All of my 3" and heavy load work is done with a more modern pump gun or the Benelli. 90% of the time it's loaded with mix of Federal Premium Personal Defense Low Recoil #4 Buck and Flechette which is another low recoil and odd shooting round. Have trained wife to crouch behind bed, set the big Browning on a pillow and put another between her shoulder and the gun if possible. The gun will cycle even if held up without contact with shoulder so that's her second option, lay it across bed, lean back and start dumping rounds till it quits. Of course her 5.728 AR and my 6.8 AR will likely be empty before reaching for the A5. Lube the magazine tube with 30 weight motor oil as John Browning recomended. Keep picking up modern A5's at LGS but have two vintage A5's in 12 and a sweet 16 that is cherry and seems to make buying a modern A5 a sin.

If going modern the Benelli has become popular for a reason. Thought would get into three gun as looked like a potential skill builder and purchased the extended tube mile long scattergun that's so popular in the sport as already had all the other tools right before the car accident broke my neck and thoracic spine. Now other than work and physical therapy try to do as little pointless things to stress the body as possible except the odd day climbing. Also learned that at defense range the low recoil 12 guage rounds are 90% as effective and 1/2 the abuse. Am considering IDPA and there is an even lower impact tactical match that happens monthly nearby that's lower key than IDPA. Need to try both and see how feel the following day. If hurts enough have to miss work then it will be another "tried it" event. My work is harder most days than a 1/2 day trip to the gym.

Buddy was going to open a gun shop a few years ago, went to SHOT Show and bought all kinds of specialty stuff to set up dealerships then his location, financing fell through, discovered many manufacturers add additional fees to open online stores so now has a garage full of displays and non FFL gun accessories. He hooked me up with one of these X-Rails in the 21 +1 shot size. Have yet to mount it on a host but keep meaning to. Either have to buy another Benelli or mount to the one I have then it's got this contraption married to it. Of course it might be the best thing since sliced bread but having used one, hanging 21 shells forward of center tipping point of scattergun makes for a heavy beast but once get it running seems to balance well, just don't stop shooting.

http://i66.tinypic.com/2crmvf8.jpg

TenTea
April 05, 2017, 07:21
These are my favorite in the *housegun* :skull:
They function and perform well, although I'm shucking them through an old 870 Wingmaster.

https://ii.cheaperthandirt.com/fcgi-bin/iipsrv.fcgi?FIF=/images/cheaperthandirt/source/amm-822_1.tif&wid=480&cvt=jpeg

rarecat
April 05, 2017, 09:54
I really want to try these out in my KSG but no one seems to stock them locally. I can only seem to find them on GunBroker

Story
April 08, 2017, 05:22
Y'all overcompensating.

http://i.imgur.com/YUeZBkd.jpg

fnogger
April 08, 2017, 12:24
I really want to try these out in my KSG but no one seems to stock them locally. I can only seem to find them on GunBroker

Big Daddy Guns over by Nappy's on Tower & Newberry stocks 'em. Think I've seen them at Lawful Defense and GTR as well.

BTW - match in Lake City tomorrow morning, 9am start. 1/5 scale sillywets w/ 22lr at 75 to 150 yards.

rarecat
April 08, 2017, 21:57
thanks for the heads up!

gates
April 11, 2017, 13:51
Heh... timing... I have some on order and this is the fix to get them to reliably feed in a Mossy 500/590: OPSol Mini-Clip

STGThndr
April 12, 2017, 23:36
Maybe I should look at summa them 2" buckshot loads.. the "extra" 3/4" inches in standard buck rounds seems to be made up of shot cup... I keep an 870 w/ the extended Feinstein/Schumer device under the barrel, loaded by the bed...a few more shorter rounds might be useful and at "house range" a little less power wouldnt degrade the power factor.

gates
April 13, 2017, 00:48
From browsing around:

the slugs are stouter than the shot shells
the shot shells are a mix of no4 and no1 buck
pattern on the shot shells opens up considerably after 10yds - def a close range round
there are two adapters that work for Mossy 500/590/88
the slugs are not precision - 4" groups at 25yds
they are a bit hard to find

When I get my stuff I'll put it together and range test it - I'll let you know how it turns out -

STGThndr
April 13, 2017, 03:43
These shorty shells require special adapters to work properly? Maybe they arent such a good idea for defensive loads...

M90A1
April 13, 2017, 08:17
They work perfectly in SOME shotties with no mods. My $1,000 Benelli M3 won't work with them at all, but my $200 Chinese Stevens 320 gobbles 'em up like candy. Figures!

GOVT1911
April 13, 2017, 10:33
Heh... timing... I have some on order and this is the fix to get them to reliably feed in a Mossy 500/590: OPSol Mini-Clip

I have a few hundred of the minishells I picked up cheap when a LGS closed down a few years ago. I just ordered one of the polymer clips that reportedly work great to get them to feed in my 590a1. I guess we'll see!

gates
April 13, 2017, 15:32
Theres a guy that makes some plastic clip-ons that wrap around the receiver too - I ordered those as well - at worst it will make a fun plinking round, best case a new home defense rd for a shotty.

Artful
April 15, 2017, 14:34
My 870 worked without modifications back when I shot 3 gun :shades:

hueyville
April 16, 2017, 12:51
My 2 3/4" 1950's vintage and 1960's vintage A5's are both now proven with the light load friction ring setup. My moder 3" A5 nor Benelli like them. Break actions whether single shot, side by side or over and under feed and extract them perfectly. Imagine that, would expect all brands of break actions to work with them. ;-) Centurion has 2" and 2 1/4" offerings as well so can experiment and find shortest shell an individual or group of scattergun will reliably feed. Have both on the way and if discovered either one was reliable in all or all but one 12 gauge will likely standardize. With the long tube on the A5 difference between 18, 19 or 20 in big A5 is doubtfully a huge issue, especially if the longer shell doesn't bind up the others. Need to get my X-Rail mounted up. Bet it will elicit a few giggles from shooters end and from perps end might be a fight stopper without firing a round. Be a darn scary unit to be on wrong end of, looks like a large bore Gatling Gun.

Doubt that wife will ever be grabbing the Benelli or any 12 gauge unless world has gone totally to crap and won't accidentally load shorts into wrong scatter gun, will be grabbing next loaded gun till gets to one of our "commie guns" and the two 500 round bags of stripper clips. Would be tragic if she grabbed box of the 1 3/4" shells and took time to stuff in Benelli, modern A5 or my 3" pump guns. She has a 20 gauge repeater and a 28 gauge over and under. The 20 with 2 3/4" shells is manageable if she needs it. I would not be surprised if after running her 5.728 AR dry and spare mags if she didn't go straight for the "commie gun" as its her favorite rifle. SKS with 20 round fixed magazine, Tapcon trigger, Trijicon tritium sights and big bag of stripper clips. The extended butt pad makes it comfortable to shoot and she is fast enough with strippers than fumbling for correct mag for correct gun though I have it dead solid obvious beyond a doubt which rifles are 6.8 and which mags are 6.8. Shooting 20 rounds at a time with the SKS will likely be enough. She knows which bag of stripper clips to use if world is looking grim and which one if just wants to plough ground hogs or not shoot through too many walls.

gates
April 16, 2017, 23:23
Damn... my wife looks at my rifles and just shakes her head:-)

hueyville
April 17, 2017, 17:13
Damn... my wife looks at my rifles and just shakes her head:-)

Mine gets one for Christmas every year then through the year steals anything she sees of interest. Leave any Colt Diamondback, Colt Cobra, small or medium 380 laying out and it dissapears into some jacket pocket, purse, wheelchair, end table her side of sofa, nightstand her side of bed, etc. When sees any 30 carbine or upgraded SKS assumes it's hers and moves it someplace convenient in her mind to her. She leaves AR 15's and bigger alone unless an AR has a 5.728 upper on it. Gave up trying to build me one of the tiny poodles shooters.

Day I met her, she was wearing overalls, driving a one ton diesel flatbed truck and had a five shot Charter Bulldog in her pocket. Asked her out, she said wouldn't have time after work to go home to shower and change. Told her no problem, looked fine to me then surprise of surprises when pulled into my drive was on a 1973 Harley FLH Super Wideglide. The flatbed was a work owned truck. Would have married her that night without blood tests or references. She has been to a shoping mall twice in 25 years but lots of gun shops. I drug in box with two dozen Safariland/Protech Dyneema special threat plates last year and started swapping all my soft and steel trauma panels. Asked if had ordered her any and grinned when produced four female molded special threat plates and went straight to her closet and swapped out her plates too. When swapped all my rifle plates to Dyneema finding a female Dyneema front plate was dang hard but didn't dare not hook her up with lightweight multihit rifle plates.

Till bone disease she rode motorcycle everywhere. Except to take dog to vet didn't have a decent four wheel vehicle till I bought her a diesel 44. She rode a Harley summer, winter, hot sun, rain or snow. Will still get out of wheelchair onto Harley which has a fold up cane in saddlebag. Says would rather be dead than not ride her Roadking on occasion. Even now that she is disabled would not trade her for one of these late model young modes without at least seven figures cash boot and prenuptial on the newbie. Nahhh, seven figures wouldn't buy her...

Roadmarker
September 28, 2017, 11:08
Sounds like a keeper. Keep her well.
I just got my wife set up with the mini-shot, adapter and mossy 500. If needed I can always remove the adapter in 3 seconds and load up with length shells. She's a keeper too.