View Full Version : Need Help Identifying .45 ammo

April 01, 2017, 16:58
Was given these two rounds by a friend I visited today. His uncle gave him a box of these and says they were experimental rounds tested by the Air Marshals. Can't find anything on them. Case says ;"W-W 45 acp" and appears to be nylon and brass projectile.
Sorry about the title. Hit post by accident. Should read "help identifying ammo".

April 01, 2017, 17:09
You can edit the title. Click Edit, then Go Advanced and the title can be changed.

April 01, 2017, 17:30
Thanks sj.

April 01, 2017, 17:34
They do resemble sabots somewhat but upside down!

April 02, 2017, 11:14
Guy at church is a "Federal Flight Deck Officer" and carries on commercial passenger jets that are deemed high risk by computer algorythm. He is both a pilot and Sky Marshal. According to flight he may be in cockpit flying with pistol in lock box or in a seat wearing plain cloths carrying concealed. He does a lot of training and has to qualify quarterly. Says a stray bullet will not depressurize and aircraft. Even Mythbusters debunked that idea. As an ammunition collector would like to have some, look a lot like this AP shotgun slug design. Projectile buried in polymer.

Would love to test some of those to see how perform in gellitan, clay and Kevlar.

April 02, 2017, 12:03
I'm not sure this stuff I have is AP. It crossed my mind but brass (fairly certain its brass) for AP?

April 02, 2017, 19:11
If you had more than two rounds would send you a 3a Kevlar panel and an AR 400 plate. With only two would not shoot till discovered what they are.

April 02, 2017, 19:40
62 grain brass 9mm bullet for Sky Marshals has been released by Czech Republic.

Out of over two dozen articles have read since this thread began Glaser Safety Slugs are mentioned for Air Marshall use often but more than anything else SIG P229's in 357 SIG and 125 grain HP is said to be standard. Have tested many Glasers, like RIP, penetration sucks and if perp has any protection may be hard to put him down. Also on Fight Deck Officers most articles say they carry 40 Smith standard hollow point ammo.

Washington Times and NY Times both say Air Marshals are over gunned and could potentially penetrate the windshield of an air liner. Saw a test done once where shot an airliner front glass with every handgun imaginable withour penetration and culminated with two rounds of 308 put almost in same spot without busting. Our liberal press is as reliable of a resource as rumour and inuindo.

The conservative media seems to mostly mention 357 SIG in SIG's. Wiki says Glaser and many parrot that. Know the FFDO at church carries a 40 Smith to church. This is the most controdictory issue have found since JFK's assassination.

I would use a 1911 with 185 grain Hornady Critical Defense or SIG P229 in 9mm and SIG 147 grain subsonic with a suppresor on either. One of the specialty short cans that just makes sound tolerable.