PDA

View Full Version : Indian love

Red Six
March 30, 2017, 11:00
I've been collecting the pieces for an Indian build for a little bit now and I've finally got enough parts to get started (barrel, lower, gas system), given I can find the right kind of upper receiver. From what I've gathered, the Indian FALs are the love child of the metric and inch patterns, which raises my current questions...

1. Will an L1A1 receiver from DS Arms work?
a. What modifications, if any, need to be made?

2. Other than the lower and gas tube, which parts are unique to the Indian FALs?
a. For the parts that are not unique, are inch or metric parts more likely to fit an Indian build?

Any advice outside these questions is also appreciated.

(Yes, I know they're crap rifles. I have a sickness and the doctor prescribed more Pew. :whistling: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: )

DakTo
March 30, 2017, 11:24
"...(Yes, I know they're crap rifles. I have a sickness and the doctor prescribed more Pew. :whistling: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: :fal: )..."[/QUOTE]

You answered your own question...:rofl:
Now if you have everything FAL and SLR an IA1 would be a hobby capping project when parts kits were $99 and Type 1 metric receivers were $250.

If you must have a challenge then do it, but be concerned about the future return on investment of your funds.
I built one somewhere around 1990 and was disappointed with the end results and had to financially give it away.

OLDMANPBK
March 31, 2017, 01:59
If you haven't already been there get yourself to the FAL Images section of The Files using the Forum Jump feature at the bottom of this page. You will see a section called Indian 1A1 Ishapore Variant. Click on that. Lots of good info there.

G3isMe
March 31, 2017, 17:42
It is definitely a labor of love, not necessarily thought of as crap rifles by everyone here. Many members here have nice Indian builds. They are kind of the "she has a nice personality" type of FALs. You know the kind, the ones who only get the call after last call. They always work but really only look good in the dim light and you don't want your friends to see you with one....:biggrin:....

Here is the link noted earlier. Gas tube nut may or may not be unique as it may not be threaded the same as an SLR or metric. And a shameless plug, I have stock, handguards, and carry handles sets for sale. If interested give me a PM or an email....:angel:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399049

Capt D
March 31, 2017, 19:52
...And a shameless plug, I have stock, handguards, and carry handles sets for sale. If interested give me a PM or an email....:angel:

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=399049

Rick's a standup dude--you'll not be dissappointed if you do biz...stepped in a few times to help a brother (i.e., me) out...