PDA

View Full Version : Return spring cleaning / lube

Vulcan
June 11, 2002, 18:39
I just built the WECSOG butt removal tool and deployed it. It worked great (thanks all responsible for sharing the idea). Now that the buttstock is off.....I find that the entire spring assy and inner tube are heavily coated with grease. I was unable to find any information regarding the proper lubrication of the springs, could someone help the FNG (again) :rolleyes:

TIA,

Vulcan

Vulcan
June 11, 2002, 21:26
Well I didnt get a response so I figured that lubrication issue are pretty much the same with rifles and riflemen as they are with big bore V-twins and bikers (my other addiction). Everybody has their own opinions i.e.; a lot of things work and you should do what you feel confidant will work. For report out sake, the action was sluggish when I started and now its crisp and snappy. I degreased the crud and grease out of the springs and spring housing till they were bone dry and clean, then applied silicone liberally to the springs and lightly in the housing, allowed to dry and wiped off the excess. This is a method that I use on bike parts exposed to weather and know that it works well.

seeya

Vulcan out

Random Chaos
June 11, 2002, 22:15
You did right, the return springs are really to be left dry but I lightly wipe down with oil the tube inside and out and also the spring. I have had to break myself of the habit of using grease on FALs. With all my other guns, I always will use a heavier lubricant than oil. Tried it once with one of my FALs and had FTF and FTX problems.

W.E.G.
June 11, 2002, 23:08
I use a light coat of Break-Free on all my FAL springs. Any light oil should do. I don't like to leave any gunparts "dry." Inevitably, "dry" gun parts become brown, rusty, unserviceable gun parts.